a newbie looking for a copter for professional gopro filming

tikigod19

They should fit with the little inserts you'll get with the props. When you're ready to hang a camera, buy a Dubro prop balancer which is slightly more expensive then the magnetic type balancers but so much better (with good resell value also) and learn to balance your props. See, one more thing to add to the list of things you didn't need a month ago...

Already bought one!

tikigod19

My first multirotor related delivery.. A lipo safe charging pouch. I could barely contain my excitement opening that... Honest.

The rest will be here next week!!

Any good preliminary reading to get prepared?

tikigod19

Yes sir, I'm all educated. Also read some info on lipos. Just wondered what else was around to turn me into a flying god.. I'll be an flying god right?

Langdale

"Glass hopper, you must rearn not to fry until you have rearnt what I tell you, then you may soar into air and be called a god. You will hear all your devoted forrowers tell you when you have become god, as you will hear them shout with one voice, "OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!" followed by glate clash !.

tikigod19

Guys should I be getting a landing gear for my f550 even if arrives.. Will it reduce the chance of damage on landing or am I unlikely to damage as long as I'm careful? I'm also planning on getting a brushless gimbal one day but not sure if this will come with a landing gear or not..

Langdale

Tiki, I think I'd tend to wait until it arrives. The 550, having six arms is easy to take off and land. If you put landing gear on, you've a smaller area and you're more likely to tip it over on take off and landing if the grounds not level. See which way it is inclined to go on take off and be ready for it. Try not to be too gentle though on take off, the nearer you are to the ground the more dirty air, so get it up a metre or two.

tikigod19

Yeah that's one thing I've learned with the little practise quad, get it up there, then stabilise. Don't try to get level at 30mm up.. Ok will practise without landing gear if it'll fly land easily

Skykid

Greetings everyone. This is my first real post, but I have been following this thread closely and have been riding on the coattails of tikigod. Thanks to everyone's contribution on this page. I am in a similar position as tikigod. I want to start small, learn the ropes of RC and aerial video. Based on what I've followed on this thread I have come up with a shopping list. I would love to have the vets' perspective and guidance on the list. Thank you!

Some items I left as "??" because I wasn't sure what the consensus was. Also, I'm sure I am missing a lot of components like solder, tools, connections, wires, etc etc. I would be so grateful if someone feels to take the time to tell me what tools and supplies one would need in their "shop".

Frame DJI F550 "Flame Wheel" $48

FC NAZA (GPS) $300

Motors Tiger MS-2216 900KV $200

ESC's (6) DJI 30 $120

Props (6) ?? ???? I understand to start with flexible and economic

Controller/Rx Turnigy 9x $55

Lnd Gear Iris Aerial $36

Gimbal
Iris Aerial Batwing $15

Batteries Turgy 5000mAh 3S 30C $200

Battery Charger ??? ????

Wire Isolators Breezemont ?$? don't know what these are....

Prop Balancer Dubpro $30

Camera GoPro used

BEC external (switch mode)

Much thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

dr427

Trying to figure it out!
Greetings everyone. This is my first real post, but I have been following this thread closely and have been riding on the coattails of tikigod. Thanks to everyone's contribution on this page. I am in a similar position as tikigod. I want to start small, learn the ropes of RC and aerial video. Based on what I've followed on this thread I have come up with a shopping list. I would love to have the vets' perspective and guidance on the list. Thank you!

Some items I left as "??" because I wasn't sure what the consensus was. Also, I'm sure I am missing a lot of components like solder, tools, connections, wires, etc etc. I would be so grateful if someone feels to take the time to tell me what tools and supplies one would need in their "shop".

Frame DJI F550 "Flame Wheel" $48

FC NAZA (GPS) $300 <----New that is $399 - Used is $300-$350

Motors Tiger MS-2216 900KV $200

ESC's (6) DJI 30 $120

Props (6) ?? ???? I understand to start with flexible and economic <-------Google APC props

Controller/Rx Turnigy 9x $55

Lnd Gear Iris Aerial $36

Gimbal
Iris Aerial Batwing $15 <------------ http://www.irisaerial.com/products.html

Batteries Turgy 5000mAh 3S 30C $200 <---------- or these get good reviews too: http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-35c-5300mah-3s1p.html

Battery Charger ??? ???? <--------- Was a whole new world to me! The better ones will require an AC Adapter because they are DC. These are the better quality ones from what I have learned: http://www.progressiverc.com/chargers/battery-chargers

Wire Isolators Breezemont ?$? don't know what these are.... He changed his name to "No Mo Jello" http://www.ebay.com/sch/nomojello/m...h=item3ccf470c8c&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Prop Balancer Dubpro $30

Camera GoPro used <--------Hero 3 Black version can do 120fps at 720 and 60fps at 1080. Much better than the Hero 3 Silver version. $100 more though....

BEC external (switch mode)

Much thanks again!

See my additions next to your post.

tikigod19

Hi skykid glad my questions and everyone else's patience with me can be of help...

On the wire mount idea, would that attach directly to a landing gear or would we need something else to get the gopro on there? I'll go for a brushless gimbal down the line and assume this will then not be needed /not fit but if $29 means I can get me gopro attached immediately when I feel confident to do so but without horrible results then it's a wise spend I think..

tikigod19

a question for you knowledgeable people.. I have a f550 being built which will have a male deans connector for the lipo.

I have taken delivery of this lipo and I've been told I obviously need to fit a female deans on it. Is there a simple converter I can buy or do I need to solder something on? (or get someone else to do it as langdale suggested just to be sure)

Unlike in the photo, under the wire sheath which I can remove there is a 5.5mm Bullet Connector.

Any advice on how I'd connect this bellet connector to my Turnigy Accucell 6 charger would also be much appreciated (although this advice will soon be useless if I need to cut the wires to attach a deans plug)

Thanks

Marklincs

a question for you knowledgeable people.. I have a f550 being built which will have a male deans connector for the lipo.

I have taken delivery of this lipo and I've been told I obviously need to fit a female deans on it. Is there a simple converter I can buy or do I need to solder something on? (or get someone else to do it as langdale suggested just to be sure)

Unlike in the photo, under the wire sheath which I can remove there is a 5.5mm Bullet Connector.

Any advice on how I'd connect this bellet connector to my Turnigy Accucell 6 charger would also be much appreciated (although this advice will soon be useless if I need to cut the wires to attach a deans plug)

Thanks

Cut the bullet connector off one wire at time..

solder a Deans on or go for the XT60s most people use on quads/hexas its better connector overall

You'll need to then make a charge lead up as well for the charger

tikigod19

Unpacked it.. Broke it.

The gps mount pole on my 550 delivered today was bent (damaged in transit) and I was advised to bend it back by the retailer so I did and it snapped.

Is there a way of mounting it flatter to the frame so that I can put the 550 without props in something like a cymbal bag as I was hoping to do?

I suppose something like this but I'd worry this affects reception..

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_96&products_id=1143

tstrike

pendejo grande
It's like a Greek tragedy man, how the hell did you break the rod? I made a gopro mount for my pod since I share it between to ships, Kloner uses some kind of dragon snot and tacks it down flat, I tried velcro and couldn't get the pod to sit flat enuff. I guess with the pod you should be more concerned about it not being blocked from the sky since it's hookin up with sats.