FrSky/Taranis Owners Thread

fltundra

I got some more good info from David over at Helibatics. I had been reading a few threads mentioning the "latest firmware" for both FrSky sensors and the X8R receiver. I was getting a little confused as to what is needed to do updates.

It it turns out you need 2 things to update the Smart Port sensors and the X8R:

1) FRSKY USB CABLE (FRUSB-3 UPGRADED CABLE)

2) FrSky SMART PORT Adapter/Converter Upgrade cable for USB programmer

Moto,
Have you seen Scott's videos?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-A2sf9a_BDbKs81HuU7p4w

meng

Sorry guys I know I am on the wrong page here but this forum wont let me start a new thread. I have set up my Taranis x9d and 8xr from the manual and posts here. My receiver is bound but I cannot get the naza to respond to any inputs. Any ideas?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry guys I know I am on the wrong page here but this forum wont let me start a new thread. I have set up my Taranis x9d and 8xr from the manual and posts here. My receiver is bound but I cannot get the naza to respond to any inputs. Any ideas?

Did you do the motor calibration from within the Naza assistant software? Check PCMAerial thread on DJI section I think. He was having the same issue. Make sure you have the throttle and sticks all mapped to the correct output - or you will not be able to arm the FC.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?18991-F550-Starting-Motor-Issues-Naza-or-Not

Last edited by a moderator:

chipwich

Do you have your cable going from the S-Bus port on the FrSky x8r to the X2 port on the NAZA and in Assistant set receiver type to D-Bus?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey folks. I need a little guidance on setting up the center point for the rotary pot (S1). There is a known issue with the center point being a little off to what the SuperX wants to see for remote flight tuning. XAircraft have told me it's usually fixed by bumping "it" up by 4.5 or so.

I'm a little confused as to whether this would be done by moving the sub trim 1500 (shown page 7/13 of Tx) up by the given amount, or if it's done with the offset???

my guess is that it would be done with the sub trim neutral offset, which is the first colin of adjustment in that page.

thanks for any clarity here.

chipwich

I usually use the last column (PPM Center) on page 7 (Servos) to set my center point. I suppose that the Offset would work on Page 6 (Mixer), but using PPM Center seems more granular, it allows me to keep my mix differentiated from setting up servo links, as on a pod and boom heli. Does that make sense?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I usually use the last column (PPM Center) on page 7 (Servos) to set my center point. I suppose that the Offset would work on Page 6 (Mixer), but using PPM Center seems more granular, it allows me to keep my mix differentiated from setting up servo links, as on a pod and boom heli. Does that make sense?

It doesn't totally make sense to me - but I'm sure that me, not you :)

there is an offset in the first column of the page 7. It actually gives more control (granular?) than the last column, because it allows changes by .1 increments. It also shows up in Companion under the limits page. I'm just not sure if the offset will effect the whole range - although I thought I'd read that it wouldn't.

I found a sheet or two than mention this online - but neither really had a good explanation.

chipwich

It doesn't totally make sense to me - but I'm sure that me, not you :)

there is an offset in the first column of the page 7. It actually gives more control (granular?) than the last column, because it allows changes by .1 increments. It also shows up in Companion under the limits page. I'm just not sure if the offset will effect the whole range - although I thought I'd read that it wouldn't.

I found a sheet or two than mention this online - but neither really had a good explanation.

I guess that it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Subtrim moves the center point, but keeps the endpoints the same, whereas PPM Center shifts the whole range in either direction, to a point. In the examaple that I gave, Subtrim would probably be the better choice. I think. My hands were typing servo links, but my mind was thinking gimbal, where you might want the same throw above and below, but only want the gimbal level at the center point. But I can think of times when you wouldn't want to do that too, like when you set the vertical endpoint (like beneath props), and just wanted the camera to point straight ahead when at the center point. Nice for OpenTX to give us all of these options. Try all of them, observe the results, and use the one that best suits your application, would probably be a wise thing to do.

Now you've got me thinking about using Subtrim instead of PPM Center on my Tarot gimbaled F550.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Which one is the sub trim that just adjusts the center point??? The first column or the last column???

I have the ability to assign a tuning knob that needs the center moved up a tad to where FC thinks the center is.

I will be testing it - but with the superx it's not all that easy. And being that it could be the difference between violent shakes causing a crash - i'd rather start in the ball park. :)

chipwich

Which one is the sub trim that just adjusts the center point??? The first column or the last column???

I have the ability to assign a tuning knob that needs the center moved up a tad to where FC thinks the center is.

I will be testing it - but with the superx it's not all that easy. And being that it could be the difference between violent shakes causing a crash - i'd rather start in the ball park. :)

The first one does.

It just moves the center point, but keeps the endpoints, and you can view this in the channel monitor. The last one moves the center point and the whole range, which doesn't show in channel monitor.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The first one does.

It just moves the center point, but keeps the endpoints, and you can view this in the channel monitor. The last one moves the center point and the whole range, which doesn't show in channel monitor.

Thanks. So it looks like I did this correct. I think it is called offset in the companion spftware.

chipwich

Yes, I wish that the terms were consistent. I snapped a screenshot just to be sure. Does the SuperX have management software that will let you monitor the location of the input that you are controlling with the rotary?

View attachment 18377

Attachments

• taranis_subtrim.jpg
    taranis_subtrim.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 226

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It does, but unfortunately it takes uploading to a web site to see where the knob has been turned. A little annoying.

My Taranis started crashing and went dead. Came back to life after multiple firmware flashes, worked fine for a day then started crashing again giving me an SD card warning icon "!". Makes horrible, loud static interference noise (like a rapid clicking) and screen goes blank- or unit doesn't power up. I sent it back to Range Video and am hoping it was genuine hardware issue. Tried using new SD card and got same result.

Has anyone had similar issues? Overall I love the unit, but a little disappointed I may have received a lemon???

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
My Taranis started crashing and went dead. Came back to life after multiple firmware flashes, worked fine for a day then started crashing again giving me an SD card warning icon "!". Makes horrible, loud static interference noise (like a rapid clicking) and screen goes blank- or unit doesn't power up. I sent it back to Range Video and am hoping it was genuine hardware issue. Tried using new SD card and got same result.

Has anyone had similar issues? Overall I love the unit, but a little disappointed I may have received a lemon???

sorry to to hear about your Taranis. I haven't heard of that issue, and I definitely haven't experienced it.

chipwich

I've got two and no problems at all. The dude hosting the RC Model Reviews youtube channel reported that his first one was a dud, but it was replaced under warranty.

Waiting for new unit. I've attached a video of it crashing. Any insight would be appreciated as I am stumped.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
FrSky Sensors

I realize that I've let this thread lapse a bit. Thought I would give an update regarding the FrSky Sensors that I've tried so far. I was most concerned with keeping track of the battery, and really wanted a way to map the consumption while flying.

The sensors I've found available for power/battery data are as follows:

**SP-FLVS: like an LED battery checker (in fact, could be used as a standalone checker if you wanted). This plugs into battery balance lead, and can show up to 8 cells. Shows voltage per cell and total battery charge on the small LED screen. It's a newer smart port style sensor so it plugs directly into X8R via servo wire for readout on the taranis.

**FAS100: older current sensor - will show mah consumption on Taranis telemetry screen. It comes with either XT-60 connectors or bare. I chose bare since I've switched over to Anderson Powerpole connectors. You need to make a special harness to connect this to the FVAS-02H, but you can make it using the provided wires.

**FVAS-02H: smart port high-precision vario that acts as hub between old and new sensors to X8R. Since the X8R is a newer style "X-series" RX, you need this Vario to act as the hub between older "hub-style" sensors and the newer smart port sensors.

I've been really happy with these sensors. I really appreciate having the ability to program the Taranis to use voice alerts/warnings when the batteries get to a certain level - both voltage and consumption. I have the radio set with a lowest single cell warning as well as an alert when I've hit a certain level of consumption (for me it alerts when I've hit 70% depleted). Since I run different size batteries, I've programmed a 3-way switch that has 1) no warnings, 2) consumption threshold warning for 3300mah battery, and 3) consumption threshold warning for 4200mah battery.

so far so good, and for such a small amount of money - it provides peace of mind.