Mikrokopter MK Firmware 0.88 online now

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
This thread shows how everyone is stumbling around in the dark

AND LADIES and GENTLEMEN

They have attempted to accomplish this only with the sprawling, largely incomprehensible wiki.

This is what is known as SMOKE AND MIRRORS. After numerous attempts over the past few weeks all attempts to get a response from MK has failed one of our most informative vendors to open a dialogue with MK to try and get information to help the investors in the MK system who have never got all the true answers to their questions. For those it has worked for I am sure it is a great tool.. but I am guessing for the vast majority of the yearlings in to this deeply addictive pastime are as about as out of pocket as myself with MK kit sat in boxes. MK have lost the plot in my opinion, they have closed the curtains and doors to all but their most avid supporters. It has got to be hurting them financially as the DJI train and others take advantage of their German arrogance.. Sorry all u Germans out there this is not a dig at you all but I have worked with Germans for the past 15 years and no matter what suggestions are made they are generally ignored.. well almost.. the forest dwellers of the south listen.. but are they German.. they claim not.. declaring themselves BAVARIAN. Forest dwellers to the rest of Germany!

None the less I have learnt a great deal over the last 12 months.. I have filled more of my grey cells with useless out dated wikis than I care to remember.. I have edited, compressed, updated, re-evaluated and rewritten pages of the bloody things trying to understand and compile a logical explanation that you can go out, read, understand, and translate it to making your copter fly like a dream.. anyone want the 30 odd pages of text tables and comparisons I have compiled? I almost got there.. then a bit fell of a BL and put me back another three weeks, then a unexplained 12c error, 6 weeks later I have a copter with a FC that has spent more time in the post back and forth to MK than it has in the air.. well apart from in a DHL plane.

Any one want a challenge? I have a hexa BL2 distro, 2.1 FC latest navi and GPS, extension PCB, with less than 140 mins flight time recorded a couple of Jeti RX's, Graupner MX22, Jetibox and a 2.4 duplex plug in.. actually 2 coz I though one was duff but it was'nt, a few bussers, a few spare BL2's and a mag unit.. ah and a blue tooth set up.. LOTS.. guess I have just down valued the lot by posting this! Ah well if it stops some poor bugger going through the pains I have then I will sleep better

Now I just enjoy flying and with out a single wiki in sight..

Bliss!

Opps I need to go edit my footnotes!

Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Ross, FYI for future updates you don't need to re-bind your RX. The RX does not know or care what version the FC is. You can put .82, .88 or upload Lady GaGa into it and it doesn't matter. :D After updating just change the RX type in the settings back to Spektrum Hi-Res and it will function perfectly.

I sussed that out tonight...after I started the binding process. Silly me :(

Ross

Macsgrafs

AND LADIES and GENTLEMEN

This is what is known as SMOKE AND MIRRORS. After numerous attempts over the past few weeks all attempts to get a response from MK has failed one of our most informative vendors to open a dialogue with MK to try and get information to help the investors in the MK system who have never got all the true answers to their questions. For those it has worked for I am sure it is a great tool.. but I am guessing for the vast majority of the yearlings in to this deeply addictive pastime are as about as out of pocket as myself with MK kit sat in boxes. MK have lost the plot in my opinion, they have closed the curtains and doors to all but their most avid supporters. It has got to be hurting them financially as the DJI train and others take advantage of their German arrogance.. Sorry all u Germans out there this is not a dig at you all but I have worked with Germans for the past 15 years and no matter what suggestions are made they are generally ignored.. well almost.. the forest dwellers of the south listen.. but are they German.. they claim not.. declaring themselves BAVARIAN. Forest dwellers to the rest of Germany!

None the less I have learnt a great deal over the last 12 months.. I have filled more of my grey cells with useless out dated wikis than I care to remember.. I have edited, compressed, updated, re-evaluated and rewritten pages of the bloody things trying to understand and compile a logical explanation that you can go out, read, understand, and translate it to making your copter fly like a dream.. anyone want the 30 odd pages of text tables and comparisons I have compiled? I almost got there.. then a bit fell of a BL and put me back another three weeks, then a unexplained 12c error, 6 weeks later I have a copter with a FC that has spent more time in the post back and forth to MK than it has in the air.. well apart from in a DHL plane.

Any one want a challenge? I have a hexa BL2 distro, 2.1 FC latest navi and GPS, extension PCB, with less than 140 mins flight time recorded a couple of Jeti RX's, Graupner MX22, Jetibox and a 2.4 duplex plug in.. actually 2 coz I though one was duff but it was'nt, a few bussers, a few spare BL2's and a mag unit.. ah and a blue tooth set up.. LOTS.. guess I have just down valued the lot by posting this! Ah well if it stops some poor bugger going through the pains I have then I will sleep better

Bliss!

Dave there is rememdy to this problem.
Write the CEO of MK, informing him that he has 10 working days to provide a complete workign guide to the MK firmware or if you have to do it yourself, then you will bill them £260 per hour or part thereof, if no response within 10 working days send them a letter with "Opportunity to cure", see what sort of response you get then?
I agree MK wikis are terrible...customer support provided by other customers reminds me of the microsoft scenario & how they are being taken to court.

Ross

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
AND LADIES and GENTLEMEN

Bliss!

I'll take all that Mk gear off your hands if you're not going to use it, I'll build up another FPV multi and have some spares to add to my collection!

I like both WKM and MK and I don't find tuning the parameters on the Mk to be a difficult task but then again I've been a computer geek for going on 30 years now so these things really don't bother me all that much...

Ken

Tahoe Ed

Ken, I have a MK that I will sell you. Hexa FC2.1, Navi 1.1 with Mag and GPS, BLC2.0 all updated to the latest firmware and xbee. This includes a MD-1 gimbal and LG. I will even throw in an extra BLC. You interested?

Ab74

Hi Ken! Did you input your old PID settings and stuff, or are you using default .88 settings? Your flight result is very interesting. I'll probably do it on my okto 2 1st.

Thanks!

Arnold
Manila, Philippines

@Ab74 "Musta kapatid", despite many negative claims towards MK, I'd say .88e is a great release. About settings, make sure you manually enter all the settings once you get to 88e ( Take a screen shot of current PID to refer to ). Per Holger, the new version writes setting file differently now and just to be on the safe side, manually enter it across the board..

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken, I have a MK that I will sell you. Hexa FC2.1, Navi 1.1 with Mag and GPS, BLC2.0 all updated to the latest firmware and xbee. This includes a MD-1 gimbal and LG. I will even throw in an extra BLC. You interested?

Maybe, send me an email with what you are looking to get for it and we can discuss.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi Ken! Did you input your old PID settings and stuff, or are you using default .88 settings? Your flight result is very interesting. I'll probably do it on my okto 2 1st.

Thanks!

Arnold
Manila, Philippines

No I started as though it were a new build, I reset the boards to default settings and reflashed everything including the compass, then did all of the calibrations again before the initial test flight. Once I got an idea of how it was flying I made adjustments as needed and I find that unless it's a large and heavy setup they tend to fly quite well with almost default settings where there may have been significant changes made in the older firmware to get the same quality of flight. Only settings that I copied and reused were for the camera gimbals, everything else I started with default settings after updating. Right now I have my original Hexa V1 and my new 550mm FPV quad on the new firmware and both fly exceptionally well with solid GPS hold, at least as good P/H as either of the WKM I currently have flying. MK altitude hold is significantly better than any previous firmware version I've used but still not quite as locked in as a DJI controller but getting much closer.

The one place I've found the MK to be clearly superior to DJI is stability in gusty wind and I've noticed the MK gimbal stabilization is a bit better as well. I could easily make a case for having both flight controller systems on similar setups if I were doing this commercially, there are times when the advantages of one make it more suitable for a job than the other but given the current state of firmware and all else being equal if I had to pick one to make a living with I'd have to go with MK at the moment, waiting to see what difference the upcoming DJI firmware is going to make on a large heavy hex in windy condtions, if it fixes the majority of the current issues that might tip my decision in the other direction.

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was telling myself if i stayed in this red-taped hobby I would buy an MK as I really want to film us kitesurfing. But every time i read these posts there is no way I am going to buy something that has so many issues. It seems those who have good luck with it got a good batch and never had to mess around with it. But when things require adjustments you are in trouble. I didnt even know my WKM had altitude hold!

Ab74

No I started as though it were a new build, I reset the boards to default settings and reflashed everything including the compass, then did all of the calibrations again before the initial test flight. Once I got an idea of how it was flying I made adjustments as needed and I find that unless it's a large and heavy setup they tend to fly quite well with almost default settings where there may have been significant changes made in the older firmware to get the same quality of flight. Only settings that I copied and reused were for the camera gimbals, everything else I started with default settings after updating. Right now I have my original Hexa V1 and my new 550mm FPV quad on the new firmware and both fly exceptionally well with solid GPS hold, at least as good P/H as either of the WKM I currently have flying. MK altitude hold is significantly better than any previous firmware version I've used but still not quite as locked in as a DJI controller but getting much closer.

The one place I've found the MK to be clearly superior to DJI is stability in gusty wind and I've noticed the MK gimbal stabilization is a bit better as well. I could easily make a case for having both flight controller systems on similar setups if I were doing this commercially, there are times when the advantages of one make it more suitable for a job than the other but given the current state of firmware and all else being equal if I had to pick one to make a living with I'd have to go with MK at the moment, waiting to see what difference the upcoming DJI firmware is going to make on a large heavy hex in windy condtions, if it fixes the majority of the current issues that might tip my decision in the other direction.

Ken

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I've a new WKM installed on a hexa2. I'll be happy if my MK heavy-lift hexa would be as stable in flight as the DJI. But you're right. Even at .84FW, I still prefer flying my MKs on windy situations than my WK-M. Well, I just downloaded the FW and koptertools. Here goes...

Arnold
Manila, Philippines

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I sussed that out tonight...after I started the binding process. Silly me :(

Ross

What is "sussed"

as in, THe Who's Tommy, "Hey you getting drunk, so sorry...I've got you sussed". I never saw it outside of that Who song.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
"hey you smoking mikro kopter! this is a bust"

Only time I ever smoked an MK was after mistakenly connecting a pair of 4S in series rather parallel! :surprise:

It did launch rather smartly with smoke coming out under the dome from the blown 25V capacitor on the F/C board, quite a sight and one I'd rather not repeat...

Ken

Only time I ever smoked an MK was after mistakenly connecting a pair of 4S in series rather parallel! :surprise:

It did launch rather smartly with smoke coming out under the dome from the blown 25V capacitor on the F/C board, quite a sight and one I'd rather not repeat...

Ken

Yeah man, Smoke is the magic trick.. We need to keep that smoke magic insides those SMB parts.. We can't afford to let those smoke out of their cage.

Ab74

@Brimestone

"Kapatid"!!

Thanks for your tips as well. I didn't bite into the .86 upgrade after hearing some flyaways. I just tested my octo. It really does seem more stable now. I forgot to bring my MK-USB to properly tune GAS settings in the altitude hold. But overall, manual mode, and position hold, it's working nice and solid. WUHUUU!! Just in time for my CS6 build.

Shoot me a message/email when you come to Manila. =) Multi-rotor community is catching up fast here in the Philippines. Although there's but a handful of us using the MK system. Lot's of Naza's and Crius'.

Now back to fine-tuning this octo...

Thanks
Arnold

edit:

Brimestone: Please dropby our facebook site. And maybe post a picture or two of your cinestar. =)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Multi-Rotor-Philippines/145452985573204

And also a dedicated thread at rcphilippines.com:
http://www1.rcphilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,5393.0.html

Thanks!

Macsgrafs

What is "sussed"

as in, THe Who's Tommy, "Hey you getting drunk, so sorry...I've got you sussed". I never saw it outside of that Who song.

Sussed...means to understand your mistake here in the yUK ;)

I know you guys in the states have different meanings to us...we buy a packet of 20 fags to smoke...you guys would start turning your backs to the wall ;) ;) ;)

Ross

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Sussed...means to understand your mistake here in the yUK...

Don't fret Ross. They all walk around in public wearing pants!

You know what, without getting into the whole American Anglish thang, and the fact that they cannot spell properly :dejection:, I have often wondered what word they use to describe cutting a channel in a plank of wood. We would say "rout", but they would get confused, thinking we were giving road directions for what we would call a "route".