5.04 WKM firmware released

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Just loaded it up on my testbed WKM quad and did a 5 minute test flight. This is the release that is supposed to make large frame multis more stable, the quad doesn't quite qualify although it's 600mm it weighs in at 2750 grams so not really a heavyweight either.

I did notice the transition from ATTI to GPS is perfectly seamless I had to check the LED to make sure it had actually changed,so definitely a plus if you switch modes while doing APV work. I have the ATTI gains on a slider with midpoint at 80% and adjustable from a low of 55% up to a maximum of 125%. Previously the quad had rock solid GPS position hold at the 80% setting and that includes in gusty wind. Today of course it's a bit drizzly and dead calm so I can't judge if there's any improvement in windy conditions but I did notice that the position hold wants to drift at the 80% ATTI gain settting where it was pretty locked in before, pushing the ATTI gain up to 125% seemed to lock the positon hold in like it used to be at 80% which would indicate that something has changed in the GPS code.

According to the release notes the differences are...

Optimize the GPS Controlmode; improve the control performance

and for new features,

Five level motor idle speed adjustable in motor mixer

So in the short and somewhat limited test flight I did see some difference in GPS, haven't looked at the motor speed adjustment yet as the quad seems to be just fine with the Avroto motors and reflashed ESCs. Idle speed is a bit more of an issue on my Cinestar with AXI motors but the firmware won't get loaded there until I've had more opportunity to bang the quad around and I feel comfortable that there aren't any bad things that might happen on the big hex. Ultimately that will be the real test, to load it on the Cinestar and see if it makes ANY difference when flying in windy conditons mainly because that's where the major problem is. While better position hold would be nice if the frame is still bouncing and jumping all over the place in ATTI mode with wind then it's no better off than with the old firmware.

More as I get time to test, hopefully it won't be wet tomorrow and I can get a couple batteries through the quad with the new firmware.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

xavivo

Just loaded it up on my testbed WKM quad and did a 5 minute test flight. This is the release that is supposed to make large frame multis more stable, the quad doesn't quite qualify although it's 600mm it weighs in at 2750 grams so not really a heavyweight either.

I did notice the transition from ATTI to GPS is perfectly seamless I had to check the LED to make sure it had actually changed,so definitely a plus if you switch modes while doing APV work. I have the ATTI gains on a slider with midpoint at 80% and adjustable from a low of 55% up to a maximum of 125%. Previously the quad had rock solid GPS position hold at the 80% setting and that includes in gusty wind. Today of course it's a bit drizzly and dead calm so I can't judge if there's any improvement in windy conditions but I did notice that the position hold wants to drift at the 80% ATTI gain settting where it was pretty locked in before, pushing the ATTI gain up to 125% seemed to lock the positon hold in like it used to be at 80% which would indicate that something has changed in the GPS code.

According to the release notes the differences are...

Optimize the GPS Controlmode; improve the control performance

and for new features,

Five level motor idle speed adjustable in motor mixer

So in the short and somewhat limited test flight I did see some difference in GPS, haven't looked at the motor speed adjustment yet as the quad seems to be just fine with the Avroto motors and reflashed ESCs. Idle speed is a bit more of an issue on my Cinestar with AXI motors but the firmware won't get loaded there until I've had more opportunity to bang the quad around and I feel comfortable that there aren't any bad things that might happen on the big hex. Ultimately that will be the real test, to load it on the Cinestar and see if it makes ANY difference when flying in windy conditons mainly because that's where the major problem is. While better position hold would be nice if the frame is still bouncing and jumping all over the place in ATTI mode with wind then it's no better off than with the old firmware.

More as I get time to test, hopefully it won't be wet tomorrow and I can get a couple batteries through the quad with the new firmware.

Ken

Ken,
Thanks for testing the new version, tomorrow I will try it and see the changes with my DW AD - 6.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Tried the new firmware on my CX4 with MT2814, F30A re-flashed esc and 12x3.8 carbon propellers.

I hope DJI did not degrade GPS performance in search for the fix for Aus users.

After 4 8000mah packs

Old firmware
Good GPS lock times
1.5 meter possition hold
Slight wobble with mod esc
Gimbal slow and drifting

New Firmware
Never locking, always 1 red light even after 50 min
3-5 circle radius (GPS mode)
Same slight wobble (no difference)
Gimbal slow and drifting (no difference)

Good to see that DJI only adressed loss of sales by Oceanic customers and nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Make sure to click default in the Autopilot tab and start fresh.
This has been the case with other firmware. If you don't click the default tab and reset everything to the "new" firmware numbers the old numbers (even 100%) are way off.

Worth a try.

Tomstoy2

Hmmmm, could be a very good point! It's not like there are that many #'s to write back in. Any way to confirm this? Maybe a phone call?

robvree

Tried the new firmware on my CX4 with MT2814, F30A re-flashed esc and 12x3.8 carbon propellers.

I hope DJI did not degrade GPS performance in search for the fix for Aus users.

After 4 8000mah packs

Old firmware
Good GPS lock times
1.5 meter possition hold
Slight wobble with mod esc
Gimbal slow and drifting

New Firmware
Never locking, always 1 red light even after 50 min
3-5 circle radius (GPS mode)
Same slight wobble (no difference)
Gimbal slow and drifting (no difference)

Good to see that DJI only adressed loss of sales by Oceanic customers and nothing else.

I'm so confused by the hostile attitude. The release notes say nothing about addressing GPS issues for Aus users or gimbal changes. The new firmware has been out all of several hours and you already made up your mind that it's crap? Could it be user error? Did you reset all your settings in the software and then go through the entire tuning process to nail down your gains?

I'm glad they don't jam a ton of changes into each release. Less chance of a catastrophic software error that ends up crashing and destroying handfuls of multis. Updating software is not an easy process. It takes lots of time and resources.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Hmmmm, could be a very good point! It's not like there are that many #'s to write back in. Any way to confirm this? Maybe a phone call?

Its always been the case with DJI firmware that you should click default to erase any left over numbers/settings. It also says it in red in the new manual. :)

Just went out and flew in high winds on the S800 with two 6s 5000mah packs and a zip tied AV200 with Nex5n gimbal. No complaints. Seems to hold very well, or at least as well as I would expect it to in the gusting winds.

No white LED's.
I get GPS lock in under 30 seconds and that does not seem to have gotten any better or worse.

I'm so confused by the hostile attitude. The release notes say nothing about addressing GPS issues for Aus users or gimbal changes. The new firmware has been out all of several hours and you already made up your mind that it's crap? Could it be user error? Did you reset all your settings in the software and then go through the entire tuning process to nail down your gains?

I reset all the settings before and made new gain adjustments. GPS failure to acquire satellites has nothing with gains or settings.

I tested the new firmware and for me it's worse than before. Since there is a lot of talk about the GPS failure in AUS and NZ I thought that this is the reason DJI updated the firmware.

If they don't address the major issues then why the update? Did you see a lot of people asking for idle motor speeds?

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
The AUS issue I think is a Hardware problem not a firmware issue.

Lack of GPS "grab" could just be the time of day etc. on your end. THe firmware was not to address that at all. Like I said I noticed no difference at all. Don't get me wrong sometimes it takes longer but that is usually the position of satellites.

White LED flash and change in characteristic between Atti and GPS was the main reason for the firmware. Also, people complaining about Start up speed after CSC.

All I want is hold position well and get rid of toilet bowl. The rest a good third party camera stabilization will fix the rest. :)

Kari

Wish i had second wkm-hexa i could try this out, too risky to update quite well working setup i'm going to need next few days. Even if there is not much difference with our current setups with higher disc loads, this still might make big difference with bigger props and lower disc loads what would be expected regarding to S800. I think we need to test this version much more before we doom the update.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
I think more people would be willing to test this new firmware if they knew they could roll back to the previous version. I think they need to update the software to allow users to roll back to previous firmware versions.

Michael64

1+ on that you should be able to use any of the software and firmware from previous releases. It should be a CUSTOMERS OPTION on what they want to use.

Michael64

Dewster

I like DJI, but I'm not excited about this update from reading the posts. I'm completely satisfied with the flight
performance of my Hexa. GPS hold is spot on (even in wind). Attitude mode hold is not as good as Gps altitude
mode. I know what to expect in that mode. My Hexa will remain as is until a major update comes along. If its not broke, don't fix it. I like spending less time tweaking and having more time to fly. Nothing is perfect.

Tahoe Ed

They do, you can go back to the previous software. It is all on their site. You like what you got, stay there. If not or you feel adventuresome try the new stuff with the knowledge you can go back.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I think more people would be willing to test this new firmware if they knew they could roll back to the previous version. I think they need to update the software to allow users to roll back to previous firmware versions.

You can rollback as long as you have the Assistant software for the version you want to roll back to. Just uninstall the current version, reinstall the older assistant and then when you do the firmware update with the older version it will get the correct version of the firmware from the DJI website. I've done it a couple times before and never had a problem reloading the older version.

Ken

rwijnhov

I like this firmware smooth transitions between gps and att. On my 550 with 4s and 8x5 graupners. Gains for pitch and roll are now 190 rest is 100. Verry smooth flying.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
5.04 was removed from server. 5.06 took its place.

Lets see if this one works better!

Just found an email in my inbox from DJI @ 6:08 AM that had this to say...

Dear Sir,

We made correction to the firmware 5.04 you downloaded last night; please go to our website and re-do the upgrade to 5.06.

Our apology for the inconvenience that might have caused you.

Sincerely,

DJI-Marketing

Ken