anybody know what this is?

kloner

Aerial DP
we were at a national park called Trona Pinnacles this weekend and noticed this stuff all over the rocks..... anybody know what it's called?

View attachment 17125

View attachment 17126

the signs around the place say half the periodic elements are found there... a lot of colors,,,,

Attachments

• _1060210.jpg
    _1060210.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 362
  • _1060225.jpg
    _1060225.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 334

kloner

Aerial DP
Crap Yuri, we brought em all home, I love lucy style.... got em all around the house, wonder what'll happen next......

N1, that's what i was thinking when i seen em all..... weird, it's like rock a bull dozer pushed into areas and it's all split apart with that stuff on em.

We didn't really bring any home.... my truck barely made it as is, we were 16,000 pounds with a f-150.... up the cajon pass...

Mojave

we were at a national park called Trona Pinnacles this weekend and noticed this stuff all over the rocks..... anybody know what it's called?

View attachment 21188

View attachment 21189

the signs around the place say half the periodic elements are found there... a lot of colors,,,,

Take a look here: http://www.pavingexpert.com/stonpv01.htm scroll toward the bottom of the page, in the image above the stain is on sandstone. Most likely a 'trace stain' of metal oxides.

Mojave

that is exactly it... same color and everything..... you seen that before?

I have seen it before while hiking around; although not at Trona. I have seen plant fossils as well - there is a similarity to fern leaf patterns. But fossils rarely look as striking as the patterns you found.

kloner

Aerial DP
It had my attention all weekend,,,, piles of rocks sitting along a road, figured they weren't something nobody had noticed.... thanks for filling me in, the kids were stoked dad knew somebody that figured it out....

I thought it was fossil ferns

kloner

Aerial DP
to me that's the green fur that granitte rocks grown when it rains,,,,, dry it looks like sage green to black hard scalely stuff..... wet it grows

we have lichen all around my house,,,,