Photohigher skyline rsgs

Ab74

Ab74 quite good results. What about in windy conditions or some fast stick movements?

Thanks! It was still good when it got a bit gusty. My main problem was, some jello effect on my video. It was a copter vibration issue. I just changed to a brand new set of balanced props. But other than that, the rsgs performance was actually good. I had to dial down the tilt gains by a whole lot.

What I don't like about it was when toggling between power on and power off, while connected to the computer, the roll slams heavily to its right side. Hoping there's a fix for this. And also, wiring seems to be messy now.

I'm doing another test shoot tomorrow morning. I'll take some photos also of my setup.

It's a standard mk hexa xl with rc tiger motors.

Arnold
Manila, Philippines

nicwilke

Thanks!

Yes, optical steadshot works very well in aerials, I'm really happy with this camera.
I used a lot of expo on the pan axis, 97% if I remember right, which helps on smoothing the movements, soft start and stop.

yes, support for canon 550, 7D, 5Dmk2 and 3, and lots if other brands.easy to set up

DennyR

So here we are and it's now Wed. and no sign of the illusive firmware from PH so do we send em back and ask for our money back? This product is not fit for purpose. Is there another solution, well actually yes there is. It costs a lot less but it needs some expertise before you can use it. It does have a sensor that is about fifty times better than this POS. Give em another week and then I will publish this solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey guys,

I think we're there!!

What do you think of our demo video?

http://vimeo.com/46407269

...The mutlirotor we are using isn't going too well (as you can hear) and is shaking quite a bit.

We are writing instructions now as the setup is quite different... will release some quick instructions tomorrow for those who are tech savy and some detailed instructions by the end of next week.

I'll post the beta firmware tomorrow for you guys and if you get good results over the weekend, I'll put it on our website.

Cheers,
Oti

DennyR

Oti
Well you did ask so here is what I think, but this is only my opinion which may be a lot different to some others. The demo video could have been shot a lot better because you have far too many movements outside of the cameras refresh rate. If you slow down a bit we might be able to see what's going on. On the positive side It looks very much better than what you had before. I would like to see what happens when you take off and just hover for a minute to see what drift you are getting. Then a few slow movements with just a trim input to set the slew going.

Great to see some effort going into this at last. Well done.

With my own AV130 I have some backlash coming from the servos and the mechanical system. I think this could be making it hard to get any kind of feed back resolution around the neutral position. Maybe a spring could help this situation and then you can tighten up the deadband in the next version.

Hi Oti,
nice to here you :)

I'm not a profesionnal in images but to demonstrate the property of a stabilization product it should be a good idea to use a test protocol.
what does customers want to see ?

- is the horizon is well conserved on small movments, bigger movments
- is there some tilt/roll jitter ?

To show this: use a wall with horizontal line (bricks or other), do a slow/fast translation along the wall at different distances : close and far
on the side of the go pro, place a laser liner (non stabilized) that will project an horizontal line on the wall like this w can see the conservation of the horizon

About the gopro: buy a lens that diminish the field of view to remove the eyefish effect that give difficuties to evaluate the conservation of the horizon.

I'm ipatient to be tomorow :)

nicwilke

I like how you use the roughest hex you could find Oti , hehe. That thing sounds like a 2 stroke vespa. anyway, looking good, and I'm looking forward to getting the RSGS running. I see you are showing the results on a poorly tuned test bed, as a 'control' method. Thanks PH for working on this.

What about using something less wide than a Gopro? Just a personal preference in order to evaluate the results. Anyway: it looks good. Thanks and keep up with the good job!

anyvision

Thanx for staying tuned and fix the problems - to get this rsgs become the same quality product as known from your company and almost reaches "made in Germany" :)

It is nice to hear the news from PH, but have you tried to use some heavier camera , the heavier camera the more problems with tilt jitter !
I m worried that it is gonna be good with gopro and not with 550 or gh2 !
Anyway thanks fro trying and look forward to trying the new version and if still no good we can let you know what to work on 1

Nice to see PH HQ and it looks cold down there!
From the short clips of it stationary on the ground it looks like the jitter has gone! Yay!

DennyR

Certainly the GoPro is making it look better than it is. the test would be to see what it does with a 550D and a 35 or 50 mm lens. I'll do that over the weekend. After watching the GP....

koptercam

RED Epic or ARRI Mini? Both!
Thanks for the test Oti!
Things are looking promising although... I would very much like to see a test on an AV200 and with a heavier camera. Main reason is that from reading through this forum, the AV130 has already been showing a few better results than the AV200, maybe because of its smaller size.

Also on a side note as a few have already mentioned, i dont think the GoPro is really the best to show results for sabilisation because of its huge wide angle.

Looking forward to see what the next couple days brings!

PairAir

For the tilt jitter is enough to just power on the Skyline and leave it on the table :)

I agree. Here's what mine looks like

http://youtu.be/bOCg5ZvdX5w

I've tried the H-loom and it made no difference. I have even tried to power the Skyline from an adjustable ps and the servos from a dedicated bec and lipo, and that made no difference. This is not the most rigid gimbal, so that might be worsening the ratteling. It seems like every 5 seconds there is a "jitter" on roll axis, followed by a twitch on tilt.

/Pär

ChrisViperM

There is a good article about servos and servo jitter:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/actuators_servos.shtml

One thing is for sure...if the camera is not absolutely perfectly balanced on the gimbal and ther is even a slight load on the servo, the servo constantly tries to find its center, which mostly results in jitter. I also know that not every servo is a good choice for working in a gimbal. I have seen a lot of Savox servos used for gimbal, but in Singlerotor helis they have caused lots of problems with Flybarless Stabi systems - which are somehow compareble to FC's or gimbal stabilisation. I am far away from being a DJI fan, but I guess that's the reason for the outstanding performance of the Zenmuse....all the hardware is not changable, the center of gravity is set perfectly for either NEX5 or GH2 and the stabi software is mached to exactly that hardware. For some people this limitation is a drawback, but it's the only way to get this results. I really doubt that with all the countless variations of Gimbal/Servo/Camera weight/Camera COG any software will be capable to come close to Zenmuse. It will work better for some people, for some others it will be worse, but I would not put to much hope on "we are all happy now"....

Chris

PairAir

Thank you Chris, and I totally agree to that too. However, I forgot to mention that the problem goes away when any of the two servos is disconnected. That seems to be the case for most users.

/Pär

ChrisViperM

Thank you Chris, and I totally agree to that too. However, I forgot to mention that the problem goes away when any of the two servos is disconnected. That seems to be the case for most users.

/Pär

Do You use a Ferrite ring on your servo cables: View attachment 5421
Most of the time with that you get rid of interference from the sourrounding hardwares. If that doesn't help the interference might already happen on the stabi board.

Well the zenmuse don't use servos but other kind of motors so the problem is different.

That's true, they use pretty cheap (price wise ~ $ 35,-) stepper motors, but the trick is not the motors, it's the dedicated hardware/software combination. Take the Zenmuse and exchange ANY of the hardware parts, nevermind how good and expensive, it won't perform anymore. I am not a big fan of Apple (neither Microsoft) for erydays work, but most of the time Apple is a reliable product due to its closed and restrictedhardware circle.

Attachments

• ext_ferrite.jpg
    ext_ferrite.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 278

nicwilke

Well the zenmuse don't use servos but other kind of motors so the problem is different.
The stepper motors will soon be available for the AV series no? I thought we will be swapping out our servos with the new mini stepper motors, running RSGS....