Photohigher skyline rsgs

Blacksails

Chris - maybe I'm not thinking all the way thru it, but for them to have a common ground, do the RX and RSGS have to share thMesame power supply? I thought the RSGS needed to be powered independent of the flight system, i.e. the RX.

Nope. Common ground just means that all negative (Black/Ground) wires from each supply connect at some point within the circuit.

I'm using one pack to power my servos, RSGS and RX. My RX for gimbal control is powered by the RSGS wires connected to it

PondMedic

Cool. I'll give it a try. That still leaves the manual tilt drifting. I've tried every setting in the RSGS set up software and still cannot keep the tray tilted at a certain angle. It slowly drifts back to level. BTW - this is occurring in FW 1.2.0. Anyone else having this issue and found a resolution?

Hi guys,

Quick update of where we're at:

We sent FW1.2 out to people to test along with a manual. They then came back and highlighted a whole lot of confusing bits in the manual and bits they had trouble with. We are now addressing those. The manual is just about finished (next few days).

As you've seen, pan stabilization works. There is one problem though if your landing gear is attached to your gimbal, when you're on the ground, it spins around and around. This isn't a problem if your landing gear is fixed to your main aircraft frame. We're looking at ways to disable the pan while the aircraft is on the ground for aircraft (with landing gear mounted to gimbals).

Regarding the resistor, any value between 2-3K ohms (2000 -3000 ohms) will do, 1/4 or 1/8watt works well anything bigger is simply to bulky. They just need to be equal. We'll be sending dummy pots out to our distributors as well for those who want them.

We have created a public issue tracker here https://bitbucket.org/photohigher/skylinefirmware/issues. If you have problems or recommendations with the Skyline, you can create an issue with a description and we'll work on it.

Wellington is has been storming the last few days so we're a tad grounded at the moment.

Oti

Blacksails

The pan stabilisation causing frames to spin before take-off with landing gear mounted gimbals seems like a major problem. Especially when you consider that the 360 kit you sell is landing gear mounted. Orientation problems before even lifting off is the last thing we need.

You seem to be sorting out all of the original issues quickly and I commend your efforts, but please do not release this new firmware with a problem as major and annoying as that sounds.

Don't take that the wrong way. I've stuck by you, confident that you would fix the issues, which you have. I simply don't want you ruining the respect you've managed to regain from a lot of forumites by releasing unfinished/slightly flawed FW.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you used a PPM sum system, you may be able to get more functions streaming through a single wire (and cleaning up that loom) but the downside is that most may not have one of those receivers yet. Alternatively for those that don't use Tx control to slew the roll, could that cable be used to enable disable pan on the fly?

Hi guys,

As you've seen, pan stabilization works. There is one problem though if your landing gear is attached to your gimbal, when you're on the ground, it spins around and around. This isn't a problem if your landing gear is fixed to your main aircraft frame. We're looking at ways to disable the pan while the aircraft is on the ground for aircraft (with landing gear mounted to gimbals).

Oti

The pan stabilisation causing frames to spin before take-off with landing gear mounted gimbals seems like a major problem.
This is unavoidable if you are using a gyro to stabilise Pan. It cannot correct when on the ground, so keeps spinning. The only way out is to switch the gyro in and out.
I am currently using a headlock gyro to stabilise pan and it can be switched on after takeoff.
I suppose the pan servo could be switched on and off with a rx controlled switch like this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8833__Turnigy_Receiver_Controlled_Switch_.html
Personally I wouldn't want a further delay just to get this working.

ppmsum is a great solution
a fourth pwm channel to switch on and off the panstabilization is another very good solution
If none of the above is applicable we could have the option to activate or deactivate the pan stab by some sort of code with the existing channels? i.e. 4x quick "up" tilt inputs (led confirming)?...in the end just after take off and right before landing the camera must be flat and an "up" tilt input doesn't move anything (at least in slew....)

lanzo

Yes switching the stabilization on and off would be great for me too, we can flight without stabilization, a customer asked for it too.

Cr_Conrad

Hello.

What a shame. I bought a gimbal stabilization IMU but now i am sure i bought a ticket for a experience, for a BIG HEADACHE.
I have all setup like the official Photohigher page info oriented us, i have the 1.1.6 FW, but when the Skiline comes on the roll servo starts to spin forever.
It almost broked my Cinestar gimbal.
Where i can find a real guide to make this thing works ?
What is this about fake pots ?

Where can i buy a real 3 axis gimbal stab IMU ready to play, not another experience with me paying for this ?

Regards

Cristiano

Hi Cristiano,

To save yourself a headache, please put the Skyline back in the box and wait for a few more days. As you can see from the videos, everyone (as far as I can see) who has tested the new firmware (1.2) has got it working well. The last week or so has been really good. You'll have fun with the red disk next week.

Oti

nicwilke

Hello.

What a shame. I bought a gimbal stabilization IMU but now i am sure i bought a ticket for a experience, for a BIG HEADACHE.
I have all setup like the official Photohigher page info oriented us, i have the 1.1.6 FW, but when the Skiline comes on the roll servo starts to spin forever.
It almost broked my Cinestar gimbal.
Where i can find a real guide to make this thing works ?
What is this about fake pots ?

Where can i buy a real 3 axis gimbal stab IMU ready to play, not another experience with me paying for this ?

Regards

Cristiano

Go back 10 or so pages and read the forum and what has been happening with the Skyline Cristiano... It will help you to understand what is going on, rather than someone having to repeat it all.

Cr_Conrad

Oti.

Some of us do not use multirotors for hobby, but to work and we need something ready to use, not to make us loose our time.
Right now i have a very expensive (Custom´s taxes in Brasil reaches 100%) SkyJib 8 (Axis 4120/20 - Aerodrive8) stopped because i have no 3 axis gimbal working.
That SkyJib is the only machine able to handle some of my big cams and i am LOOSING A LOT OF MONEY.

The point of all this is only a try to tell you when we bought a PHOTHIGHER branded product we have a idea we are buying a professional product and you are takin risk to through all your reputation in the trash.

I will wait for your firmware, but if this thing do not work frmo the start i will send it back to Matjaz (Kopterworx).

I AM NOT A BETA TESTER AND NOT WHANT TO MAKE MYSELF A CIENTIST TO MAKE THIS THING WORK.

Regards

Cristiano

Hi Cristiano,

To save yourself a headache, please put the Skyline back in the box and wait for a few more days. As you can see from the videos, everyone (as far as I can see) who has tested the new firmware (1.2) has got it working well. The last week or so has been really good. You'll have fun with the red disk next week.

Oti

nicwilke

Christian,
This problem should be fixed in a couple of days. Why don't you just revert to the camera stabilizer that you were using previous to the Skyline?

Cr_Conrad

Christian,
This problem should be fixed in a couple of days. Why don't you just revert to the camera stabilizer that you were using previous to the Skyline?

I already have another machine with 2 axis gimbal.
I need 3 axis for some jobs.

I will wait for new firmware, can i know how much days for release ?
1001 Copters have this thing working at 2 axis at least, can someone how he made this, what FW version and connections.
I have the cinestar gimbal with the 1001 Copters adapter.

I am reading all pages of this topic, i am at page 30 now but nothing really clear.

Regards

Cristiano

Cr_Conrad

Cedric, I love the way you hype the products you sell.

Hate to butt in....... but Picloc does not have any 'analogic' stuff in it. Zero, It is full digital. Only the battery level measuring part is analogic to be 10000% politically correct.

To boot, it can work in MK way ( what you call the analogic way'... ie mounted on PAN Axis and driving all servos proportionally,
AND..
With the SAME firmware, it is able to work a 3 axis, full 360 continuous rotation servo gimbal, in exactly the same way that Skyline is doing... ie self stabilizing.

The only difference with Skyline is that Photohigher have chosen to go the difficult route and use two servos per wire.. ie a fake 1500us centre pulse in one wire, and the actual piloting signal goes to the potentiometer ('analogic') input !!! hint !!

The way they do it is by using a pwm signal to make a variable DC voltage to the potentiometer' analogic' input and drive the servo from there.

From my tests on specific high performance servos, this method has no performance advantages then when driving a servo at 333Hz or 400Hz, incidentally, both refresh rates, Picloc has been able to generate from day 1.

Sorry.. for jumping in 'your' thread, but I always tend to jump in when someone says something which is not true about my little boxes.

Thanks !!

George

George

From my point of view all this discussion is not important. All we need is a working 3 axis stabilization board and you both (Photohigher and you) failed about offering this.
I bought a Picloc 3x Pro from Matjaz and after wait for 3 months for a avaliable unit it arrived and did not work at all, the USB conector was half loose from the box (with no use), and in the foruns boards you can see some other customers have the same problem. Matjaz had no other Picloc to send and sent me this red disk what is useless until now.

There is no Picloc avaliable in retailers, some of them do not whant to offer your "little box" anymore because you can not keep it in the stock and it causes a lot of trouble.

U both failed.

I am ordering the ugly FreeFly 3 boxes (UGLY but working is GOOD), and God save me from another failure.

Sorry for the rash but i am ANGRY.

Cristiano.

Kari

Oti.

Some of us do not use multirotors for hobby, but to work and we need something ready to use, not to make us loose our time.
Right now i have a very expensive (Custom´s taxes in Brasil reaches 100%) SkyJib 8 (Axis 4120/20 - Aerodrive8) stopped because i have no 3 axis gimbal working.
That SkyJib is the only machine able to handle some of my big cams and i am LOOSING A LOT OF MONEY.

The point of all this is only a try to tell you when we bought a PHOTHIGHER branded product we have a idea we are buying a professional product and you are takin risk to through all your reputation in the trash.

I will wait for your firmware, but if this thing do not work frmo the start i will send it back to Matjaz (Kopterworx).

I AM NOT A BETA TESTER AND NOT WHANT TO MAKE MYSELF A CIENTIST TO MAKE THIS THING WORK.

Regards

Cristiano

Guys, please! Stop blaming PH ruining your business with unfinished product, IMHO this is ridiculous. Any serious professional aerial videographer/cinematographer should not base the business reliant for one tiny component. I think for production machines you should stick something more mature until new systems have proven reliability for production level. We are in a phase of development where things go very fast forward, every single manufacturer of these systems does mistakes with this speed of development and hyping their products. We all know PH has started selling Skyline too early, but PH has worked very hard last weeks and i have tried beta 1.2.0 and i'm sure next public version will work great. I think we should give PH to take whatever time it takes to finish this so most of us will be satisfied.