Zero UAV UAV Zero Steadi470

johnno

Just one other question (for now anyway), were you successful in setting up failsafe on your Futaba radio? I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. With my Naza it was super simple - since the interface showed were you were on the endpoints. I don't have a clue how to do it on this FC. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.,

Hi Jim, So much to learn so little time frustrating isnt it........John.

PhilippeN

Hi Jim, So much to learn so little time frustrating isnt it........John.

Hello Jim,

To activate the failsafe you need to do it in the TX. First you click on "LNK" you go in Failsafe.
The idea is to activate the return to home in case of loss of radio signal.
You need to change throttle and channel 5 and 6.
Throtthle neet to be at the middle position to keep altitude
Channel 5 and 6 to 100% which means they are in position 3 both of them 5= Auto Hover and 6= View attachment 8598View attachment 8599View attachment 8600Return Home

Hope it helps !

Philippe

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0247.jpg
    IMG_0247.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 226

socratic

Hello Jim,

To activate the failsafe you need to do it in the TX. First you click on "LNK" you go in Failsafe.
The idea is to activate the return to home in case of loss of radio signal.
You need to change throttle and channel 5 and 6.
Throtthle neet to be at the middle position to keep altitude
Channel 5 and 6 to 100% which means they are in position 3 both of them 5= Auto Hover and 6= View attachment 11194View attachment 11195View attachment 11196Return Home

Hope it helps !

Philippe
PERFECT!!!! Thanks for the help. Probably saved me many hours of searching for answers! :nevreness:

drjlsmit

Photogrammetrist
Steadicam alignment / calibration

Hi Everyone

I seem to be having some serious problems with my setup and hope you can advise me. I have been trying to calibrate the Steadicam component of the Stedi470 and this seems to be causing problems with everything else. Here is the scenario:

1. I run through the full YS-X6 calibration as per the Quickstart Guide and can control the UAV and fly OK;
  2. If at this stage press ‘Stedicam Alignment’ then the Stedicam gimbal runs right to back of the frame (i.e. camera forward and battery back) instead of maintaining the vertical alignment. I cannot get beyond this to Capture Roll and Pitch;
  3. I check the Manual Servo and Real Servo data and these seem to be quite worryingly different particularly for the Elevator and Aileron. In E and A the neutral positions of the Tx ‘stick’ show as ‘MP’ for the Manual Servo Data but show as (A) R10 and (E) Pull7 in the Real Servo Data.

At this stage I notice that the motors to not respond correctly to E and A commands from the Tx. I suspect that the difference between Manual and Real Servo Data is where my problem lies, but I do not know how to correct it.

I’ve tried reloading the firmware with no success. The firmware upload that I follow is YS-X6 firmware (20121114 replacement firmware “YS-X6-FW.arm”) first followed by Stedicam firmware (“YS-X6-20121020-steadi-Enc.arm”), although I believe that just the Steadicam firmware is required.

If I power down the AP and then power it up again, then the Manual and Real Servo data seems correct again and I can fly (but with no gimbal servos helping to keep the camera in place). When I try to go through the Stedicam alignment process though it all goes wrong.

Do you have any advice on how to proceed?

Regards
Julian

socratic

Hi Everyone

I seem to be having some serious problems with my setup and hope you can advise me. I have been trying to calibrate the Steadicam component of the Stedi470 and this seems to be causing problems with everything else. Here is the scenario:

1. I run through the full YS-X6 calibration as per the Quickstart Guide and can control the UAV and fly OK;
  2. If at this stage press ‘Stedicam Alignment’ then the Stedicam gimbal runs right to back of the frame (i.e. camera forward and battery back) instead of maintaining the vertical alignment. I cannot get beyond this to Capture Roll and Pitch;
  3. I check the Manual Servo and Real Servo data and these seem to be quite worryingly different particularly for the Elevator and Aileron. In E and A the neutral positions of the Tx ‘stick’ show as ‘MP’ for the Manual Servo Data but show as (A) R10 and (E) Pull7 in the Real Servo Data.

At this stage I notice that the motors to not respond correctly to E and A commands from the Tx. I suspect that the difference between Manual and Real Servo Data is where my problem lies, but I do not know how to correct it.

I’ve tried reloading the firmware with no success. The firmware upload that I follow is YS-X6 firmware (20121114 replacement firmware “YS-X6-FW.arm”) first followed by Stedicam firmware (“YS-X6-20121020-steadi-Enc.arm”), although I believe that just the Steadicam firmware is required.

If I power down the AP and then power it up again, then the Manual and Real Servo data seems correct again and I can fly (but with no gimbal servos helping to keep the camera in place). When I try to go through the Stedicam alignment process though it all goes wrong.

Do you have any advice on how to proceed?

Regards
Julian

I had the exact problem with my gimbal slapping back hard upon power up. I believe it was due to loading the wrong firmware. Can you tell me the file size of the firmware you uploaded to the FC? There is a difference of about 20 kb between the YS-X6 and the Steadicam470 firmware. That is the only way I know how to tell them apart. However, I must say, that even since loading the current correct firmware, I am still having difficulties getting my gimbal to behave properly. I am actually trying to troubleshoot the gimbal right now. Maybe we can both work through the issues. Jim

drjlsmit

Photogrammetrist
I had the exact problem with my gimbal slapping back hard upon power up. I believe it was due to loading the wrong firmware. Can you tell me the file size of the firmware you uploaded to the FC? There is a difference of about 20 kb between the YS-X6 and the Steadicam470 firmware. That is the only way I know how to tell them apart. However, I must say, that even since loading the current correct firmware, I am still having difficulties getting my gimbal to behave properly. I am actually trying to troubleshoot the gimbal right now. Maybe we can both work through the issues. Jim

That's precisely the case. The gimbal seems to slap against the back (and sometime seems to "do the rounds" of the whole frame as well). The firmware I loaded is "YS-X6-20121020-steadi-Enc.arm" whch is 191KB in size).

Which firmware are you running and does it have to correspond to the 'release' of the Android App to control things?

Regards
Julian

socratic

I was going to send you to Rob's site http://multirotor.co.za/?page_id=964 to get the firmware but I didn't see it there. I thought he posted it. In any case, if you give me your email, I will attach what I am using and send it to you. The version I have is only 171 kb -- where did you download from? Perhaps yours is a newer file? However the version I have is dated 20121128. Very confusing. I looked on the Zero website, but I don't know where they keep Steadi stuff! Jim

socratic

On rechecking the firmware, I found the file from Peter (support guy at Zero) and it does have a date of 10/20 and is 191 kb. So you might want to try clearing out all old firmware and just reloading. Be sure you get a message that says everything loaded correctly. Let me know if that helps.

johnno

That's precisely the case. The gimbal seems to slap against the back (and sometime seems to "do the rounds" of the whole frame as well). The firmware I loaded is "YS-X6-20121020-steadi-Enc.arm" whch is 191KB in size).

Which firmware are you running and does it have to correspond to the 'release' of the Android App to control things?

Regards
Julian

hi Julian and Jim same or similar boat here one thing different I haven't loaded the firmware update yet , Julian you said that the motors didn't respond correctly did they respond at all? Cause mine don't, also the 2 knobs on the tx LH & RH don't respond, I have to power off at this stage because everything is hard up one end, then when you power up again everthing operates OK, I am very confused.......John.

socratic

hi Julian and Jim same or similar boat here one thing different I haven't loaded the firmware update yet , Julian you said that the motors didn't respond correctly did they respond at all? Cause mine don't, also the 2 knobs on the tx LH & RH don't respond, I have to power off at this stage because everything is hard up one end, then when you power up again everthing operates OK, I am very confused.......John.

Hi Johnno, My roll control for the gimbal doesn't work anymore but I still have the tilt working okay. Can't figure out why it stopped working. As for the slamming around of the gimbal - I still get some of that once in a while but not every time I power up - it seems to correct itself by slowly going vertical. I found that I need to actually exit the GCS and power off the quad before it releases from Mode 6 (or setup?). No matter what I do otherwise - reset to mode 2, leave the settings screen etc, doesn't effect the gimbal and the servos seem stuck in align mode. At this point, everything appears to be working (except roll control) and I plan on testing everything probably tomorrow weather permitting. I will be sure to film the testing. Right now I have a weight where the camera mounts - I will have to see if I trust the quad enough before mounting the nex5. Maybe tomorrow...????

PhilippeN

Hello,
I only have the tilt on the left button, basically the roll do not need to be adjusted in flight, but tilt is important to film down or straight forward. The key is to have a perfect balance of the weight before calibrating, I just have a little backward movement when I start it then it goes center by itself in few second. I have ordered a remote shutter to start filming or take pictures. I can put it on one of the switch !
Tomorrow we are trying the X4 I will try to film it as well.
Have a good evening,
Philippe

johnno

Hi Johnno, My roll control for the gimbal doesn't work anymore but I still have the tilt working okay. Can't figure out why it stopped working. As for the slamming around of the gimbal - I still get some of that once in a while but not every time I power up - it seems to correct itself by slowly going vertical. I found that I need to actually exit the GCS and power off the quad before it releases from Mode 6 (or setup?). No matter what I do otherwise - reset to mode 2, leave the settings screen etc, doesn't effect the gimbal and the servos seem stuck in align mode. At this point, everything appears to be working (except roll control) and I plan on testing everything probably tomorrow weather permitting. I will be sure to film the testing. Right now I have a weight where the camera mounts - I will have to see if I trust the quad enough before mounting the nex5. Maybe tomorrow...????

jim best of luck it's 06.45 here now clear blue sky and no wind ideal but steadi just not ready......John.

socratic

Hello,
I only have the tilt on the left button, basically the roll do not need to be adjusted in flight, but tilt is important to film down or straight forward. The key is to have a perfect balance of the weight before calibrating, I just have a little backward movement when I start it then it goes center by itself in few second. I have ordered a remote shutter to start filming or take pictures. I can put it on one of the switch !
Tomorrow we are trying the X4 I will try to film it as well.
Have a good evening,
Philippe

Good to know about you also not having a roll control. I guess that is what we used to call in the software business - an undocumented feature! (Of course it would be nice if Zero took out the documentation that states that roll should be working!). In any case, I seem to be good to go - and even have Fail Safe programmed properly. Looking forward to a successful flight tomorrow. J

vespasian

Hello, I have trouble trying to install the GCS software on my Iphone 4. Does anybody know how to do it? Does the Iphone need to be jailbreaked in order to do so? Thanks for help.

socratic

Yes, I believe you will need to jailbreak the iphone in order to load "non apple approved software." One reason i bought an android tablet.

johnno

Yes Here to I have an IPhone and rather have that working as it should cause if it falls over after jailbreak then you have 2 problems and Tablets really are not that expensive. john.

drjlsmit

Photogrammetrist

Hi Jim, John and others

I've uplaoded the 'latest' 191kb firmware for the Steadi470 but it does not seem to make much difference.

I get the motors running and all works fine if I do not try to go through the Steadicam alignment exercise (but it's difficult to fly with the gimbal moving about all of the time with no servo control - I'm an inexperienced pilot and have had a few crashes already like this).

What I have now is that when I power up the servos the gimbal aligns quite well in the pitch direction but is a little (say 5-10 degrees) off-vertical in the roll direction. It's inconsistent though because at other times when powering up the servos (after pressing the Steadicam Align button in the GCS software, while the servo power is off) then the gimbal goes mad again and starts tracking the outside of the frame extents.

It also seems to me that the Pitch and Roll sensiticity parameters are playing some part in this. When I set them both to low values (5 in my test case) then the I get more-or-less vertical alignment. I then gradually take up the pitch sensitivity to a value of 40 and all seems OK. I can also set the Pitch Extents like this and the Pitch servo seems to be doing it's job. The Roll servo is another matter though. If I increase the Roll sensitivity past about 15 then the gimbal starts slapping the frame again.

Keeping low Roll sensitivity is an option (in order to maintain Pitch servo control) but then the gimbal tracks around in the roll direction durign flight makign the Multirotor unstable.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Thanks
Julian

socratic

Hi Jim, John and others

I've uplaoded the 'latest' 191kb firmware for the Steadi470 but it does not seem to make much difference.

I get the motors running and all works fine if I do not try to go through the Steadicam alignment exercise (but it's difficult to fly with the gimbal moving about all of the time with no servo control - I'm an inexperienced pilot and have had a few crashes already like this).

What I have now is that when I power up the servos the gimbal aligns quite well in the pitch direction but is a little (say 5-10 degrees) off-vertical in the roll direction. It's inconsistent though because at other times when powering up the servos (after pressing the Steadicam Align button in the GCS software, while the servo power is off) then the gimbal goes mad again and starts tracking the outside of the frame extents.

It also seems to me that the Pitch and Roll sensiticity parameters are playing some part in this. When I set them both to low values (5 in my test case) then the I get more-or-less vertical alignment. I then gradually take up the pitch sensitivity to a value of 40 and all seems OK. I can also set the Pitch Extents like this and the Pitch servo seems to be doing it's job. The Roll servo is another matter though. If I increase the Roll sensitivity past about 15 then the gimbal starts slapping the frame again.

Keeping low Roll sensitivity is an option (in order to maintain Pitch servo control) but then the gimbal tracks around in the roll direction durign flight makign the Multirotor unstable.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Thanks
Julian

Just to be sure, you are setting "mode" to 6 and sending it to FC before aligning gimbal? Once you have aligned gimbal you are changing it back to 2 and sending it? Then power down everything and restart?

Just came back from my test flight. All was going sort of okay until the quad just fell out of the sky!!!! Not sure if the super cold was the cause or something else. I will put up the video later.....hard to see as I was filming with a gopro on my head. I believe there is a file somewhere that logs the data - anyone know how to access it? I sure would like to know what caused the failure. Pretty much totalled quad :(

drjlsmit

Photogrammetrist
Just to be sure, you are setting "mode" to 6 and sending it to FC before aligning gimbal? Once you have aligned gimbal you are changing it back to 2 and sending it? Then power down everything and restart?

Just came back from my test flight. All was going sort of okay until the quad just fell out of the sky!!!! Not sure if the super cold was the cause or something else. I will put up the video later.....hard to see as I was filming with a gopro on my head. I believe there is a file somewhere that logs the data - anyone know how to access it? I sure would like to know what caused the failure. Pretty much totalled quad :(

Sorry to hear about your crash; that's really bad news.

As for the gimbal alignment, yes I have been setting the 'mode' to 6 before starting the alignment process, but it does not seem to make any difference to my problem.