CS8 to X8 conversion - Herkules ESC III V3

This fits to my experience.
In case of using a coax drive with same motor and same props on both sides, the best efficiency with upper motor running 5...10% slower than the lower motor.
Means for the mixer to use 90...95% as value.
Thanks for your pictures!

The latest updates for ESC, Tele-Interface and Datalogger will be found in the download section. All files fitting together are packed in one zip-file.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I am trying out an assembled, custom made X8 that is already fitted with the two Hercules III boards and a Wookong FC.

I do not like the standard DJI X8 Motor Mixer, with all the top motors CW and all the bottom motors CCW. There is very little provision for failures with this configuration and I would definitely prefer to have top and bottom motor sets both set up as autonomous Quads - as Andreas himself has mentioned a few posts earlier. But, as I do not have a Hercules manual (or any experience of the Hercules) I do not know which two of the three motor cables to swap in order to reverse that motor.

Additionally, I have no idea how to set up a custom motor mixer so that the WKM is aware of each motor's direction.

So my requests are:

Andreas, how do I register on your site in order to download the manual?
Who has the lowdown on setting up a custom motor mixer for the above mentioned configuration?

+1 on the top and bottom board running as 2 separate quads. I have been using that config on mine for many months with zero issues. I have found that running all motors at the same power instead of the top running slower offers no discernible difference in efficiency or flight performance on the Wkm.
The only Wkm system I am not afraid of using lately is the one with Herkules III and Pletty motors.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
How do you configure the custom motor mixer?

The table that becomes enabled has a row of the four controls for each motor but where does one start with entering values?

Ah-Ha! Just found this ...

076-WKMCustomMixer.jpg

Well that seems to make sense, and so simple (!!!), because instead of rewiring the ESC/Motor wires to reverse the direction, you enter a minus value. Is this correct?

Don't want to bend this exotic airframe:

077-DX8.png

Hi all,

four answers in one post... i hope this works ;-)

So my requests are:
Andreas, how do I register on your site in order to download the manual?
Who has the lowdown on setting up a custom motor mixer for the above mentioned configuration?
Answer 1: Please Register by using the contact form on www.andreasbaier.de. I will send you quickly the login data for downloading the user manual. Meanwhile it is pretty detailed and has lots of different settings for DJI WKM and Mikrokopter described in.
Also the mixer tables for the custom X8 is in here.

I have found that running all motors at the same power instead of the top running slower offers no discernible difference in efficiency or flight performance on the Wkm.
Answer 2: I did lots of measurements with differnet propellers on my automatic thrust/efficiency testbench and found out that most of the propeller combinations have an efficiency increase of about 5% in case the speed of the top propellers is is about 5..7% lower than the bottom propeller. Maybe with your propellers the effect is not so high.

The only Wkm system I am not afraid of using lately is the one with Herkules III and Pletty motors.
Anwer 3: Why do you have this opinion? Herkules III works perfectly with the Plettenberg Motors! I agree, that the Plettenberg Orbit motors are not easily to drive, but we improved a lot in our firmware and meanwhile whe have customers who drive with Plettenberg and Herkuels is the only safe ESC for this motors....

How do you configure the custom motor mixer?
Well that seems to make sense, and so simple (!!!), because instead of rewiring the ESC/Motor wires to reverse the direction, you enter a minus value. Is this correct?
Don't want to bend this exotic airframe:
Anwer 4: NO, this is NOT TRUE!
By a minus you CAN NOT change the rotation direction of a motor! You have to change 2 motor wires or change the firmware of the ESC.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Thanks for that. I will hot foot over to your site and get legal.

Shame that the motor direction change is not so simple. Plenty of room for error when the wires are all black!

FerdinandK

@MombasaFlash
You can just use the standard X8 motor mixer, just ignore the "top" and the "bottom" only use the motor-ports accorting to their arm and their rotation direction (CW, CCW). On all my X8 (using the X8 mixer) I have mixed props on top and bottom.

best regards
Ferdinand

Anwer 3: Why do you have this opinion? Herkules III works perfectly with the Plettenberg Motors! I agree, that the Plettenberg Orbit motors are not easily to drive, but we improved a lot in our firmware and meanwhile whe have customers who drive with Plettenberg and Herkuels is the only safe ESC for this motors.... .

You must have misunderstood me!. I said that the only system I am NOT afraid of using is the Herkules III and the Orbit motors.

zorba

Hi Andreas I downloaded the manual and I see some changes in it form the old one.
Why the configuration of the motor sequence changed?
My First octo with the Herk III I used the old setup. Is this setup any better and why?
I am building a second one with the DJI-WKM FC and I'm using the flat "X" configuration.
Also you have two variants for the "+" and the "X" why?
Thanks and it looks good a lot more detail in the manual.

Bill

Hi,
you are right. The user manaul was reworked completely. But there are no "new" configurations described. There are only "more" configs in. As Herkules is currently mainly used for DJI WKM and Mikrokopter, these two main systems are described in parallel. There are a lot of possibilities more but i can not describe everyone.
The use of + or X is up to the users preference. Some like it so and some otherwise.

Only the Coax-8 mounting was changed because this mounting showed better performance in terms of stability and agility. But you can use also the original description as shown in the WKM manual. Please see the configurations in the Herkules User Manual only as examples and not as mandatory.
Andreas

mtec

hi Boris,

ich wollte mich nochmal in Erinnering ist denn noch Möglich die von dir entwurfenen Teile für den Cinestar zu bekommen !?

DANKE FÜR DEINE MÜHE
MARCELL

nisouck

Yes, you are right.
First I try with my iPhone, it's ok and this afternoon with a other PC it's ok too.

So the first PC has a problem with this site, I will check later.