5.04 WKM firmware released

Kilby

Why not go even lower than 150, Yuri? If stock is 100, and you are getting twitches, I would at least go back to stock settings and go from there. From what I have heard, the gain range on the newest firmware has shifted down some, so you might need to go even lower.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have not tried that since I first got it so i didnt think to do it since every WKM owner I know is in the 200-350 range. I also tried adjusting on the fly using the slider and it seems to do best around 200. but it gets very twichy, VERY VERY twitchy. I am often happy to just land it safely. I know what smooth performance is as I have had it on here before. i also know the WKM is capable of amazingly smooth flight and very accurate GPS hold. I just have not been able to get the settings. Actually, I recently gave up on the problem being gains and started another approach which was to lower the CG of the heli by bringing my batteries below the frame plates as to above them. I was thinking more mechanically than electronically where a CG above the plane of the props lends to instability. So even with my CG a good 4 inches below the plane of the props it seems that it would be more inherently stable. I may start all over with a Y6 if this doesnt work out soon.

DennyR

The lower the CG the more work is required to level the model after a disturbance. My designs have the CG close to the center and I get super stable flight with standard DJI settings. The closer the heavy parts are to the center the less leverage is required to move them and thus the faster is the response. A pendulum action does not produce stability it decreases response time.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
The lower the CG the more work is required to level the model after a disturbance. My designs have the CG close to the center and I get super stable flight with standard DJI settings. The closer the heavy parts are to the center the less leverage is required to move them and thus the faster is the response. A pendulum action does not produce stability it decreases response time.

Yes, that is the same exact issues we found with Helis. That is why for Video we always went with front mounts. For photography and aerial Panos we us underlsung mounts. Underlsung mounts fly like a dump truck vs. front mount helis.

Kari

Ok, i went back to Graupner props and yaw issues are gone. Yesterday i was using slightly bigger 12X6 Xoars and it's still not working as well as grapuners. It was super smooth today but it was dead calm so bad to compare though. Looks to me that wkm is still better with higher disc load. I'm amazed S800 users are really getting good results with 15" props :dejection: Should we try tilting motors in if that's the secret?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I am all for having a perfectly balanced heli on the CG of the plane of the props. I moved them lower because they were too high. Now they re too low and also has a camera/gimbal below. I will eventually get one of Bart's XY8's which solves ALL of these small issues.

As for the YAW issue, unfortunately I am using Graupner 11x5's already and I still have huge issues with this after the new firmware. Perhaps lowering all the gains will fix that as well. I think it's weird they raised the gain limit to 500% but now it does better with lower values ???

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I went ahead and updated the Cinestar6 to the new version, honestly I don't see much difference at all. If anything the GPS hold isn't quite as good as it was on the 5.02 version, the rest of it seems to be about the same.

I've been out doing some test flights with the new firmware using a standalone IMU for the AV130 instead of the WKM gimbal control, makes a BIG difference. This is raw out of the camera, recorded an hour or two ago in very gusty wind. I don't think it would be possible to get too much steadier in these conditions with any flight controller on a big frame, in calm condtions this should be far better than anything I've been able to do with this combo so far. Still working on dialing in the IMU settings but getting close now...

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Siteline

Ok, i went back to Graupner props and yaw issues are gone. Yesterday i was using slightly bigger 12X6 Xoars and it's still not working as well as grapuners. It was super smooth today but it was dead calm so bad to compare though. Looks to me that wkm is still better with higher disc load. I'm amazed S800 users are really getting good results with 15" props :dejection: Should we try tilting motors in if that's the secret?

Has anyone tried larger props with the new firmware on the larger crafts? Like 13x6.5 or 14x4.7? I am really hoping that this is where the difference lye's.

wbrown

Has anyone tried larger props with the new firmware on the larger crafts? Like 13x6.5 or 14x4.7? I am really hoping that this is where the difference lye's.

I was just about to ask the same question. How would it fly with slow fly props?

Ken your video is looking quite impressive for those conditions. What gains have you settled for ? Also are you using graupners or apc 12x6 electrics?

Very nice Ken, is that on a nex5n? Ive been debating wether to chang to the new firmware, im about to fly my new ad6 hl in a few more days... Looks promising

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I was just about to ask the same question. How would it fly with slow fly props?

Ken your video is looking quite impressive for those conditions. What gains have you settled for ? Also are you using graupners or apc 12x6 electrics?

Haven't changed the gains from 5.02 to 5.06, still at 200% basic pitch and roll and ATTI is TX adjustable from 40% to 125%, probably set close to the 40% minimum in this video. Currently using APC 12 x 6 thin electric props, I also have a set of 13 x 4 thin E and a set of 14 inch Slowfly, both of which I have used when flying the Cinestar on MK electronics. I did try to fly it with WKM and the 13 x 4 and it was barely controllable it wobbled so much, flight lasted all of maybe 30 seconds before I put it back on the ground, wasn't interested in trying again after that.

What you can't see from the video is the frame is still bumping and jumping in the wind, its just that the Skyline IMU is doing a much better job of counteracting what the frame is doing than the WKM gimbal stabilization ever could. I've flown it this way with both 5.02 and today with 5.06 and the results are the same so I can't give any credit to the firmware for the improvement. I will say the Skyline is a slick little unit and well worth the wait.

Ken

wbrown

Ineresting. I have just updated the firmware on my cinestar 6. Hoping to get out soon for a test. How have you already got a Skyline gyro? Where can I get one from?

Kari

Today it was slightly gusty and i really can't see yet any difference to better wind behaviour. Only difference for me from 5.02 really is that now i get some kind of jitter to my gimbal. It's hardly visible in air but when you look at the footage it's there. Never had this before. Already came down well under 200 in P/R, any ideas what to adjust next. There might be idea trying way bigger 14"-15" props. I doubt they'll work well but i hope i'm wrong. If someone has bigger props setup please report if you find nice wind settings/props.

Kari

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ineresting. I have just updated the firmware on my cinestar 6. Hoping to get out soon for a test. How have you already got a Skyline gyro? Where can I get one from?

It's a Beta test unit from Photohigher, you can't buy one anywhere yet.

Ken

Tahoe Ed

I flew the 5.06 this weekend on my S800 and I was impressed with its performance in 8-16mph winds. From what I understand, the new version takes higher gain settings. Sidney posted what he is recommending and that is what I used to start. I still have some tweaking to do but not bad on such a large hexa. I am not sure how much the canted motors had on the stability. I am sure that they helped.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I flew the 5.06 this weekend on my S800 and I was impressed with its performance in 8-16mph winds. From what I understand, the new version takes higher gain settings. Sidney posted what he is recommending and that is what I used to start. I still have some tweaking to do but not bad on such a large hexa. I am not sure how much the canted motors had on the stability. I am sure that they helped.

I tried higher gain settings and the CS responded exactly as it did on previous versions of firmware. Increasing from 200 to 300 the stability got stiff and twitchy, dropping back to 200 it loosened up and was more controllable in very gusty winds.

DJI may have optimized the firmware to work specifically with the S800, it certainly doesn't seem any different on the CS other than the transition from ATTI to GPS mode and back is smoother and the GPS hold isn't as solid as it was.

In any case I'm not going to buy an S800 just to get decent performance in the wind with a WKM controller, I'll wait and see how well the YS-X6 works on the Cinestar platform. If it has better all around performance then there may be a couple WKMs for sale...

Ken

The new 5.06 firmware is not performing as well as 5.02, I am going back.

I have worse gps acquisition and position hold, the wobble in anything but dead calm is still there and the gimbal now twitches even more (not that it was usable before).

I too have a YS-X6 coming in hope that I can retire the WKm.