F450 Battery

Turnigy Nano's

I was checking those spyder's out the other night. Really like the fact of the 5c charge rate. Which brings me to the Nano's I ordered. Didn't even notice it when I did order them but when I was sodering on my connections I saw a sticker on the back of them saying "Up to a 5C charge rating" and I was immediately excited! The wait did stink but man i'm gonna order some more 4s and 3s of these and stock up while the prices are as cheap as they are!

skipper1

I guess this is the classic example of you get what yo pay for. I've already done a little business with progressive. I wish I'd done more now. I will definitely be doing more in the future.

skipper1

Turnigy 4S 3000mah 20c update. They were in my mailbox when I got home from work. All 5, so I guess it takes about a week and a couple of days. Still too long.

This is my first set of large lipos and I didn't really know what to expect. All I knew was the size and it had 4mm bullet connectors. Now that I have it in my hand, it looks like the black wire has a 4mm male bullet and the black wire has 4mm female bullet. I assume this is normal on most batteries this size?

Dune

What connectors are you going to go with? Personally I'm in the process of switching everything over to XT60.

skipper1

I planned on going with 4mm bullets. I thought that was the norm since that's what is used for the motors and esc's and when I ordered the batteries, it stated that they were 4mm bullets.

Honestly I don't know what XT60 is. I'll have to look that up.

Have you put your new props on yet? I'm curious how they fit on the DJI motors.

mailman35

i swapped all mine to xt60 last weekend. and most of the turnigy's have the bullets. i made a cable first for it, but it was to much of a PIA.

skipper1

XT60, I've seen those before, just didn't know what they were called. I kind of like them, they look very safe and fool proof.

kloner

Aerial DP
the positive and negative always have a different something about em to keep from hitting them backwards. dc in reverse = bad

What props you curious about, i've had em all on the dji

View attachment 2792

Attachments

• 003 (600x800).jpg
    003 (600x800).jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 335

skipper1

I don't know if I should start another thread or not, I'm now faced with another challenge. I got the icharger 208b & P350 power supply. I've tried to do the update but can't get it to work. Does anyone know the secret to getting it updated.

skipper1

the positive and negative always have a different something about em to keep from hitting them backwards. dc in reverse = bad

View attachment 4118

I thought I read on here where you had just got some APC props and I was curious how they fit since they didn't have the flat spot.

kloner

Aerial DP
The fronts had to be drilled out to fit over the 8mm hub but the back sides went on fine. The trick was to not drill into the back from the front and to leave what they call the (precision hole) in tact.

The flat spot isn't needed, just make sure to tighten em down and dont over tighten them. They are side to side off so the ones i used needed alot of tlc to balance

on the charger, call progressive and they'll fix ya right up if nobody knows the answer. i bought the 306b and just plugged it in and played.

tstrike

pendejo grande
How'd it fly with those triprops? I'm stoked, we get a break from filming tomorrow, gonna try and wrap up my f450 build-WOOT!

View attachment 4118

kloner

Aerial DP
they flew nice, not alot of bite to them and they were really hard to balance. on 3s with any weight was about a wash with the 10x6, think i was 3lbs, 11oz, barely went up in atti, couldn't stop it on the way down. 4s they acted pretty decent except ran at a higher rpm overall and moved the harmonics up the scale a bit.

best thing i did was quit screwing with all that and get a set of graupners

sj257

I've only run my 450 on a 3s 2300 pack so far with the standard 10 inch props. I noticed that adding the undercarage and go pro mount that I made has meant hovering at a higher throttle in manuel (fly in that mode most of the time). I have plenty of those batteries and have made a parallel lead so I could run a pair of 3s 2300. Just a bit concerned that the additional weight will hit the performance to the degree that I wont see much more duration. With current temperatures around 5 deg c in Cornwall I'm only getting 5 - 6 minute flights from the single 2300 packs. Hovering at around 60-65% throttle.

Any thoughts on whether I will gain much from parallel running the packs?

sj

skipper1

Yep, seen those. I think I like the XT60 better. I ordered a couple of bags and hope to have them by Tue of next week.

skipper1

i swapped all mine to xt60 last weekend. and most of the turnigy's have the bullets. i made a cable first for it, but it was to much of a PIA.

Mailman,
I got some XT60's this week and was going to swap them out on my batteries. I'm not sure what guage wire you have on your batteries but my Turnigy 4S 3000mah 20c's have 10 guage wire. If the wires on your batteries are 10 guage or even 12 guage, how did you solder them? Weren't they too big?

Dune

Man I'm guessing you can thin the end of the wire down a bit and still be ok. I have 14 gauge and it fits snugly in there. 14 gauge is supposed to be good for 50 amps, even up to 75 amps. On your f450 with stock motors/esc's you're not even going to approach 50 amps. I would just trim it down till it fits snugly and solder a good joint in there, you should be ok. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Source on gauge current ratings:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320240