a newbie looking for a copter for professional gopro filming

tikigod19

Not having seen the damn thing before I thought if the guy told me to bend it back then it'd have a bit of flex in it! As it happens I've now discovered that flatter mount (although not available in the UK I don't think) which would solve a storage issue so maybe it was fate and all will end up well.. How's that for positivity having just broke a new toy I've been dreaming of for months?

tikigod19

First flight today, love this thing. Even put the gopro on it and took off from a cardboard box. What a rush!

2 issues.. Slight drift in gps mode - fix in naza assistant or with spektrum trims?

The voltage telemetry seems wrong on the dx8.telling me I'm about 0.4 volts lower than I really. This results in the 10.1v warning buzzer sounding after only a couple of mins.

tikigod19

Can't get enough of my new bird, and the spending has not stopped yet, with about £700 on accessories this week alone!

Thanks a lot to everyone for their help in this thread, especially kloner Tstrike and even more especially Langdale who has helped me every step of the way and trained me well!

Skykid

Hey guys, just wanted to report that all the pieces are in and I have begun the build (F550). Let the joy/anguish begin. Thanks to all of you for your guidance thus far. I'm sure I'll be on again soon looking for solutions.

A few preliminary questions:

Is wire mesh necessary to protect leads to the battery and esc's?

Which connectors should I use? Charger is the RC TP610C

Should I cut the bullets off the esc and solder direct?

Should I heat shrink the connections to the power board?

Regarding wiring the DJI ESC's to the NAZA: I have read that I should only connect one red ESC wire to the FC. is this correct? And if so, what is the logic here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Congrats to the new pilots here. This thread was tremendous! Some great philosophy and even better humor. I really enjoyed reading this one fellas.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Hey guys, just wanted to report that all the pieces are in and I have begun the build (F550). Let the joy/anguish begin. Thanks to all of you for your guidance thus far. I'm sure I'll be on again soon looking for solutions.

A few preliminary questions:

Is wire mesh necessary to protect leads to the battery and esc's?

No but some guys do it cuzz it's pimpy

Which connectors should I use? Charger is the RC TP610C

Deans or XT60 are quite popular with multirotorist

Should I cut the bullets off the esc and solder direct?

Some guys swear by this, I don't but have never had a bullet fail

Should I heat shrink the connections to the power board?

Hot glue or liquid tape works well

Regarding wiring the DJI ESC's to the NAZA: I have read that I should only connect one red ESC wire to the FC. is this correct? And if so, what is the logic here?

If you're using the dji opto's it's just plug and crash errr play no need to disconnect any esc wires

good luck and have fun!

Bluerex

[/B]

If you're using the dji opto's it's just plug and crash errr play no need to disconnect any esc wires!

Just to expand slightly :)
DJI ESCs have optically isolated inputs i.e. no DC connection and no battery eliminator circuit (BEC), so the red wire does nothing :) non-opto ESC's tend to include some sort of BEC and you may only want the 5v output from one of them to power receivers/gimbals/FC etc. Running power from more than one ESC can/will cause problems. Naza has its own power management so doesn't need the ESCs for power.

C

Skykid

Thanks, guys!

Other questions:
Battery connectors: my batteries and charger are bullets. Should I swap them out for deans? I would have to snip and re-solder (you probably new this...)

Motor Leads are way too long. Should I cut them down and re-solder the bullet connectors?

G

Skykid

Hello again, everyone! I built the copter (f550 w/naza/tiger 2216-11, dji 30 optp, iris aerial components, wire isolators) then it flew away. Not sure if it was me or NAZA. in any case its gone. Now I am making a new shopping list but I cant find the Tiger motors anywhere. Any recommendations? I can rebuild, I can move up to 650. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

Skykid

Tikigod, I am really impressed with your footage! And am reinsured to get back to work on a new bird. Can you tell me what you were using?

I will search under than name for Tiger Motors, thanks.

Might be that the wind just took my 550, at about 200m i hit the fail safe, but with the angle and the range it was hard to tell if it was coming down or just holding alt. at that point i sprinted to the truck. By the time I made it over the hill, the bird had disappeared. Spent many hours in a truck, atv, and even airplane looking for it.

It flew
away?! That's scary.. Thought that was just the phantom.

Tiger motors are called torxpower in the UK you may have luck searching for those.

Here's the first bit of purposeful filming I did with my f550 by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxspKBoDomw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

tikigod19

Damn.. I always rely on the rth. I'd hate to think it might let me down. Did you have your name on it?

I'm using an f550 with naza gps and tiger 2216 motors as recommended by that yank legend kloner and a few more on here. Would never have made the jump into what has fast become my favourite hobby if it wasn't for this thread!

I've added a yun-1 gimbal (not all that good..), aeroxcraft landing gear and fatshark 600mw fpv kit with screen on my dx8. Packed everything with foam and added a clip on nd filter to the gopro 3 black which seems to soften things slightly (might be slow shutter speed) but certainly helped with jello.

It's been months to get it to this point and I'm now scared to touch it for fear of going backwards but I'm considering changing the expensive aeroxcraft landing gear for a cheap ebay one a few people recommend solely to give me more gimbal clearance as the yub is about an inch taller than most recommended gimbals. Just worried that doing this will introduce vibration again..

Kilby

RTH is a failsafe, and should be used for nothing else. If you are using it as a normal part of your workflow, you are just asking for trouble. Try googling Naza fly away once and see what comes up.

Buy Sunnysky motors........ absolutely nothing wrong with the DJI NAZA........
but all RC receivers, MR controller and their sensors are prone to big issues where there is vibration including fly aways...
But the biggest reason is a failure to configure the RC radio system to correctly interface to the NAZA controller.
Only when all control functions are completely proven on the workbench can these be flown safely.
Just confirming the NAZA Assistant is responding to the intended input is not enough....
look of NAZA function interference from other RC xmitter switches during bench testing..... there can be unnoticed control overlap....
in one case the activation of a Buddy Box trainer mode lead to my MR switching immediately into RTH mode......

Hello again, everyone! I built the copter (f550 w/naza/tiger 2216-11, dji 30 optp, iris aerial components, wire isolators) then it flew away. Not sure if it was me or NAZA. in any case its gone. Now I am making a new shopping list but I cant find the Tiger motors anywhere. Any recommendations? I can rebuild, I can move up to 650. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks!

If one has the IOC functioning properly.... switch it to Home lock mode.......even if the MR is constantly spinning...... a pull back on the stick will bring it back to you....
Also some of the less expensive park flyer RC radio systems will not have the range you might expect.

Tikigod, I am really impressed with your footage! And am reinsured to get back to work on a new bird. Can you tell me what you were using?

I will search under than name for Tiger Motors, thanks.

Might be that the wind just took my 550, at about 200m i hit the fail safe, but with the angle and the range it was hard to tell if it was coming down or just holding alt. at that point i sprinted to the truck. By the time I made it over the hill, the bird had disappeared. Spent many hours in a truck, atv, and even airplane looking for it.