TBS Discovery Pro

Thank you for your reply Kloner. The longarm will be great. I am thinking of using the SunnySky engines. The specs seems similar to the recommended
Tigers you have. What brand of props do you use? I am probably going for 14" or 15" for long flight times. Been thinking of RcTimer carbon props.
Seems pretty good right out of the box without balancing, or have I missed something about them?

Do not Buy RCTIMER carbon props. They WILL fail. Ask me how I know. The only prop to ever explode on lift off.

kloner

Aerial DP
Boris, just watched your vid,,, your getting a tad bit of the bounce,,,, what dampers and what kv/props are you running? is there any pre load in the gimbal bottom mount?

Barken

Hey guys, I'm building my Pro but I've ran into a snag. I got it all put together, and been flying it around a bit without any trouble. After getting the feel of the Disco, I attached the gimbal and now my I'm running into problems. The quad gives the proper warm up lights, GPS locks, motors arm and spin up, but the gimbal just shutters, never calibrates or stops moving, and the OSD/vTX keep rebooting. (tearing of colors, goes to black, flicks back on, text pops up, goes to black, rinse and repeat..) Anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm using the Naza M with the latest firmware and Futaba 8FG TX.

kloner

Aerial DP
this sounds like when a video tx is wired straight to the vtx wire to the top board,,,,,, what is the vtx? hows it wired?

Barken

this sounds like when a video tx is wired straight to the vtx wire to the top board,,,,,, what is the vtx? hows it wired?

The vTX is plugged into the vTX plug on the top plate of the Pro frame, following the build manual. I haven't had trouble with it before adding the gimbal to the equation.

kloner

Aerial DP
how big and what brand?

immersion 600mw you want to move the power down to an esc power pad instead. if it needs regulating like lawmate it needs a regulator. the core is taxed being used as the alexmos power supply.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
TBS 5.8 Ghz 200mw Rookie

Running exactly the same on mine just fine, what camera are you using?

Do you have a GoPro mounted, have you done an acc cal to reset the positioning of the gimbal?

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Barken

Running exactly the same on mine just fine, what camera are you using?

Do you have a GoPro mounted, have you done an acc cal to reset the positioning of the gimbal?

Pete

Sorry to hear that but I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm using the TBS 59 FPV, GoPro Hero 3+ Black in the gimbal. I have tried, it seemed to work momentarily but started going crazy once the power cycling starts.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Sorry to hear that but I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm using the TBS 59 FPV, GoPro Hero 3+ Black in the gimbal. I have tried, it seemed to work momentarily but started going crazy once the power cycling starts.

Not sure you quoted what you were trying to quote but my Disco Pro is working just perfectly, video below.

For those having problems with the Disco Pro gimbal I suggest you go and post on the Disco Pro thread at FPVLAB under the Team BlackSheep support area, lots of info and help there.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi folks, I'm a bit late to this thread, but put me down for the slick looking arm kit for a Disco!

@Kloner: Are these still a work in progress? Any updates? Is there a link I should be clicking?
Also, I assume they will work in the std Disco as well as the Pro? (I crash way too much to have all those electronics built in!! :) )

Thanks...

kloner

Aerial DP
these will be available in 2-3 weeks from Aerial Media Pros. We have overly engineered them to give the best performance no matter if you stay stock or go big. Fiber reinforced delrin to take beatings with cast in threads like dji arms... super clean, light weight, worth the wait

Great news. Guess I'll be treating myself for the holidays!! :)

Now, to source some cheap 16mm CF tube, because I know how this is gonna end...

SMP

Parked the DiscoPro in a tree...

Doing a thing for the Biltmore in Miami. It's a super cute, oder, quaint neighborhood and the tree's create these super dense, super long tunnels down the Avenues. At the end of the Tree Tunnel is a Fountain. Shot is down the Avenue then a 360 circle of the fountain. No GPS Lock due to tree's and no way to circle the fountain as I can barely see the bloody thing from where I'm standing at the end of the Avenue. Plan is to fly down the avenue, set it down at the end, do a cut then fly the fountain. No sweat.

Except as I'm approaching the fountain suddenly everything's looking wide open in the goggles. Good signal, and I'm like yeah, I can nail this in one shot!!... Start the swing around the fountain and at exactly the first quarter mark, screen goes blank. As was the plan, as expected, Goggles do not alter physics and the tree's cut the signal completely. I'm quietly ****ting myself. I grab a bit of air, throw GPS, (praying it grabbed a lock) and the Wife brings the truck around... we race towards the fountain. I'm like no way this thing got lock and start easing the throttle down for what I hope is some semblance of a landing.

Get to the fountain. EVERYTHING IS QUIET. Sun is shining, Birds are chirping, no sounds of a Disco trying to thrash itself to pieces. My first reaction is whew, my second third fourth and fifth reactions are, where the hell is this thing!!!!!! Nothing out of the gopro but the flight cam has a tree branches. So its not in the grass, its not in the fountain, its not in the road, its not in the air...its in a tree. One of MILLIONS and MILLIONS OF TREEEEEEEE's!!!!

Trying to start it up, nothing. Wander over to the next tree, start up nothing, etc etc... Finally we hear this click, click. Top of the bloody thing, there it is!! YES!!!! But man thats like right in the middle of "I can get that, You're an old bastard and gonna fall outta there and straight up fire truck" range.

So the wife went up ;) ;) THE SHAME!!!!!!!

So she climbs up there, takes this long stick, hooks the battery cable and manages to pull it in. Now I'm gonna hear about this forever...

Whew Recovery!!!!

Check the gopro, stopped recording 3 seconds in... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!