The ALL New DJI S900 Hexacopter!

Tahoe Ed

Ed, are those price a reality?

The prerelease announcement that I received did not include pricing. My guess is that what the dealers posted is a true price. It is a truly amazing value with the bundles that the dealers are doing. S900, A2 and GH4 HD gimbal!

Tahoe Ed

This would be an absolute deciding factor between this and an S1000.

My planned build is the S900, A2 with Lightbridge, iOSD MK II, BMPCC HD Gimbal and camera. I am planning on using the Troy Built 15,000mAh 6S lipos. My S1000 with the same equipment and heavier lipo is at 21 points AUW. I am not sure if I can get down to 7kg. That is a big difference.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
With 15,000mah lipos you'll never get down to under 7kg.

It would be more like 6000mah to keep it under. Short flight times but you can fly in the city.

Dave_EP

With 15,000mah lipos you'll never get down to under 7kg.

It would be more like 6000mah to keep it under. Short flight times but you can fly in the city.

That was my thinking too. Shorter flight times are not that big a deal, as long as they're not 'too' short ;)

Quinton

Just doing a few calculations here.
DJI say that the flight time was with a 120000 mAh battery and a payload of 6.8KG

1260g Zenmuse
63g GCU
3300 for S900
1 Desire 6200 mAh Lipo is 883g so 2x is 1766g
BMPCC + lens 487g

Total weight would be 6876g and that is with 2 lipos, so there would certainly be some room to change that to a GH4 Zenmuse where the payload would be an additional 203g
2x 5200 mAh are 1472g

Not sure how DJI frames hold their batteries, is it one or 2?

...I take it that 3.3kg includes FC etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Looks like the a similar battery tray to the S800 so two will be fine.

Don't forget the weight of the electronics (FC) and camera with lens.

Quinton

Looks like the a similar battery tray to the S800 so two will be fine.

Don't forget the weight of the electronics (FC) and camera with lens.

That was with camera and lens, this is what I am trying to figure out, you are never too sure with DJI and marketing material, they said that their AUW for flight time was 6.8KG
Now did that INCLUDE a gimbal/camera, did the 3.3kg include the FC?

Sorry 487g for BMPCC and lens, which was in total weight of 6.8KG, I just didn't add it to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Don't base anything on the flying weight listed on the DJI marketing stuff, just add it up yourself.

Based on the stuff I know the weight of:

S900 3.3kg
Zenmuse gh2 1.3kg
GH2 (inc battery/sd) 489g
14mm lens 55g
2 x Gensace 5000mah lipos 1.6kg

Thats already 7.2kg without the electronics which I would imagine may come to about 200g (WKM+iOSD)?

So for me I would have to lose one lipo or find one that's 800g but a larger mah.

Then if you want to use a GH4/3 plus their zenmuses, which are heavier, you would be very tight on the weight issue.

Quinton

Don't base anything on the flying weight listed on the DJI marketing stuff, just add it up yourself.

Based on the stuff I know the weight of:

S900 3.3kg
Zenmuse gh2 1.3kg
GH2 (inc battery/sd) 489g
14mm lens 55g
2 x Gensace 5000mah lipos 1.6kg

Thats already 7.2kg without the electronics which I would imagine may come to about 200g (WKM+iOSD)?

So for me I would have to lose one lipo or find one that's 800g but a larger mah.

Then if you want to use a GH4/3 plus their zenmuses, which are heavier, you would be very tight on the weight issue.

Are you suggesting DJI would be economical with the truth, shame on you :)
Your figures are actually 6744g?

Benjamin Kenobi

Woohoo! :nevreness: That'll be the 55g lens which threw off my figures. So with the 200g electrics it's....6944g! Brilliant! I am currently at 6950g (S800/GH2) so I'll believe the weight when I've actually weighed everything, there's connectors and wiring which we need to add on but that's anyones guess how much they weigh.

I think the BMPCC/Zen would be the lightest setup.

Quinton

Woohoo! :nevreness: That'll be the 55g lens which threw off my figures. So with the 200g electrics it's....6944g! Brilliant! I am currently at 6950g (S800/GH2) so I'll believe the weight when I've actually weighed everything, there's connectors and wiring which we need to add on but that's anyones guess how much they weigh.

I think the BMPCC/Zen would be the lightest setup.

I actually have a Cortex here with an A2 already in it @3KG (and thats 8 motors)
The retractable legs though are a bit crap with the A2

Quinton

Actually this calls for a new thread, the "true" weight of anything MR wise, so we can truely work out things without having to rely on companies suggested weights.
Gimbals / cameras / flight controllers / batteries / ESCs / ND Filters / lenses etc...

Benjamin Kenobi

Great idea! I weigh all my stuff and stick it in a notebook so maybe we can all share our setups. I am pretty certain I'm getting an S900 as it is what I've been looking for so I'll start weighing everything, literally!