jffry7

aka TruckBasher
@Ken nice vid, cant wait to get my WKM. Nice music too :)

OT: was there another RC model flying around or a small aircraft perhaps? At 1:22-1:33 there was something flying...looks UFO lol

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Wow Ken that looks great! What camera mount did you use and do you have it connected to your DJI board?

Thanks, it's taken a long time and far too much $ to get to this point, feels good when it all works finally. This is what I used...

DSC00033a.jpg

Not ideal conditions, windy and for quite a bit of it I was either flying in the ground effect from the props or fighting a headwind trying to keep the hex moving.

@Ken nice vid, cant wait to get my WKM. Nice music too :)

OT: was there another RC model flying around or a small aircraft perhaps? At 1:22-1:33 there was something flying...looks UFO lol

That was the mothership heading back to orbit...;)

I was at the far end of a RC heli flying field that is roughly 4 or 5 miles from a small local airport, could have been a heli but more likely a Cessna or something headed for the local landing strip. I was too busy flying to see it as it happened, didn't notice it myself until I was in the process of carving up the 7 plus minutes of video in the original.

Ken

krleas

FPV Freak
Mini Meeting Cinestar 6 + AV200 360 pan / Kopterworx

Movie from Mini meeting. No deshaker. Enjoj.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emowillcox

Morning Ken.. thanks for posting the photo! Good looking machine. Is that the DJI GPS sensor that got cropped out from the photo? Just curious if that is how high it sticks up.
Your video really looked smooth and I am not the best with mounts.. but is that a photo higher mount and was just curious if you have it plugged in to the DJI board to get the smooth video? Thanks for all the great post and info!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Morning Ken.. thanks for posting the photo! Good looking machine. Is that the DJI GPS sensor that got cropped out from the photo? Just curious if that is how high it sticks up.
Your video really looked smooth and I am not the best with mounts.. but is that a photo higher mount and was just curious if you have it plugged in to the DJI board to get the smooth video? Thanks for all the great post and info!

The GPS pod is right at the top of the frame it's about 5 inches from the top plate to where the pod sits. DJI supplies three different lengths of support shaft, this is the longest the goal being to get the GPS as far away from the rest of the electronics as possible. Out in the open field I was getting a full GPS lock in under a minute so maybe I'll try one of the shorter ones now to see if it makes any difference. The mount is a Photohigher AV 130, the one in the picture is the older of the two I own. I was using that one when doing the initial testing of the WKM controller, currently it has the new AV130 which is much faster with the Savox servos vs the Hyperions on the old one. The two Savox are powered from a CC BEC Pro with only the signal wires connected to the WKM controller. I didn't change any of the settings for either the WKM or the gimbal compensation while I was at the field, wanted to see what I got just leaving it as-is. It was windy as you can see in the vid so probably worked out as well as possible with the current WKM firmware. There should be a new version for better stability on large multis coming out sometime this week that will likely require going through and tuning the settings all over again so there was no point in playing around with any of it yesterday.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
The Wookong-M hex finally got to fly someplace other than my backyard today, brought the Sony Nex 5N along to try the two together for some real video for a change. Here's the first try at doing a decent video with this combo, best viewed @ 720P if you have the bandwidth for it. Looks really great on my monitor in 1080P, unfortunately for some unknown reason Avid refuses to render it in anything other Windows format @ 720P, I think it may be time to consider replacing my editing software!

Still have a few things to smooth out but overall I think this is going to be a winning combo...

Ken

nice one KEN ! for me it clear the WKM and MK as a Video platform are at par, now its a question of taste additional features with the MK, or a unbeaten altitude hold and easier to control copter with the WKM. Going to be an interesting one !

Bowley

Juz, must give you credit, your flying is awesome. I am just now venturing into FPV. I'm using a 7" monitor and a small cheap cmos core. Its not the best but it kind of does the job. I have a hard time believing what I see on the screen and I'm finding it difficult to disconnect from the quad LOS and focus soley on the camera video. To be honest I crap myself.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Got to say now I have the WKM I think Ill be giving it a go..! Juz is going to take some catching though. What would be great to see is a quad chase.. can you fly two at once Juz!

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
I tried FPV for the first time yesterday,and was doing the same thing.Flying LOS then the occasional glance at the monitor.Juz just makes it look too easy;)

juz

FPV pilot
What happend?
Borneoben got it

I think he had a broken solder joint on a bullet connector
Yep yep

You make me feel sick! Sick to the back teeth.... your just getting to good! ;-)
haha, thanks mate. But I did crash!

Juz, must give you credit, your flying is awesome. I am just now venturing into FPV. I'm using a 7" monitor and a small cheap cmos core. Its not the best but it kind of does the job. I have a hard time believing what I see on the screen and I'm finding it difficult to disconnect from the quad LOS and focus soley on the camera video. To be honest I crap myself.
Get some goggles and at a large grassed area, start practicing. Don't peep!

Got to say now I have the WKM I think Ill be giving it a go..! Juz is going to take some catching though. What would be great to see is a quad chase.. can you fly two at once Juz!
I wish I had someone to fly with. I have this plan, to chase another quad around. Or have a race..

I tried FPV for the first time yesterday,and was doing the same thing.Flying LOS then the occasional glance at the monitor.Juz just makes it look too easy;)
Again, goggles are best. Start slow, just like LOS flying. You'll be right, and you'll never go back to LOS 4 sure! FPV is amazing fun.

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Is it best to have the camera pointing straight forward and level,or is it better to angle the camera down slightly?

Bowley

With full scale flying the horizon is the reference for attitude, should be no difference in 2D I reckon, going to make sure my camera is level and start looking ahead at the horizon more, see how I get on like that. I got a nice prolonged wandering hover round a pavillion last night with not too much peeking. A strong visual reference certainly makes it much easier than say just looking down at the grass. Think I'll take Juz's advice and invest in some goggles.

Anyone tried Vuzix 230's? they are only QVGA but only £150.