DJI Wookong in the Antartica

ricardo

Hi,
I've read in the manual that the WKM autopilot won't work in the polar circle.
In a few month I'll travel to the antartica and the uruguayan base is very close the the polar circle (62º 11´4´´ S , 58º 51´7´'W), I don't know how my s800 will behave, I also have an droidworx with mikrokopter, Any ideas?, somebody with experience in chilly weather?
Thanks.

maxwelltub

Well that sounds awesome! Its fine in cold weather, your lipos will not work as well so make sure you keep and eye on your voltage levels. I dont fly for more then 5 minutes if its in the upper 20s but other might have more details on that. I know there some folks here that have a lot more experience with sub freezing flying. As for the latitude can't say, calibrate your compass and dont rely on GPS mode.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
IMHO - Try to determine if your MR GPS system has a GPS system that includes WAAS. Then try to determine where the closest ground based GPS beacon is located. The purpose of these is to help improve GPS accuracy and reliability but there remains finite limits from two perspectives:
a) Trigonometry calculations thresholds.
b) Line of sight to the GPS satellites. The GPS satellites are in LEO - Low earth orbit.... If you fly from a mountain peak you might have better luck but be prepared to switch to manual or attitude mode if you fly down the mountain toward sea level..... far worse if you are not flying down the north side of the mountain.

Hi,
I've read in the manual that the WKM autopilot won't work in the polar circle.
In a few month I'll travel to the antartica and the uruguayan base is very close the the polar circle (62º 11´4´´ S , 58º 51´7´'W), I don't know how my s800 will behave, I also have an droidworx with mikrokopter, Any ideas?, somebody with experience in chilly weather?
Thanks.

ricardo

IMHO - Try to determine if your MR GPS system has a GPS system that includes WAAS. Then try to determine where the closest ground based GPS beacon is located. The purpose of these is to help improve GPS accuracy and reliability but there remains finite limits from two perspectives:
a) Trigonometry calculations thresholds.
b) Line of sight to the GPS satellites. The GPS satellites are in LEO - Low earth orbit.... If you fly from a mountain peak you might have better luck but be prepared to switch to manual or attitude mode if you fly down the mountain toward sea level..... far worse if you are not flying down the north side of the mountain.

I guess Waas is only available in north america, anyway my idea is to fly with the kopter in sight in attitude mode only. The thing is, how the compass is going to work with that extreme latitude? calibration is a must.
B regards.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The compass serves no purpose in Attitude mode.
In any case a compass close to the north or south pole will lose a lot of accuracy and/or shows random directions as you get closer to the pole.
Ask some pilots or scientists how they manage direction there.

I guess Waas is only available in north america, anyway my idea is to fly with the kopter in sight in attitude mode only. The thing is, how the compass is going to work with that extreme latitude? calibration is a must.
B regards.