DJI Released New Firmware 5.24 for WKM

Barreto

So you have two Wookongs and it is ONLY the newer one that is giving you problems with v5.24? Did you just buy it? Can you contact your vendor and see if they can replace it?

As far as trouble shooting, have you tried putting the GPS compass that works with the Wookong that isn't working, and see if that works for you?

Ya... 2 brand new wookongs, from different places. One from rc711(China) and another from RCRUS(USA). Both with this problem.
I've conteacted the vendors, and DJI as well. RCRUS replied asking for time to know what is that (2 current days). DJI asked to make a video (as I made it) and is on silent radio until now. RC711 never replied.

Thx for the tip about old compass. I will test it today and let you know what gonna happens.

CdA D

Updating what I've done since the last procedure and following the tips from you.

Although "know" how to calibrate the compass, I followed the procedure in the following video:

The white light was solid for 3 seconds (indicating it was successful) as in the video, but then returned to flash green, yellow, green, yellow ...

I did this procedure in a park, avoiding any interference.

Done in several ways besides the one shown in the video.

I waited for the light blue, turned horizontally to get the green light, then aimed the nose of s800 down and turned vertically to obtain white light.

When I got the white light, I kept turning, placed horizontally, stopped spinning, ie, tried everything as it is way to calibrate the compass and no success (in practice, because in theory the solid white light for 3 seconds means that getting !)

The most curious, and when I do the downgrade, everything works immediately! Needless to calibrate the compass.

Another thing I noticed is that a wookong I've ever had for a while, it came with the compass V1, the upgrade (5.24) works perfectly without any calibration.

In short, something is very wrong with wookongs I received. All new, with V2 compass.

Honestly, I'm thinking of throwing everything on the wall.

I might be wrong, but when you calibrated the compass in the horizontal you had the airframe sitting on the skids, which was right, then you turned it which gave you calibration in the horizontal, but when you did the vertical you actually turned it horizontally while it was on it's side. Shouldn't you need to turn it as if it were a propeller on an airplane? Remember no metal, keys, knifes, change(coins), etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barreto

I might be wrong, but when you calibrated the compass in the horizontal you had the airframe sitting on the skids, which was right, then you turned it which gave you calibration in the horizontal, but when you did the vertical you actually turned it horizontally while it was on it's side. Shouldn't you need to turn it as if it were a propeller on an airplane? Remember no metal, keys, knifes, change(coins), etc.

I did all kinds of tests, even without skid and arms. Using only the main frame. :/

Barreto

Found that depending on the direction given to the end of the calibration process, the purple and red lights appear. When we rotate the frame in own axis, horizontal, light green to yellow reappears. Turning and returning to the previous position, purple and red will reappear. This happens with all the compass (V1 and V2) +new wookong. Look at the video.

Based on the above tip, I obtained the following results:

Old wookong + Compass V1 + Firmware 5.24 = OK
New wookong + Compass V1 + Firmware 5.24 = Problem shown in the video.
New wookong + compass V2 + Firmware 5.24 = Problem shown in the video.
New wookong + Compass V2 + Firmware 5.22 = OK!!

Remembering that I live in the southern hemisphere, and everyone knows that the DJI had problems with this hemisphere.

For God's sake, does anyone know what this is? Bug? Someone else lives in the southern hemisphere and had no problem with new wookong + v2 compass + 5.24 firmware?

jhardway

yep I can not agree more, to many light signals, I do not need to know when the copter is with in 8m of it's home point, its actually starting to freak me out. I am also in the closet of trust, I open the door to look, but I want to close it from fright.

I did the up grade, other then the Morse code seizure flashing LED. we did fine, it calibrated fine also. As of tracking it is a fickle creature that seem to be changing from time to time. Ever since 5.16 I have had to calibrate for deviation, I live in a -11 degree zone but my compass dev is around -16.

I wish you could set the deviation in the software then you could always have the compass always point strait.

cheers

VINHEX

I tried this again the other day, for some reason I was getting motor throttle jitters on start-up with the motors.... I stopped the motors and re-started and all smoothed out.. Have also herd from another flyer that they have herd of issues with throttle with this release.. I must admit that when I tried this, my throttle response seemed off lagging BUT again I've changed my motors so want to make sure it's not them as well? Not tried the 4.22 again, might get a flight in lunchtime to see what the difference is.. Will update..

http://youtu.be/wRMTl8YkfXw

xerofly

Found that depending on the direction given to the end of the calibration process, the purple and red lights appear. When we rotate the frame in own axis, horizontal, light green to yellow reappears. Turning and returning to the previous position, purple and red will reappear. This happens with all the compass (V1 and V2) +new wookong. Look at the video.

Based on the above tip, I obtained the following results:

Old wookong + Compass V1 + Firmware 5.24 = OK
New wookong + Compass V1 + Firmware 5.24 = Problem shown in the video.
New wookong + compass V2 + Firmware 5.24 = Problem shown in the video.
New wookong + Compass V2 + Firmware 5.22 = OK!!

Remembering that I live in the southern hemisphere, and everyone knows that the DJI had problems with this hemisphere.

For God's sake, does anyone know what this is? Bug? Someone else lives in the southern hemisphere and had no problem with new wookong + v2 compass + 5.24 firmware?

My results

5.20 no compass calibration
5.22 Nocompass calibration
5.24 IMU DATA LOSS

Cheers

VINHEX

Went back to 4.22 and all gone and smooth.. Apparently they have introduced another control feature that controls your throttle this is weird to say the least seems either to be on the ground or off hated it.. Glad I'm back on 4.22 wont be upgrading until they allow us to turn that feature off..

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Apparently they have introduced another control feature that controls your throttle this is weird to say the least seems either to be on the ground or off hated it

What do you mean exactly- doesn't sound too good this.

VINHEX

They have added a throttle control in the firmware which you don't have a option to turn off you get little throttle until 45/50% and then wam she takes off apparently helps new users stop from crashing on startup. Pants see hexacrafter post in main dji area vote turn off feature

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Got it, so just like the Phantom/Naza. I agree, I prefer the gradual build up of revs but I can live with the new throttle providing all of the previous issues have been solved but I dont have much confidence in that just yet- need to give this firmware some more time in the 'public beta- testing phase'

New BT LED Fitted......check. Firmware 5.24 loaded......check. Flashing lights normal......ummmmm.....check? iPhone communicates with WKM..........check. Controls on screen normal.....check.
Charged the batteries, packed the car and off to the Blue Mountains (Sydney Australia 'in the Southern Hemisphere'). Will let you know how it goes (Gulp).

Mav

5.24 first test flight

Well I have to say after the first test flight on V5.24, I was very surprised.
On previous flights, I had concerns with motor speed fluctuations (IMU was still in hub).
During the last 2 days, I rebuilt the hub, moving the IMU to the back tray, updated to 5.24, installed the BT LED and recalibrated etc.

But first, the setup.......

S800 with Wookong M updated to V5.24 & BT LED also updated (original S800 arms).
Fitted with anti-vibration kit with IMU now on the back plate above battery (as per recommendations).
Fitted with Retracts, Zenmuse Z15 for NEX7, & GPS on long stick.
Using Futaba 14SG for S800 & Futaba 8J for Z15.
3 Battery trays - 2 x 10,000MAH Packs & 1 x Dual 6600MAH pack.
2 x SkyRc duo chargers (to get 10amp charge rate).
Had 2 video guys with me who were handling all the AV side of the testing.

1st flight (10,000MAH pack - in Atti mode) - light winds, fine & sunny.......

Opted for a large soccer field at low level to test stability and although it was very twitchy, everything else including motor revs were much more consistent than before.
I continued the fly around despite the over sensitivity of the controls, making 3 landings & take-offs, to see if the motors would be consistent throughout the flight.
After 11 minutes of flight time, I landed for the 4th time and was really happy with the overall improvements.

I then headed back to the (temporary) bench and made adjustments to the motor settings.
Decided to use the manual settings for next flight.

2nd flight (10,000MAH pack - in Atti mode) - moderate winds, fine & sunny.......

Started again on the soccer field, this time venturing much higher & heading out around 200 metres away.
OK. Now we're getting somewhere.
Stability & motor speed were great. getting more impressed with the S800s setup & handling.
Starting to relax a bit and enjoy the flight.
After 5-6 minutes, RTB and relocated to the BMX track.
Made some short flights around the BMX track for about 3-4 minutes, whilst the AV guys picked some shots.
S800 performing as well as could be expected but I seem to have lost the sensitivity adjustment somewhere

Back to the (temporary) bench and found the pitch & yaw gain setting on the Wookong had changed to INH.
We figured it must be a reset that occurs during one of the updates.
Set it back to the Aux channels (I use the 2 knobs on the 14SG for variable gain control of Pitch & Yaw) ready for flight 3.

3rd flight (13,200MAH pack - in Atti mode) - moderate winds with occasional gust, fine & sunny.......

This time we started on the BMX track with the AV guys giving me some moves for particular shots they wanted so there was more taking-off and landing for resets.
I really enjoyed this part. I was able to start throwing the copter around a bit and feeling more relaxed with it.
The occasional wind gusts made it a bit more challenging, but the S800 handled it really well (glad I got the gains sorted).
Flight time was around 13 minutes with about 10-12 take-offs & landings.
From the S800/Wookong side, I didn't have any reservations as everything was performing the way I thought it should, and the AV guys were very happy.

We were going to do more flights but the DC power supply for the battery chargers fried, so that was it for today.
Didn't get to do the flight tests in GPS mode to check position hold etc.

Overall, the S800/Wookong met all expectations.
Much better motor stabilization when hovering, and much better control reaction to TX commands.
Still have a few refinements to motor settings to play with over the coming weeks so I'll keep you posted with any new developments.

All good so far.
Happy Flying
Gavin

BTW - The AV were stoked (That's really happy in OZZIE) with the results.

Lanzar

Well so far our is still flying. No bigger problems detected. But remember we do not test the gps and curselock and home lock since we never used them. Well gps once or twice to grab a drink :)
I will never say it is safe to upgrade cause it never is but so far all good.

When you described changing "motor settings", what are you referring to exactly?

Yeah sorry. Terminology could have been better.
"Gain Settings" for different conditions and requirements.
I found that the gain settings I had for the S800 without the AVM were too sensitive once the AVM was installed.
I also found that the recommended setting on page 6 of the quick start guide were a bit high for me.
You just need to experiment with these settings to find what works for you with what your doing.
Having the BT LED installed, and being able to access these settings without dragging out the laptop was great.
Unfortunately, I didn't find out that this was disabled till half way through the day.

As for the new features in V5.24, I can only comment on 2 points.......
- Improvements to the feel under heavy load & speed - it was definitely smoother during my flights but I didn't do any high speed stuff.
- Motor test function is pretty cool.

The main thing I got out of the day was just how much better the motor consistency was during hover, and how well the S800 responded with the new firmware.
I can't remember any "heart in mouth" moments during the whole day. So far so good.

Mav

I took the plunge and upgraded to IMU v2 and 5.24 firmware. Mi rig is a stock S800 with Zenmuse Z15, Nex7, EVO anti vibration upgrade, with the IMU mounted on the rear and facing forward. Did a 10 min test flight powered by the MaxAmps 10900 mah on mild winds.
My report is similar to Maveric's. I like it so far.
Put the fully loaded S800 through a typical flight on my test flight area (the closest track and field facility) in Attitude mode. First some gentle hovers, then some juicy ascents, but not too juicy. It could be me, but I could hear a nice hum from the engines that was'n there before. Like in-tune. Did some descents through various gain settings with no noticeable glitches or wobbles. In fact, another boring but nice flight. I was actually visited by a rowdy pack of blue macaws 7 min into the flight. About 10 or more, flying in pairs and doing their best to intimidate me. I had no fpv, but was able to capture some close fly by's by these territorial birds. MAybe they were jealous I could fly with more control.. He he.
I'll post some video if you wont mind the boring flying :nevreness: