5.04 WKM firmware released

CineRebel

Hi Tom,

I had something similar while I was doing bench tests with my skyjib and after starting the motors 2 or 3 motors stop spinning if I had trottle lower then 50% ... I changed My motor idle speed to high and problem solved!

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
The two main differences I have noticed with 5.06 is you have a larger range of gains to play with. Meaning its not as sensitive for each % so you can fine tune it better. Also, the transition from Atti to GPS is no very smooth. No noticeable difference in the craft behavior when switching from Atti to GPS.

I "think" they also made the default settings of the Advance parameters different.

As recommended I always click default (erase old settings) on the Autopilot screen and start from scratch (100%) and adjust from there when upgrading firmware. With remote gains set on sliders one flight is all it takes to fine tune again. Plus, I like to fine tune a little inflight depending on the wind.

If the older firmware is working for you then "don't fix what is not broken" concept I would think applies.

rwijnhov

Ok I am defenitly returning to 5.0.2 i tested today with a lot of wind and in gps mode the f550 wouldn't keep it's positon it got blown away constantly.

Tomstoy2

Before you do that, I believe that the issue is now the gains are too low due to the increase in gain range.

Unfortunately, I can't test this with mine as I'm waiting for an esc.

It would be much appreciated if you could try increasing your gains and see how it holds then before rolling back! Of course, the decision is yours.

This much I do know, my initial tests, without wind were rock solid, much more than the previous version.

homer911

I have just finished my first WKM build ( Droidworx AD8 - HLE ). I had some gains in mind for the old firmware but should I still use them for my maiden flight??? There seems to be the consensus that we should be using higher gains than the last firmware. It states in the WKM manual to use the default values to start with, is this recommended?

Steven

ddmt

Have you guys seen this video? It looks pretty damn good to me, I haven't upgrade mine yet, still finishing up after upgrading all my Hobbywing 30A ESCs to CC Phoenix 25 ESCs. Will test the temperature of ESC & motor of the old and new firmware.

Tahoe Ed

I missed it and your are right it is da** good. I saw a F330 with a CC board fly today that did very well. I fly the v5.06 on my S800 and it works very well. Since I do not have another WKM to put on a sport flyer I can't even attempt what he was doing. I do want to test the temps on my S800 as I was flying in 90 degree temps today and the motors were hot, not that I could not touch them but hotter than when I flew in Lake Tahoe a week ago.

Tomstoy2

Ed, I got this little mt100 micro temp sensor. Little push button sensor, fits easily into any pocket and pretty damn accurate, especially since it is pretty cheap. Works excellent.
I primarilly got it for my Avant 90n, but I use it alot, ( when I remember it ).

CineRebel

Hi Everyone,

Last sunday we had our second first flight after a little crash at our maiden flight with the skyjib, this time we updated the FW to 5.06 and replaced the HW FlyFun 60 opto ESC with PLATINUM 40. It was a little windy 10-20km/hr

I must say it flew 100 times better than our very first flight very steady. this time having a camera on-board just to see the vibration levels we noticed almost no vibration. My pilot who is a very experienced MK pilot was speechless and said he is going to switch to DJI too!

the only thing I noticed was that in GPS mode with no stick movement it kept flying small circles around it's hold position, any thoughts on that??

i am not sure what my exact total weight (i think arround 9kg) was but we flew about 14 minutes on 2x 5s 11000 mah maxamp batteries. so far I am quite happy with the update!

cheers

Tahoe Ed

Make sure your balance is spot on. Move components to make is so. Have you checked your COG in ready to fly configuration or just eyeballed it? If not find the real COG. Then double check your mounting measurements. I think if you do that, the majority of your TBE will go away.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It is confirmed again for me that indeed my biggest problem was flying at my shop where there is some kind of funky interference. I took the heli to an open field with a DJI familiar friend. We adjusted upward from the stock 100 gains. Around 200-225 and 90-100 for attitude was the right spot. But we also tried setting the Z settings for both GPS and IMU to 0 and it flew just the same. We tried making them both 5 and it was slightly worse then -5 and it was noticeably better. I even took the GPS off the long shaft it comes with to just tape it right to the top of my stack where it isnt vulnerable to snapping off in the car or from flipping over. I have seen a lot more people just sticking the GPS right in the middle of the dome or in between the fram and they have no problems. I wont say it is perfect and i have not tested in wind. but it is the best it has ever flown. I have seen Vislaw's Y6 fly in 15+ with the exact same components and it was ROCK solid. I plan on converting my flat hex to a Y6 this weekend. but i am finally seeing some promise in the new firmware. But clearly the Z setting is not that critical.

CineRebel

Well we didnt spend a lot of time on that I guess.. i will try to balance more accurately next time and see if it's gone!

thanks ED

rwilabee

One thing that DJI told me to do was to be sure to do the Compass Calibration after making any mechanical changes or moving to another location.

Rich

Hi Everyone,

Last sunday we had our second first flight after a little crash at our maiden flight with the skyjib, this time we updated the FW to 5.06 and replaced the HW FlyFun 60 opto ESC with PLATINUM 40. It was a little windy 10-20km/hr

I must say it flew 100 times better than our very first flight very steady. this time having a camera on-board just to see the vibration levels we noticed almost no vibration. My pilot who is a very experienced MK pilot was speechless and said he is going to switch to DJI too!

the only thing I noticed was that in GPS mode with no stick movement it kept flying small circles around it's hold position, any thoughts on that??

i am not sure what my exact total weight (i think arround 9kg) was but we flew about 14 minutes on 2x 5s 11000 mah maxamp batteries. so far I am quite happy with the update!

cheers

wbrown

I had my second flight today with the new firmware installed. After my second small test flight it started to wobble like crazy, totally uncontrollable. Lucky I was only a few metres off the ground and managed to get it level just before it hit the ground. No damage. But after that scare I'm certainly rolling back.