Scott, reading German is a requirement in the MR field! LOL

UniSens-E with 5.5 mm gold plug No.: 3103
Print product data sheet
print.gif

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

[SIZE=+1]The small high-performance RC telemetry sensor measures and transmits voltage / current / power / capacity / energy / Brushless speed / height / Vario[/SIZE]

The UniSens-E is a pure telemetry sensor specially designed for all electric models. He is so small and light, but at the same time so powerful that it can be used in almost every model.
In line with our philosophy to support as many systems, also speaks of UniSens-E the language of Jeti Duplex (EX), Multiplex M-Link, Graupner HoTT, Robbe / Futaba FASSTest, JR DMSS and FrSky.
The telemetry is used must be specified in UniSens-E only once in the settings. This is done either through our PC program "UniSens E-Tool" or the UniDisplay. On delivery HoTT GAM is selected.
To change the settings via PC or for firmware updates is a suitable USB interface as our No. 2550 or an existing USB cable as of Jeti, multiplex or Graupner necessary. See also the manual.
The UniSens-E can measure the entire drive without additional sensors, ie voltage, current, capacitance, and even the speed. As a special feature this is already a brushless speed sensor built-in. A small cable to connect to one of the three motor phases only needs to be made with the supplied cable for the measurement of the speed.
Since a barometric (air pressure) height sensor is integrated with high resolution, a Vario with the UniSens-E is implemented in addition to the height measurement.
Likewise, extensive alarms are programmable, which are reported via telemetry about individual stations.
The UniSens-E is available with various connector systems, so that, normally, nothing needs to be soldered. The current measuring range extends symmetrically in both directions. This makes the pin assignment, so that the battery males or females has at the positive pole, does not matter. The measurement direction is simply just set in the setup.
About our UniDisplay all measured values ​​of the UniSens-E can be viewed directly live and all settings and alarms are programmed.
Whether sailors, Stunt Plane, Helicopter, HLG or slow flyer, the UniSens-E can be used due to its light weight and compact size in almost every area. Of course, the UniSens-E is not only suitable for model aircraft. It can be installed as in the RC boats, RC cars, etc..
[SIZE=-1]You buy the UniSens-E a powerful in all respects universal RC telemetry sensor that exploits the possibilities of modern electronics to give you as little helper to be a great help in dealing with your RC models.[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]And that may be the UniSens-E:[/SIZE]

• complete measurement of electric drives with current, voltage, power, capacity, speed and height measurement
  • integrated brushless speed sensor
  • full telemetry support for Jeti Duplex (EX), Multiplex M-Link, Graupner HoTT, Robbe / Futaba FASSTest S.BUS2, JR DMSS and FrSky
  • Height measurement with automatic zeroing after switching on
  • barometric Vario

• Current measuring range up to 140 A in both directions, voltage up to 60 V
    (The maximum current carrying capacity of plug used must not be exceeded!)
  • Connector for signal receiver for remote control of certain functions
  • Direct connection of the GPS logger possible to record data in a file
  • Measurement of the receiver battery voltage
  • Powered by recipient
  • current status is indicated by LED
  • direct viewing of live or recorded readings with our UniDisplay

• Parameter settings via PC, UniDisplay and telemetry possible
  • PC software for settings and updates (SM UniSens E-Tool) is here available
  • free firmware updates via PC with our USB interface (Order No. 2550) or with existing USB connection cables as of Jeti, multiplex or Graupner possible (the firmware file, click here )
  • used due to its compact size and low weight almost everywhere
Specifications and complete functionality, please refer to the user guide that you here can be downloaded in pdf format.

Typical Interconnection of UniSens-E in the model
1 only height measurement with integrated already in UniSens-E height sensor
Application, eg in the F3B / F3J gliders

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks SoCal. That's not a bad translation (love how it refers to the unit as a "he." :)

i was hoping for some hands on feedback - because it seems it could take the place of many (if not all) the sensors.

That would make the price reasonable, unless shipping is a ton.

SoCal Blur

From looking at the diagrams, everything plugs into that sensor which then plugs into the s.port. It's a little pricey, though, but if it works, it may be worth it.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
From looking at the diagrams, everything plugs into that sensor which then plugs into the s.port. It's a little pricey, though, but if it works, it may be worth it.

Pretty much all new sensors plug into one another daisy-chained, with the exception of one of them needs to be plugged into the vario (which acts as a analog to digital converter). Would this be necessary?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
mine just got here. maybe i'll put it in a plane and see how things go?

i'll be watching what you guys are talking about though. gotta learn German, ok.

SoCal Blur

Pretty much all new sensors plug into one another daisy-chained, with the exception of one of them needs to be plugged into the vario (which acts as a analog to digital converter). Would this be necessary?

The Vario is an altimeter which is built into the unit. It can send altitude telemetry up to 8000 meters above sea level.

The only thing I can't figure out is if the Empfanger (receiver) for the FrSky is the older analog receiver or the newer X8R. Just based on the descriptions, I think its for the older analog receiver, unfortunately. We need first hand experience to know for certain.

EDIT: Here's a link to their manual, in English: http://www.f5b.co.uk/unilog-in-english.html I haven't had time to go through it yet.

EDIT2: I jumpted to the end of the manual. It only works with the new s.port receivers! This thing can do some amazing things..send rate of climb info, all kinds of good stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:

fltundra

Thanks SoCal. That's not a bad translation (love how it refers to the unit as a "he." :)

i was hoping for some hands on feedback - because it seems it could take the place of many (if not all) the sensors.

That would make the price reasonable, unless shipping is a ton.

I use it with the Lipo sensor, it's right on the money in accuracy with MAH back in with my Cellpro charger.
I like it so much, I just ordered another!

SoCal Blur

I use it with the Lipo sensor, it's right on the money in accuracy with MAH back in with my Cellpro charger.
I like it so much, I just ordered another!

The only thing is, according to the manual, it doesn't display mah on the taranis but rather % of fuel remaining. Now maybe the firmware has been updated since the manual was written - as there seems to be numerous firmware updates for the thing.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The Vario is an altimeter which is built into the unit. It can send altitude telemetry up to 8000 meters above sea level.

The only thing I can't figure out is if the Empfanger (receiver) for the FrSky is the older analog receiver or the newer X8R. Just based on the descriptions, I think its for the older analog receiver, unfortunately. We need first hand experience to know for certain.

For clarification: the new high sensitivity smart port vario shares double duty as an altimeter, as well as acts as a converter (or "bridge"), allowing input of certain older style sensors via the hub, as mentioned here:

Backwardly compatible with existing sensor hub and sensors.

ive been doing some research, and I believe that the older analog sensors need the hub to connect to this - except for the older FAS amperage sensor FAS 40/100 (which may work for your purposes SoCal). I need some clarification on whether there are other analog sensors that can utilize the vario as a bridge directly.

The photo below shows the "data in" connector which the manual describes as used for being plugged into the FAS 40/100.

The variometer is a bit more sophisticated than a self-referencing barometer, i.e., altimeter.....
It is more proactive than an altimeter providing instantaneous rate of climb or descent rate data.
It is useful for flying at a distance and for FPV. With the Taranis Xmitter, I would assume it would also be possible to configure a verbal descent rate warning in the language of your choice.

EDIT: Here's a link to their manual, in English: http://www.f5b.co.uk/unilog-in-english.html I haven't had time to go through it yet.

EDIT2: I jumpted to the end of the manual. It only works with the new s.port receivers! This thing can do some amazing things..send rate of climb info, all kinds of good stuff!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The variometer is a bit more sophisticated than a self-referencing barometer, i.e., altimeter.....
It is more proactive than an altimeter providing instantaneous rate of climb or descent rate data.
It is useful for flying at a distance and for FPV. With the Taranis Xmitter, I would assume it would also be possible to configure a verbal descent rate warning in the language of your choice.

thanks so much Scott. Does it seem like its similar to the product posted above? I, having a hard time understanding what Is unique about the German product if the vario is providing similar data.

Tundra: what features/feedback are you utilizing from the unisens? If you have the smart port volt sensor, that plugs directly to the X8R. Are you using a different non-smart port receiver???

soCal: just saw the links to the manual. That clears some stuff up. It definitely has overlap with some of the frsky sensors. I can see the appeal of the single unit, but it seems that I already have a bunch if what this would do for me.

SoCal Blur

I thnk the appeal for me is the voltage sensor goes up to 60V on the German unit. The other features like rate of climb, motor speed, etc., are nice to haves as well. Just don't know if it's worth the price, though.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The only thing is, according to the manual, it doesn't display mah on the taranis but rather % of fuel remaining. Now maybe the firmware has been updated since the manual was written - as there seems to be numerous firmware updates for the thing.

The FrSky current sensor gives a mah readout - which is one of the more appealing aspects of it for me - and partially what is getting me over the "don't add too many components lest they fail" hump :)

Similar? Not entirely sure but......

The VSI = Vertical Speed Indicator is referred to as a Variometer more specifically when applied to SailPlanes, Hang Gliders. ParaSails, Hot Air balloons.
If I understand it correctly..... a more sophisticated unit with higher accuracy will incorporate a self-referencing baro-sensor often called an altimeter.
The data from both sensors can be made available so that the RC pilot gets both pieces of information thru the same telemetry device.

fltundra

Tundra: what features/feedback are you utilizing from the unisens? If you have the smart port volt sensor, that plugs directly to the X8R. Are you using a different non-smart port receiver???
Moto,
Sorry for the delay.
I have Vfas, Current, MAH consumed, Watts, Alt, and Fuel%, RPM is not connected yet.

This is the default screen:View attachment 17931

My two customs:View attachment 17932View attachment 17933

I only use the Unisens-E, and the Frsky lipo sensor, both daisy chained s-port. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 20140501_083242.jpg
    20140501_083242.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 325
  • 20140501_083227.jpg
    20140501_083227.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 347
  • 20140501_083159.jpg
    20140501_083159.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 305

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
^^^ Thanks Tundra.

I received the link to the following instructional video from the folks over at Helibatic.com, which does a pretty good job of explaining the connections/functionality of the older FAS100 and the newer X8R.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What you need to update sensors/X8R

I got some more good info from David over at Helibatics. I had been reading a few threads mentioning the "latest firmware" for both FrSky sensors and the X8R receiver. I was getting a little confused as to what is needed to do updates.

It it turns out you need 2 things to update the Smart Port sensors and the X8R:

1) FRSKY USB CABLE (FRUSB-3 UPGRADED CABLE)

2) FrSky SMART PORT Adapter/Converter Upgrade cable for USB programmer