S900 Owner's Thread and Mini Build Log

Tahoe Ed

I have to run out but the current weight with 2x6S Turnegy 6000mAh lipos and the BMPCC is 7.27kg. My guess is that with a single lipo and electronics you should be able to get to 7kg including gimbal.

I will answer the rest of the questions shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

I'm interested in how it's different to the S1000 mainly.

With the composite fittings is there any flex in the arms?

The machined Al motor mounts and arm mounts versus the Composite items on the S900 are the major difference other than the size and two less motors.

Same interest here. The power distribution looks to be a clear improvement over the S1000. But, the arms look a little more "cost effective". Any play or flex in those mounts on the CF arm tubes?

I have not noticed any play or looseness in the arms at all. I do not know how they will stand up over time.

Here is a 72 hour test video.

Tahoe Ed

Electronic are in now time to upgrade all the electronics, set model in 14SG, calibrate in LB Assistant, calibrate in A2 Assistant, set gains (I will be using the same gains as me S1000), take off the gimbal and camera and fly.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

The manual is now up but is currently only the parts list and landing gear set up.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/s900/en/S900_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf

Attachments

• 2014-08-06 11.59.50.jpg
    2014-08-06 11.59.50.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 526
  • 2014-08-06 12.00.07.jpg
    2014-08-06 12.00.07.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 495
  • 2014-08-06 12.00.22.jpg
    2014-08-06 12.00.22.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 514
  • 2014-08-06 12.41.54.jpg
    2014-08-06 12.41.54.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 482
  • 2014-08-06 12.41.17.jpg
    2014-08-06 12.41.17.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 502

Tahoe Ed

Cool. How does the airframe feel? (or, how did you feel handling it? Yes, odd question)

Benjamin, It feels very solid. The arms actually feel more locked in than the S1000. My guess is that it has to do with the composites vs the aluminum. You actually get some friction between the contact points.

Tahoe Ed

I just finished the first 3 flights on the S900. I flew it with gimbal and camera attached. I was pretty confident in the A2 and the airframe. My first flight was 12 minutes on 10,000mAh. This was way too long. I landed at 21.4v however, when I charged the pack I put back 10,000. On my next flight on the same pack, I flew for 9:30 and put back 7000mAh. I am thinking that 10:00 on a 10000 should be comfortable. I am currently charging 2x6000mAh packs. I flew those 11minutes. I took some cell phone video from the ground, not impressive and 1080i60 streaming video on my Atomos Ninja Blade. I will put the videos together and get posted tonight. My AUW is 16.4 pounds. That includes A2, Lightbridge, Zen for BMPCC, Camera with 12mm lens, FPV cam with 3S 1000 lipo, iOSD MK II, and 10000mAh 6 lipo.

I found the S900 to be very stable, more so than the S1000 in GPS mode but not quite as stable in ATTI mode. I am splitting hairs here both are very good. Once I have the lipos dialed in and I am confident in the flying times, I will be doing some longer flights. I won't get the 15000 packs in until next week. Pony express from the east coast. Which is what you get unless you lie to the man and don't declare the lipos as hazmat.

Tahoe Ed

The cell phone video from the ground. I don't do well trying to fly and film at the same time.

ZAxis

Ed
A question about the motor mounts. On the S1000 they are machined aluminium but plastic on the S900. The motor plate bolts are lock tited in to the aluminium mounts, this is not an option for the plastic mounts. How do you secure these bolts against loosening through vibration?

andy

PS excellent thread, really informative and open. Keep it up.

Tahoe Ed

Ed
A question about the motor mounts. On the S1000 they are machined aluminium but plastic on the S900. The motor plate bolts are lock tited in to the aluminium mounts, this is not an option for the plastic mounts. How do you secure these bolts against loosening through vibration?

andy

PS excellent thread, really informative and open. Keep it up.

Andy, I have not removed a mount. My guess is that there a metal sleeves molded into the composite. After the new wears off this weekend, I will open up one of the motor mounts and show some pictures.

Tahoe Ed

Was the wandering when you were rotating introduce by you or normal behavior?

Most of it was me. But some was the craft. Slow yaws with a little breeze in GPS, 5-6mph, you will see it. I only had one hand so I could not correct it.

econfly

Most of it was me. But some was the craft. Slow yaws with a little breeze in GPS, 5-6mph, you will see it. I only had one hand so I could not correct it.

While you are being loaded up with questions, I'm very interested in some detailed insight of the differences between your S1000 and S900 with that BMPCC Zen. I was out with my S1000/BMPCC setup today. Finally had some time to work on the 433MHz UHF for flight control and Lightbridge for the gimbal. It's working great so far, and I was noting again today how this rig is about perfectly loaded. I have 2x8000 batteries and if I switch into manual mode it hovers right at mid-stick. The all-up weight is 8.8kg. So what do you think the pros/cons are of the 6-rotor 900 over the 8-rotor 1000 with the BMPCC Zen?

soler

I am surprised that there is yaw in GPS mode, I would expect some if in Atti with a little wind but not GPS

Mikeq

While you are being loaded up with questions, I'm very interested in some detailed insight of the differences between your S1000 and S900 with that BMPCC Zen. I was out with my S1000/BMPCC setup today. Finally had some time to work on the 433MHz UHF for flight control and Lightbridge for the gimbal. It's working great so far, and I was noting again today how this rig is about perfectly loaded. I have 2x8000 batteries and if I switch into manual mode it hovers right at mid-stick. The all-up weight is 8.8kg. So what do you think the pros/cons are of the 6-rotor 900 over the 8-rotor 1000 with the BMPCC Zen?

Good question. I'm trying to decide between and S900 and S1000 right now. What kind of flight times are you getting with the S1000 and BMPCC? I will probably stick with the BMPCC but may get a GH4 and gimbal too. Is it easy to swap gimbals on these or would that be unrealistic?

fdproductions

FD Productions
Ed,

call me next time you have to do this I can have my guy on the ground shoot you and I can film you from the air, I would have made the trip from so cal :) 9495052055
The cell phone video from the ground. I don't do well trying to fly and film at the same time.

fdproductions

FD Productions
was she way faster and more acrobatic than the s1000 with stock gains, i love how my evo flys hoping it'll be the same...

Tahoe Ed

The S1000 is definitely more sedate than the S900. The advantage of the S1000 over the S900 is greater safety if one motor goes out with an octo vs a hex. You will have greater lifting capacity with the S1000. One of the limitations of the size of the S900 is the height of the landing gear. I am going to suggest to DJI that they have an option for taller landing gear. Right now when the BMPCC goes through its calibration, it hits the corners of the camera/gimbal on the ground. I don't have the option of taking off from grass right now. I think that is one of the reasons that the 5D is not a supported gimbal. One is the weight but the other factor is the height of the gimbal itself. Also with the S900 you are gong to be limited to a 15-16,000mAh lipo. The 20,000's are just too big. One of the other testers is using 2x8000 which is the same battery combination that he uses on his S1000. If I had to choose one over the other right now, I would lean toward the S900. Less pucker factor, good flying times with less expensive lipos, smaller form factor for both storage and transport. That said, I do like my S1000. The BMPCC is the camera that I am planning stick with for a while so the S1000 is over kill.

Tahoe Ed

was she way faster and more acrobatic than the s1000 with stock gains, i love how my evo flys hoping it'll be the same...

I won't be exploring those limits until the new wears off in the next few weeks. Plus I have Phantoms and a 4S F330 for more aggressive flying. :)

Tahoe Ed

I am surprised that there is yaw in GPS mode, I would expect some if in Atti with a little wind but not GPS

The best FC for controlling yaw in a GPS piro was a F450 with Naza V2 on v1.8 of the firmware. It would spin forever on a dime. The later versions have lost that precision but have added many more features that make that loss not as significant. It does not bother me as I can compensate for a slow yaw. I did try some fast yaws and it held fine.