The ALL New DJI S900 Hexacopter!

CG Photo

Don't trust the GPS. On some units the GPS will cut out at take off. Flip into Atti for takeoff and review the number of sats you have before flying off. If the GPS does go out, it will fly just fine in ATTI mode but you will lose the return to home functions and failsafe functions without GPS.

Takeoff is similar to Naza and works well. You need to be above 50% throttle for takeoff.

Tahoe Ed

In my opinion, if you loose GPS prior to takeoff or during flight, you need to land and figure out what is going on. Just my opinion but you can do what you want.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Totally agree. it should work all the time everytime. Except indoors of course.

Commercially in the UK it must be working to conduct a flight as failsafe is a requirement.

CG Photo

I so wish it would. I would rather be flying A2's in all my aircraft. At this point the only controller I can depend on is my Naza V2 and the WKM . Over 100 hours of flight time on the Naza and it has never lost GPS signal while flying outside. I have another A2 GPS puck I borrowed and will be trying that to see if it make any difference.

Ronan

My local dealer has sold a lot of A2's and has received zero back with issues. I think their's a lot of negative over-hype from the internet.

They told me if there's any issue with the A2, to return it for replacement/repair/etc right away.

I'll be testing it tomorrow (today was pouring outside!!!).

In my opinion, if you loose GPS prior to takeoff or during flight, you need to land and figure out what is going on. Just my opinion but you can do what you want.

Absolutely!

CG Photo

Here is a video on what mine is doing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftZvLAe6dcA&list=UUtsQBn8sezLXKHA2xYswdWQ

When I called DJI about it they said that is was the area I was flying and there is nothing wrong with it. If they were to take it in and it tested fine, then I would have to pay them a diagnostic fee to get it back. I refuse to pay for a bench test fee!

I tested a different puck today and the problem went away for the few flight I did. Then I swapped again with my old puck and the problem came back so I will be doing testing and see if I can establish that this is a problem with the one puck.

I can not believe that DJI demands $480 for just the GPS puck.

Tahoe Ed

I would contact your dealer for a replacement GPS puck.

Here is a video on what mine is doing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftZvLAe6dcA&list=UUtsQBn8sezLXKHA2xYswdWQ

When I called DJI about it they said that is was the area I was flying and there is nothing wrong with it. If they were to take it in and it tested fine, then I would have to pay them a diagnostic fee to get it back. I refuse to pay for a bench test fee!

I tested a different puck today and the problem went away for the few flight I did. Then I swapped again with my old puck and the problem came back so I will be doing testing and see if I can establish that this is a problem with the one puck.

I can not believe that DJI demands $480 for just the GPS puck.

CG Photo

I contacted the dealer I purchased it from, Robert at UAVproducts said they they don't replace defective items and that I needed to contact DJI. I tried that first before I called DJI.

Tahoe Ed

I contacted the dealer I purchased it from, Robert at UAVproducts said they they don't replace defective items and that I needed to contact DJI. I tried that first before I called DJI.

Robert is not fulfilling his responsibility as a dealer. I will forward to DJI. That is his role, unfortunately he appears not to want to do it.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Ronan,
Glad to hear that. Likewise I also hear from my DJI dealer that sold me the A2 that he has not had any bad issues with his clients concerning A2 reliability and I have had about 18 to 20 test flights to date with no issues..... hoping that trend continues indefinitely.

My local dealer has sold a lot of A2's and has received zero back with issues. I think their's a lot of negative over-hype from the internet.

They told me if there's any issue with the A2, to return it for replacement/repair/etc right away.

I'll be testing it tomorrow (today was pouring outside!!!).

Absolutely!

CG Photo

Robert is not fulfilling his responsibility as a dealer. I will forward to DJI. That is his role, unfortunately he appears not to want to do it.

The is a copy of the email I received from him. I don't want to get anyone in trouble but my A2 clearly has a GPS lock problem. It is intermittent and sometimes I can go 20 flights with no problem and then 5 flights in a row it will fail every time. Now that I am seeing the problem more at take off I have been doing a series of tests just doing touch and go landings and I can make it happen fairly quickly. The other A2 I purchased has not been installed but when I use that puck it has not failed yet.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to fly with the controller on the ground with video camera in the way and with no GPS? :)

From: Robert@UAVProducts.com [mailto:Robert@UAVProducts.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:44 AM
To: Chris Geiger
Subject: Re: A2 Controller GPS

Chris,

How often does this happen?
It is possible that its just a solar flare time that is causing this?
If not, then your fastest return is to contact DJI in LA and go the warranty route.
After-sale Service Policies | DJI

rotorvista

The AS150 connectors I have are solid I would never go back to EC5's not for 6S usage obviously DJI are using poor quality connectors

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I went for EC5's. Why wouldn't I? They are perfect for what we are using them for and very over-rated for the type of current we are likely to be pulling. I think they are rated for 120A continuous, way more than my S900 is going to pull, even when peaking!

rotorvista

They are far from perfect EC5's spark like hell and wear out. The female tubes are too thin. I would never use them again with 6S but each to their own.