DJI Released New Firmware 5.24 for WKM

Yep, gotcha. I love having the BT LED, sure helps in setting the gains (and other stuff like compass cal). I was just taken back when you mentioned motor settings, and wondering if there was something new that we could tweak that I wasn't aware of.
Thanks

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... without the AVM ...

I wonder what 'AVM' refers to? So confusing these days. Everything is reduced to initials.

I upgraded to 5.22 from 5.18 when I installed the IMUv2 (more initials), mainly to take advantage of the BT LED (and more initials!). I was unaware that my iPhone 4 was not compatible so I had to buy my wife and iPad mini. The biggest and most important improvement was the disappearance of the height loss problem. This as before the Damping Kit was installed and the IMUv2 was located in the normal place.

The only thing that didn't work was the RTH (AMI : And More Initials), or RTB, as some prefer to call it (EMI : Even More Initials).

FW (AEMI) 5.24 claimed to have fixed the RTH - which it has - and other than that I have not noticed anything much different. My S800 rig had already made the jump from "sh*t I HATE this thing" to "Hey, this is pretty good!" with 5.22.

5.24 does not appear to have messed it up ..................... yet!

rcmike

I think my drifting problem was related to the smaller props I was using on my iron man octo somehow. I tried 14" props on my smaller sunnysky motors and the drifting was gone and it flew perfectly. The props were a little too big for them I think so I upgraded to TMotors 3515 400KV and it flies beautifully now. I had always had a problem with the yaw wandering a little bit no matter what the gains. That is gone now. Btw, I did a test carrying 8.5 lbs.on it this weekend and it lifted it easily and flew fine. I am liking 5.24 now.

Hey guys, I am still having problems with my at F550 Wookong and it's yaw control. It seems to have much more left power then right 'clockwise" authority. When I start out it just is hard to turn right and easy to turn left as the voltage drops it starts spinning left uncontrollably.

I have been fighting with this for about two months and have tried so many things I don't even know what to try next. I have rotated the motors, changed software versions, moved and relocated the compass, and swapped out the IMU.

I am running 3C Lipos stock motors and 10 inch propellers. Right now I'm on the latest firmware version 5.24. It did seem a little better on version 5.16.

Is anyone else fighting with this?
Do you have any ideas on what I should try next?
Do you think I possibly have a bad speed control?

Thanks

Teamflail

Hey guys, I am still having problems with my at F550 Wookong and it's yaw control. It seems to have much more left power then right 'clockwise" authority. When I start out it just is hard to turn right and easy to turn left as the voltage drops it starts spinning left uncontrollably.

I have been fighting with this for about two months and have tried so many things I don't even know what to try next. I have rotated the motors, changed software versions, moved and relocated the compass, and swapped out the IMU.

I am running 3C Lipos stock motors and 10 inch propellers. Right now I'm on the latest firmware version 5.24. It did seem a little better on version 5.16.

Is anyone else fighting with this?
Do you have any ideas on what I should try next?
Do you think I possibly have a bad speed control?

Thanks

Possibly a bad ESC? If that is cutting off the current due to low voltage, that might be indicative of the problem. Just a though since it seems you have done just about everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Out of the blue, not sure if you have done this or not... 8 pages is a lot to read. Did you try moving motors around? possible you may have lost a magnet, have a weak magnet or maybe a tight bearing in one or more motors?

Out of the blue, not sure if you have done this or not... 8 pages is a lot to read. Did you try moving motors around? possible you may have lost a magnet, have a weak magnet or maybe a tight bearing in one or more motors?

All the motors feel the same. I purchased two extra motors and I also rotated them one position to the left thinking it would cause it to rotate the opposite direction if it was a motor problem. It had no effect on the left turning tendency.

Thank you

Questions about the Bluetooth LED
(We're flying a hex with firmware 5.16)
Is the BT LED a mandatory hardware requirement for 5.24? Does this mean I HAVE to upgrade the LED before I can re-flash to 5.24? Is the BT LED backwards compatable with 5.16? What the hell's the point of it anyway? Does it replace the USB cable that plugs in to the MC?

(For what it's worth, hoping that 5.24 will cure 2 major problems for us: occasional flashing greens "IMU Data Loss", and occasional loss of cal of the ICO switch)

Teamflail

Is the BT LED a mandatory hardware requirement for 5.24? Does this mean I HAVE to upgrade the LED before I can re-flash to 5.24? Is the BT LED backwards compatable with 5.16? What the hell's the point of it anyway? Does it replace the USB cable that plugs in to the MC?

(For what it's worth, hoping that 5.24 will cure 2 major problems for us: occasional flashing greens "IMU Data Loss", and occasional loss of cal of the ICO switch)

I do not believe the LED is mandatory. I upgraded but had some issues with the IMU apparently getting a bad signal. (Flashing white led light). I was still able to connect to the controller via the USB plug to change the gains etc. I could not get it to where the white LED flashing would go away so I flashed back to 5.22 for the time being. My Hex flies very nicely with 5.22, BTW. Not sure if 5.24 will help with your two issues but keep us appraised.

I can confirm that the BT LED is not required for you to upgrade.

I can confirm that too. BT LED not needed with IMU v2.

rotorvista

I think you are better off without the bluetooth led. it is very buggy. today my motors would not start at all and after trying lots of things i changed the led to the old one and it sorted my problem. i tried both led's multiple times and the bluetooth led just stopped my motors from starting. when i was connecting it to the wm ios assistant i always had problems afterwards. i had used the motor test on the wm assistant that may have caused my motor problem. it seems like the wm assistant will not let go of the mc for some reason. i hate the way dji use us as beta testers. i am on 5.24 firmware. worst thing is i bought an i phone 5 just to use for the wm assistant aarrgh :( the usb access on the bluetooth led was a handy feature tho saved having to lift the lid to access the mc...

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
You have to de-couple the WM Assistant before it will allow the motors to be started. It is a safety feature to prevent accidental parameter changes whilst flying. Best thing is to make your changes and then turn off the WM Assistant completely in the iPhone.

If it is any consolation I had to buy an iPad when I discovered that the bluetooth of the iPhone 4 is incompatible. Personally I like the bluetooth thing. Getting into Compass Calibration mode was always a frustrating experience, flapping that little switch backwards and forwards with nothing happening. It also saves me having to get out that nasty bloody Windows PC which I abhor.

Although DJI has several beta-tester charges against them, this is not one of them. You simply have misunderstood how to use it.

Agree with Mombasa, the Bluetooth LED is one of the more well thought out accessories DJI has rooled out, and so greatly helps working in the field with your WKM. I have one for both of my setups, and considering getting one for my Naza setup.

rotorvista

yes i liked the theory but i did turn the wm assistant off i even turned my phone completely off

in the wookong m quick start guide

step 4 flying test procedures

states that you can adjust real time parameters whilst flying ie gains

how can you get into the wm assistant when flying if it is off or it has not let you start the motors?

rotorvista

well i seem to have it working now. it seems that the wm assistant stays locked on to the mc unless bluetooth is disabled in my phone and my iphone 5 is turned off. wish there was just a switch in the assistant to fully disable it from the mc. i do like the bt and agree it is a very handy tool :)

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Are you sure you are turning off WM Assistant? It is not enough to just click the Home button on the iPhone, because although the WM app is cleared from the screen, it is still active and working in the background. Double-Click the iPhone Home button to display all active apps at the bottom of the screen. Push and hold one of them until the small cross appears in the top right corner of all the icons and then close the apps by touching the cross.

I close active apps several times a day to save wasting the iPhone battery.

The previous WM Assistant had a red slider to activate and deactivate. The 5.24 version does not have it - or if it does I have missed it. You may actually be right about the ability to adjust gains etc whilst airborne but personally, I would feel uncomfortable with that and prefer to land, change the gain, and take off again. Too easy to scroll to something disastrous.