DJI Naza M V2

What is the advantage (i.e., what is gained) by upgrading a V1 w/o GPS with the new firmware? Does the MC hover better? Is it more stable? Numerous threads on multiple forums describe difficulties during & following the upgrade, but none seem to describe what has improved.

Thanks.
Jack

Jack, One positive: I was new to Naza M. I had flown it in wind once without GPS then discovered, same day thru forum, that a new version was out. So I loaded that up and flew in the same wind, minutes from previous flight again without GPS. It flies better in wind, everything else being equal.

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
I am the victim of the motors shutting down during decent with the 3.10 firmware.
2 days ago was landing with low battery indicator. coming in fairly rapidly with low throttle then when I went to throttle up for landing the motors shut down. Result from fall at 6' was damaged Brushless gimbal and 2 broken propellers. Yesterday I was flying without gimbal, all regular flight was normal. hit the low battery indicator again at about 80 feet. low throttle decent and about 25 feet the motors shut off and hit hard. Result was 5 of 6 arms broken, 4 of 6 props broken, broken case on RX, Top plate on F550 broken. Guess I am done for now with any flying and will not fly that firmware again until that bug is fixed.
At first I thought it was related to second stage battery throttle drop but after reading some posts it may very well be Intelligent throttle stop.
Russell

Topflight

My LED on power-up
My LED was flashing so fast, I wasn't sure of what I was seeing, so I videoed it, then slowed it down with a video editor. This is what I get on power-up:
RGO-RGO-RGO-GGGG This is the System start-up and self check.
Then I get a series of 3 reds and two greens. The reds eventually go away, indicating I have greater than 6 satellites.
The two green indicate: one green for being in GPS Mode and the second green for my right stick not being centered. Even though I calibrated sticks in Naza Assistance, every time I recheck it, it is off center just a bit. The second green goes out when I start to fly because I'm now moving that stick.
I also get a series of 29 very fast green lights and according to the manual, this means that Home point was recorded. Not sure why 29.
I never did get the 4 yellow, but the manual states you MAY get these. Suppossed to indicate that the system has warmed up.
This whole sequence took less than 1 minute

Phil550

My LED on power-up
My LED was flashing so fast, I wasn't sure of what I was seeing, so I videoed it, then slowed it down with a video editor. This is what I get on power-up:
RGO-RGO-RGO-GGGG This is the System start-up and self check.
Then I get a series of 3 reds and two greens. The reds eventually go away, indicating I have greater than 6 satellites.
The two green indicate: one green for being in GPS Mode and the second green for my right stick not being centered. Even though I calibrated sticks in Naza Assistance, every time I recheck it, it is off center just a bit. The second green goes out when I start to fly because I'm now moving that stick.
I also get a series of 29 very fast green lights and according to the manual, this means that Home point was recorded. Not sure why 29.
I never did get the 4 yellow, but the manual states you MAY get these. Suppossed to indicate that the system has warmed up.
This whole sequence took less than 1 minute

This sounds good as mine does exactly the same.
Try adjusting the sub trims and travels as per stepino's post, which also worked for me.

AEA737

I am the victim of the motors shutting down during decent with the 3.10 firmware.
2 days ago was landing with low battery indicator. coming in fairly rapidly with low throttle then when I went to throttle up for landing the motors shut down. Result from fall at 6' was damaged Brushless gimbal and 2 broken propellers. Yesterday I was flying without gimbal, all regular flight was normal. hit the low battery indicator again at about 80 feet. low throttle decent and about 25 feet the motors shut off and hit hard. Result was 5 of 6 arms broken, 4 of 6 props broken, broken case on RX, Top plate on F550 broken. Guess I am done for now with any flying and will not fly that firmware again until that bug is fixed.
At first I thought it was related to second stage battery throttle drop but after reading some posts it may very well be Intelligent throttle stop.
Russell

Sorry about your crash.

I disabled the Battery protection system and the Intelligent prop stop from day one. I just rely on my timer. I decide when my hex a has to land.

Javier

rwskier

Multi Rotor Video
Sorry about your crash.

I disabled the Battery protection system and the Intelligent prop stop from day one. I just rely on my timer. I decide when my hex a has to land.

Javier

thanks AEA737. After reading several different posts from several others I am certainly not the only one with this problem. In both cases it was with fairly rapid descents but I don't know exactly where the throttle was. Pretty low in any case and I think it just shut the motors off while it was still in the air. At least if it was in immediate mode you could refire the motors right away. I will not make that mistake again and I hope they get that problem fixed right away.

bnt276

thanks AEA737. After reading several different posts from several others I am certainly not the only one with this problem. In both cases it was with fairly rapid descents but I don't know exactly where the throttle was. Pretty low in any case and I think it just shut the motors off while it was still in the air. At least if it was in immediate mode you could refire the motors right away. I will not make that mistake again and I hope they get that problem fixed right away.

You are not alone.
I installed the 3.1 update on my NASA v1 with gps with gimbal etc. In my testing, normal mode works perfect but as soon as I try the Att or gps it just wants to climb up with very little or no response from the sticks.
I am using a DX8 and had default vertical gains set and it would behave the same and I am sure my failsafe is set right. I then tried assigning the vertical gain to my AUX3 knob to see if I could get any good results and no go. Oddly enough, I would reset the system and try flying later and all seemed fine until maybe a second battery.... same results. Not using the voltage protection and I do have a good understanding of the gains and their purpose.

Next up I reverted back to older firmware and it all worked perfect.

The only thing odd in my setup is that I am using Detrum 18A esc's from a previous KK build that worked fine.

I recently ordered the iOSD with hopes of using it with the new 3.1 FW update because I fly mainly FPV but it looks like I wont be able to use it as I relied on the Att and GPS hold for my flying.

I may try new 30A DJI esc's to see if that will fix my problem but I'm really not sure if I want to keep investing.

sim_io

Sorry about your crash.

Javier

Are the people reporting that their motors stop in the middle of the air using Intelligent mode? I am using Immediate cut-off so I am wondering if that setting is immune to the auto shut off.

bnt276

Motors stopping in mid flight is rather worrying.

I have lost 3 Graupners, X468 flamegear gimbal legs X 2, and stripped servo gears (Hitec 65MG) at least 4 arms.
I spent most of this weekend trying to repair the broken leg areas with carbon fiber spars, CA, and hex bots
and I must say I did a good job. :) Helidirect do not supply spare parts for the X468 gimbal but they did offer 10% off a brand new one. :)

The whole auto take off function is a little wonky IMO. There should at least be an option to turn that off.
Imagine if Boeing decided it was a good idea to add auto take off to their fleet.
In reality there are people out there trusting this update to carry thousands of dollars in gear into the sky to get the job done.

So, I really am not venting here but voicing an opinion. I also fly heli's and do realize it can get expensive.
Maybe a little more thought and testing was in order.

On the bright side, I love the naza when it works. It's great!

Brent

STI-REX

Gettin Old
I can't help but feel this release of the naza v2 is a thinly disguised attempt to avoid a costly recall on faulty naza v1 units as both of mine have problems with the voltage from the VU dropping below 2 volts for up to 3 seconds in flight causing the controller to reset and loose control causing a crash due to rx resetting as well

I have replaced both units twice and still this problem rears it's ugly head and even happens on the bench with out any current draw from the motors on a fresh charged pack

I can even replicate it with the VU units directly attached to a battery with no other load , even had somebody else do the soldering to eliminate me and it still happens

It seems to happen more when the GPS unit is attached to the naza when flown in ATTI/GPS and less when flown in manual mode with GPS unplugged

Last edited by a moderator:

KeithM

Problem installing 3.10 firmware

I'm having the same problem that Phil550 did earlier in this thread. I've got the Assistant v2.10 installed and when I connect my F550/Naza M v1, I get the message that new firmware is available, but I never get the window to begin the download. I get the screen in the attached picture that states that I have v 2.02 firmware and no updates are available. I also get the message in red at the lower right that states "You must upgrade main controller firmware to the new version."

Phil550 solved his problem by loading Assistant 1.8 which brought up the window to begin the firmware download. Unfortunately, I don't have 1.8, but only 1.6 which does not work. Version 1.8 is no longer available on the DJI website.

BTW - I was able to upgrade to the new firmware on my Phantom yesterday withour issues on the same computer. Anyone got a suggestion?

View attachment 11666

Attachments

• assistant.jpg
    assistant.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 357
Last edited by a moderator:

golfo

KeithM, I had same issue, no problem for Phantom but F550 upgrade did not appear. I disconnected and connected again to Naza, changed screens a few times in Assistant and finally upgrade window appeared. Still not able to arm the motors though.

Phil550

I'm having the same problem that Phil550 did earlier in this thread. I've got the Assistant v2.10 installed and when I connect my F550/Naza M v1, I get the message that new firmware is available, but I never get the window to begin the download. I get the screen in the attached picture that states that I have v 2.02 firmware and no updates are available. I also get the message in red at the lower right that states "You must upgrade main controller firmware to the new version."

Phil550 solved his problem by loading Assistant 1.8 which brought up the window to begin the firmware download. Unfortunately, I don't have 1.8, but only 1.6 which does not work. Version 1.8 is no longer available on the DJI website.

BTW - I was able to upgrade to the new firmware on my Phantom yesterday withour issues on the same computer. Anyone got a suggestion?

View attachment 14875

I downloaded V 1.8 from here:

http://www.rcheliresource.com/update-new-dji-naza-firmware-available-for-download/

I managed to arm the motors by adjusting the subtrims - travel to get the sliders to turn green when centred.

Phil

Tahoe Ed

Unless you remove the prior versions of Assistant they are still resident on your computer. Open them up and allow the upgrade to proceed to the prior version of the firmware. I does work.

bnt276

Just a FYI.
I did report 2 separate report tickets via the DJI website.
No one has replied to give any help or feedback.