CS8 to X8 conversion - Herkules ESC III V3

elossam

acks about three FET lost the varnish consecutively and not all at once. That happened in two fets of one engine and one from another. Engines never armed nor worked. Still waiting the results of what happened to know if it was my fault. That was using a Hoverfly Pro but dude it has any relation. I should do something wrong but cant figure what.

Any news on the Herkules and Dji testing?.
I too I am abit worried about the boards. My opinion is that something this fragile and expensive should come in a box RTF.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I got news but dont get too excited i didn't get the chance to go. We cancelled because of the weather, but Andreas hooked up some machinery to the MC outputs of the WKM, later more have to translate it to english. Hope it will workout this friday !!!

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Okay the Grundfrequenz not sure in english I guess bases-frequency of the PPM signal for motors 5 - 8 is asynchronous to the PPM signal they are getting from the motor output to motors 1-4.

This could be a explanation though to some users not getting their ESCS to work on certain ESC ports from the MC.

This doesn't explain the pulsing we experience though. They couldn't fly the bird do to -12 and they didn't want to risk anything with the big Octo build. Concerning the pulse width which really determines or tells the ESCs how much power to push onto the motors they couldnt find any jitters or similar problems.

They will try once the weather gets better what it is at the moment at least temperature wise in the area austria germany to continue the tests. I will be on the phone or manage this friday to test with mine infront of them. Although i am very positive that once they have their skyjib up in the air with big props they will experience the same !

Boris

elossam

Not sure but maybe thats why I feel the fore-aft stick orders are not perfectly straight like some engines reacting a little faster than others.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
like said the base frequency shouldnt really mater it rather the pulse length or width, but i hope we will know more soon.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

some flying in the wind today. You cant see the wind in the trees but check the front boom coming into the picture from time to time i constantly had to fight the wind coming from the right. Its okay results !

Boris

sorry cam auto setting couldn't deal in the cold to fiddle around !

Last edited by a moderator:

Okay the Grundfrequenz not sure in english I guess bases-frequency of the PPM signal for motors 5 - 8 is asynchronous to the PPM signal they are getting from the motor output to motors 1-4.

Maybe thats the reason quads perform better in the wind. This also explains the motor port limitation of DJI systems. Octo configurations were implemented based on afterthought.

I predict a WK2 hitting the market with better hardware in a couple of months.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
could be but that would mean a huge roar ! Before anything they have to open some more tunning options that actually make a difference. Lets see

elossam

Could that mean there is a delay between orders executed by the 1-4 engines and the ones executed by the rest? may be a x8 configuration are less susceptible to this problen as it has the first ones in one floor and the rest in the other.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
No i would not interpret to much into the basefrequency being different on the different motor output. Not that I undertand a whole lot about it, but Andreas would have pointed this out specifically as a problem for his Herks or other ESCs. I think this basefrequency can be an issue though for certain ESCs actually coming to life during their startup. LIke we have seen with some people not getting the ESCs to work on certain ports of the MK BL Ctrl not working at all with the WKM although they can take PPM input.

Interesting would be so see the frequency width which command the ESCs, during flight and being altered by the baro sensor/logic of the MC during flight.

Boris

elossam

You can actually do that using a eagletree and bypassing one esc signal wire throught it to record the thr position along an entire flight, no?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
thats what Andreas is doing to measure the output ports:

Dont think a eagletree will capture will anything he really needs for analyzing.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
did some test flights in door today ( i hate it but what should i do) went through the whole lipo bandwidth 4s 5s 6s once again. I am coming to the point that i cant find adequate gains setting for 6s. The bird is so harsh in the air and the throttle responds is strange no matter which gain setting i use. 4s its seems smoother in the air than with 5s but not really noticeable on the cam. For some reason also the first time the motors got to hot with 6s.

Boris

Siteline

We have the same observations. We haven't tried the 6s but the power surges are more evident with the 5s. I think at this point we are going to stick to the 4s in parallel, if I can find some decent high MaH ones? Any recommendations? We did order a couple nano-tech 6000MaH to try, but I was unable to find 8000MaH in 4s.

dr ray

dr ray
6kg total.
My Herk with 6S gets to hot. With 4S the amps. to high. I desoldert one cell on my 6S and also i am testting the 5S nanos 35c. They seem to be fine.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
nope havent seen any 4s 8000 mah, but i am using the 6000 mah nano since a while now, actually since half a year and now they are finally getting to the point that i will change them, only using them form now on on the CX, but i think thats okay. I couldn't oberseve the herks getting hot you are using a heat sink Dr ray ? only the motors got hot although only using 12 x 3.8.

Once it can finally do some useful testing outside which I planned for the last 2 days but than only rain, i am going to dig into the vertical gains settings more, if any one has experience how they influence the power surges or not i would be happy to get some feedback.

I really really hope next FW release we finally get some PID setting that can be tuned for the WKM otherwise i am going to look at MK again, getting sick of the lack of support for big birds.

Boris