Zero UAV Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors*

its the old one. Also noticed on my phone under wifi settings that it shows the up as 192.168.1.3 thought that was pretty weird as its set up to 192.168.1.1 on the router.

fredor

Further to my previous comment on deciding to go for the UAV YS-X6 I have to admit I am having second thoughts I downloaded the " Manual " and have to say I was not impressed when compared to the DJI Manual also there seems to be an extraordinary number of people having problems with the setup whereas once again the NAZA is fairly straightforward on the plus side the YS-X6 looks to be an excellent piece of equipment let down by very poor marketing and consequently will be avoided by a lot of potential customers , I realise I will not be popular as a critic on a forum that is dedicated to UAV but I believe it needs to be said

robone

Further to my previous comment on deciding to go for the UAV YS-X6 I have to admit I am having second thoughts I downloaded the " Manual " and have to say I was not impressed when compared to the DJI Manual also there seems to be an extraordinary number of people having problems with the setup whereas once again the NAZA is fairly straightforward on the plus side the YS-X6 looks to be an excellent piece of equipment let down by very poor marketing and consequently will be avoided by a lot of potential customers , I realise I will not be popular as a critic on a forum that is dedicated to UAV but I believe it needs to be said

I can understand peoples frustration. Most of the heartache comes from trying to connect to the system via the router. Out of all the systems I have sold, I have had to help about 10% of them to get the wifi setup working and this was always mainly due to them not having the right router. It has been mentioned before that a good cheap router is the TP-Link WR941ND and it works out the box. No need to change any settings so it is good for those that do not understand how to set up routers. But people still go off and buy whatever the local computer shop is selling or grab one from out of the cellar.

All other questions that I get are answered quite easily. And that is the support your retailer should be providing so, like everything, you only are hearing the problems from 10-20% of the people who are buying and who don't get the retailer support needed.

Rob

robone

its the old one. Also noticed on my phone under wifi settings that it shows the up as 192.168.1.3 thought that was pretty weird as its set up to 192.168.1.1 on the router.

Ryan

Your router allocates addresses from 192.168.1.2 - 254. your wifi module connects at 192.168.1.254

So, you are connected using your laptop and have you actually run the PC GCS and pressed "connect to wifi" and seen if any data is coming through.

If this does not work then go and buy a TP-Link router. We know they work and they cost around US$40.

Rob

Heres a short video showing trying to make the phone work. Might give you some ideas?
https://vimeo.com/58953436

I have tryed to connect using my laptop. I plugged the usb to YS into my comp. Plugged it into com3. selected com port, then open comm port connection.
It comes up with "failed to open com port"

What are the steps to connect the computer via wifi?

robone

Heres a short video showing trying to make the phone work. Might give you some ideas?
https://vimeo.com/58953436

I have tryed to connect using my laptop. I plugged the usb to YS into my comp. Plugged it into com3. selected com port, then open comm port connection.
It comes up with "failed to open com port"

What are the steps to connect the computer via wifi?

You can connect, using the computer, to the system by 2 methods.

1. Using the cable direct to Com 3
2. Using the router.

You are already connected to the router as you have been allocated a ip address, so the simple thing to do is get your GCS running and see if you have data streaming.

To connect to the system using your cable, you have to open your ports, which is obviously a problem at this stage, but lets not worry about it now, as this is a computer problem and lets rather see if your laptop is talking to your system via the router.

Edit: Just had a look at the video. The LED light should have come on and it should be flashing and depending on which version of FW you have it will come up with different colours, but the main thing is it should be flashing. Now I know that sometimes, on the older FW versions, if the LED light does not come on, you have to disconnect the battery and reconnect again.

Last edited by a moderator:

robone

Hi Ryan

I see on another forum that you said "So reflashed it with the latest firm wear, that worked."

So that means to do that you must have had your laptop talking to your system so your com port must be correct.

Where are you based. It may be worth getting someone who is close to you and has a YS-X6 to go through it with you.

Rob

fredor

Thank you for your comments Rob I have decided to give it a bit longer so I can get more info before I make a decision there is no doubt the system has a lot to offer

Hi Ryan

I see on another forum that you said "So reflashed it with the latest firm wear, that worked."

So that means to do that you must have had your laptop talking to your system so your com port must be correct.

Where are you based. It may be worth getting someone who is close to you and has a YS-X6 to go through it with you.

Rob

Yea i plugged it into comm1, flashed it with the new firmware and it worked. Said all the right things. Its confusing. Because i had it connected last week to my phone, then it just stopped working.
I dont know why its not connecting to the computer directly because i know the process is right.

Im based in wellington New Zealand. I dont think theres any one else near here that has YS.

I flashed it with "YS-X6-20121111-firmware-Enc.arm"
Is that the correct version?

nicwilke

Ryan. Im only a short swim away in Australia. If you want my spare WiFi module (old version) let me know and I'll send it (little far to throw accross the ditch).
Free of charge.

Dale UK

Hi Ryan

I'm at exactly the same stage as you here .... with the same connection issues .... I flashed mine with the X4 firmware a couple of days ago!! - but managed to re-flash with the "YS-X6-20121111-firmware-Enc.arm" - which is correct.

I'm now getting the continuous 3 red led flashes when the units powered up (for now on a 3s li-po).

I can get the blue led on the ZERO wifi unit to turn continuous blue via my Netgear DGN1000 router - but reading all the threads and info (
http://multirotor.co.za/?page_id=964 seems a good info source) I've ordered a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND router - which I'm hoping will put me in control !!

I also don't seem to make the ZERO wifi configuration program work (
SeanyConfig.exe). It loads fine, opens the comms port fine - then does nothing when I press the on-screen 'Apply' button? I read on multirotor.co.za the ZERO wifi led needs to be flashing RED before you can change it from ROUTER to PTP mode - but no where does it seem to say how you make it do that? I'm hoping the new router will allow me access to configure it.

Dale

Ryan. Im only a short swim away in Australia. If you want my spare WiFi module (old version) let me know and I'll send it (little far to throw accross the ditch).
Free of charge.

I wouldn't say no to at least testing a different unit.
Did you buy the new wifi unit?

nicwilke

Yes, probably arrives tomorrow or Friday. I got the new unit as my datalink stopped working, and I'm not doing long distance stuff, so will rely on the onboard router talking direct to the android. I find I'm getting over 100metre telemetry with the new unit (borrowed) so simplifying the setup.
Its so handy to have the android GCS. Last night, had some oscillations with my new props when I gave it a squirt of power, so just added to the anti-shake settings, and sent it to the YS. instantly fixed. Im not keen on full autonomous flight anymore, so I guess my 16pt waypoint version is a waste..

Dale UK

nic

did you manage to set up your wifi link without much hassle?

Any chance you could find the time to give a quick and understandable summary of how to actually make it work - including the equipment you use - routers/phones/pads etc?

There's so many conflicting opinions on YS-X6 wifi configurations and it seems only x1 rubbish you tube video ! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9FgLQhFIkTk#!

I have DJI Naza and Wookong-M, both very user friendly - aquired this YS-X6 for the technical challenge - which it's DEFINITELY living up to - even at stage 1 !!!

Dale UK

Dale UK

Whats the difference between router and ptp mode?

Ryan

Router is where you go from your mobile phone or tablet via a separate router unit (think of it as a 'booster, or interface) to talk to your YS-X6

PTP is where your mobile phone or tablet communicates directly with your YS-X6

Both of course via the little on-board zero wifi box :02.47-tranquillity:

....... well - that's the theory anyway LOL !!

Dale UK

Last edited by a moderator:

robone

Yea i plugged it into comm1, flashed it with the new firmware and it worked. Said all the right things. Its confusing. Because i had it connected last week to my phone, then it just stopped working.
I dont know why its not connecting to the computer directly because i know the process is right.

Im based in wellington New Zealand. I dont think theres any one else near here that has YS.

I flashed it with "YS-X6-20121111-firmware-Enc.arm"
Is that the correct version?

Hi Ryan

Mr. Westie on RCGroups is in Auckland. You should get hold of him and have a chat. He knows a lot about the YS-X6.

Cheers
Rob