a newbie looking for a copter for professional gopro filming

tikigod19

hi all, I'm new to the forum and looking for a quad or octo copter (dont know the difference.. is an octo more stable because of the extra props?) to mount my gopro hd hero 3 black edition on.

I plan on shooting in 2.7k and then using that extra resolution to do some sort of image stabilisation (never done this before so any advice welcome!) but I really want something that's not going to break the bank (ideally up to about £500 GBP) but also give a smooth motion. Ive seen lots of videos of the recommended copters in the advice for getting started thread but dont know if they're all still current recommendations so thought I'd ask from scratch.

If its compatible I have a Spektrum DX4e DSM2transmitter from an RC plane but not sure if the copter transmitters work differently.

Priorities for me are:

1) smooth motion
2) relatively portable (could fit fully made up on the back seat of a car ideally)
3) price

I understand you can buy different gymbals which I think act as a multi point pivot sort of mount to take out some of the sway (similar to what is fitted on my glidecam HD2000 camera steadicam) so would appreciate that a decent one of these would be a wise investment. On that topic, does 'hard mounted' mean its not using a gymbal but attached solidly to the copter? I ask as I watched an X650 V8 hardmounted video and saw lots of jello strobing from the gopro which surprised me as lots of people seemed to recommend this model.

oh one more thing.. i think im right in saying you cant modify a gopro for manual exposure control so this worries me slightly. If its not much more expensive or harder to fly I'd consider putting one of my smaller cameras like a canon 550d (rebel t2i) on the copter.

Thanks in advance!

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
I'm finding that the mount and overall quality of the Phantom is entry level. You pretty much have to double that price for a decent RTF. You want a gimbal of some type.

Steadidrone QU4D and Turbo Ace x830-D both are about $1795 usd, but might be more of what you would be happier with. Rc-Drones.com or Readytoflyquads.com might be a couple hundred less.

Last edited by a moderator:

tikigod19

Thanks for the reply. Can't you get an aftermarket gimbal for the phantom? I do love the portability of that thing and some videos I've seen are very smooth (others are awful) I think I'd use an nd filter and shoot at 120fps too if what I have read is accurate. I agree though, a gimbal is needed..

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
I have seen some on ebay for $139 I think, but what I don't know is if they are plug and play or do they require splicing and programming. Heck, I don't remember how many axis they were either. But you are right there are some options. Rc-Drones.com is modifing the Phantoms for better radios and maybe his gimbals too?. Check his vids out on his home page.

kloner

Aerial DP
Your looking too deep. just get something cheap to learn on, simulator, get a phantom without a gimbal and go learn about jello, what makes that guys work and yours not, things like that. This as a business is more than most people think. You have to be submersed and have a labor of love mindset

One crash with a gimbald anything will cost more than a whole phantom kit. nothing from a phantom is ever gonna be a pro rig.... as the title. It's a 330mm quad..... at least a f450 will take you places, but still not enough for a gimbal that works, as in pro or smooth footage, etc. And lot of that is the skill you learn making flicks without gimbals till they look marketable. upgrade to a nice fresh rig with a fancy dancy gimbal once you quit crashing and bang, your like a rock star

tikigod19

Kloner with that in mind what would you advise practising on? The phantom? Would need to be something that takes the gopro so I can judge when it is time to upgrade from the footage

kloner

Aerial DP
i'd get a 450 arf... arms are cheap... you can get decent quality when you nail it, etc. this is a disco which is the same basic thing, just more for fpv.... naza controller, big motors but that's just me

those wire isolators breezemont is selling is the bomb for instant jello free footage.

tikigod19

Is that video sped up or is that thing lightning fast? (which is the opposite of what I really want!) will check out the wire isolators. Are they compatible with all copters?

kloner

Aerial DP
thats regular speed.

they are, you take em along to the next rig..... heres some slower flight with a rig like a 450

thats exactly a year ago, crazy how fast you can move along

kloner

Aerial DP
another option is something like irisaerials fold n fly. He's quick to get parts from, is a model you can grow with and even have it in your arsenal years from now with a purpose. the dji arf's have horrible motors but the esc and naza are pretty big bang for the buck.

tikigod19

So what do you get for double the price of the phantom? Stability? Certainly looks smooth. I'm good with the video editing side of things so could probably stabilize quite a lot but would still prefer a portable copter. Will have to look into the size comparison with the 450..

You said to learn in a cheap model then upgrade.. What would you suggest practising on?

tikigod19

another option is something like irisaerials fold n fly.
I'm really after something that's relatively ready to fly as my knowledge on these things (and understanding of 50% of what you say in your kind replies) is non existent at the moment..

kloner

Aerial DP
the link to it is in my signature

learning on the cheap is a f450-550.... neither will carry a "good" gimbal and cam to go make money with, that will come in the form of the new brushless gimbals in the hero size, you'd want tomething like a 650 size hex at the least. something with cf arms and 12" props.....

My first rig was an f450 christmas of 2011, little over a year later 10 grand sounds reasonable for a rig........ it's a weird long road. I came in with 20 years of rc experiance. These have alot of the same build qualities of single rotor helis. Coming from single rotor, this was a piece of cake. i have no idea what this is like as a first experiance with models.

learn on the cheap, step up when your ready and go take there money

Breezemont

those wire isolators breezemont is selling is the bomb for instant jello free footage.
Thanks man, that's a huge compliment from someone like you.

tiki, the Phantom is a classic "entry level" RTF machine that is quickly outgrown but a great example of a company that clearly has it's ear to the ground and is getting rich selling shovels to the miners.
Listen to kloner.
Not many guys making money at the gig right now will give you the straight scoop like he will.
Doing your research now can save you huge money, time and frustration.

Having said that, I predict there will be a glut of used Phantoms on the market pretty soon... ;)

dr427

Trying to figure it out!

Attachments

• 542761_425669930849499_602956112_n.jpg
    542761_425669930849499_602956112_n.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 288

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
RC-Drones Phantom Mount for DJI Phantom:

kloner

Aerial DP
if it was my first go, i'd stick with naza...... not everything you posted does and i'll leave it at that.

tikigod19

thanks to all, I'm really learning a lot.

Just a little thing I think I should have been more clear on from the start when I said I wanted to take on aerial video professionally.. I already create wedding and corporate videos and have build a sucessful name for myself but I'd like to add the extra dimension with just 1 or 2 aerial shots per piece. I was not suggesting I'd go out and solely film aerial footage with the aim of selling it to people.. I know i'd need to spend tens of thousands for that. I was more hoping that if I flew through 2 or 3 batteries around the venue when the wedding guests are eating their food that I might end up getting 1 or 2 useable shots to add the wow factor..

My total equipment cost is about £30k so it seems mad to spend another £10k on a professional flying rig IF (and nobody knows what'll happen in the future I guess) I only ever end up using 1 or 2 shots..

Thoughts?