XAircraft SuperX - Taranis - X8R

mediaguru

This is exactly how it happened for me. I monkeyed with it forever - same attempt as you. Nothing worked. Then it suddenly did. It worked fine for about 4 flights and then same beeps. I decided I didn't want to risk it. Not worth the damn thing deciding it wanted to not recognize at an inoperative moment.

Yes I'll be keeping a close eye and running it through tests for sure. Still have those six ESC's sitting here waiting in case they are needed.

dazzab

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I do remember having a similar issue as well. I'm too lazy to read back through this thread but I'm sure I saw someone else say that they did the same thing I did to get around the issue. It had to do with setting the throw of the throttle channel on the Tx to a negative number while doing calibration and then setting it back to normal when flying. That's not a very good explanation so hopefully someone else can explain it better. But it appears to me that zero throttle on the Taranis isn't actually zero and that becomes an issue when trying to calibrate ESCs.

mediaguru

Another user on that thread I referred to said he got his working by doing his throttle cal at -97 to +97, then putting the throttle back to -100/+100 when the FC is attached.

mediaguru

Okay moving forward! I had the wife hold the hex for me while I tried my first props-on tests. That's so the damn thing didn't fly away. It was a really good idea to do that, as my throttle calibration must be messed up. After arming, nudging the throttle up a tiny bit sent the motors into mega power. Damn near lifted my wife off the ground.

I watched the XAircraft instructional video here and there are a couple of issues I think I don't have done right. First they mention "reversing" 1234 channels. My Taranis does not have "reverse" but does have "invert." I'm assuming that is the same?

Also, the video shows in RC reverse throttle calibration that you first move the throttle to the full up position, THEN move the sticks to the upper right. But the manual does not have the first step, putting the throttle at full.

So I'm guessing I need to INV my channels 1234, then to my RC stick calibrations over again. Thoughs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Do the stick cal should take care of the inverting/reversing. Obviously if the throttle was pushed up and you got power to the motors - it's headed in the right direction. If it was reversed - you'd have had full throttle when it's supposed to be off - and probably wouldn't arm.

mediaguru

Communicated with Drew at XAircraft yesterday and this morning via email. He looked at my logs and is providing help. He sent me an eepe file to use for the proper Taranis setup, and also told me to ditch my voltage regulator and hook the SuperX directly to the PDB. That's the current plan.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Communicated with Drew at XAircraft yesterday and this morning via email. He looked at my logs and is providing help. He sent me an eepe file to use for the proper Taranis setup, and also told me to ditch my voltage regulator and hook the SuperX directly to the PDB. That's the current plan.

I'd love to take a look at the eepe file when you get it. Maybe you can post it here???

mediaguru

Here you go. They have settings/channels in the eepe file for their gimbal also.

Attachments

• SuperX-Stella.eepe.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 373

mediaguru

Thanks so much. I think my setup is pretty solid (no gimbal), but it's always good to see others for comparison.

No problem. One other thing Drew told me was to move to OpenTX Companion, instead of Companion9X. Both work on the mac. OpenTX Companion looks much nicer.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
No problem. One other thing Drew told me was to move to OpenTX Companion, instead of Companion9X. Both work on the mac. OpenTX Companion looks much nicer.

I tried briefly the other day to install openTX, but was unable to get it to install on the Mac. I had a bit of an issue when first installing companion, but eventually it worked. I'd love to keep trying on the Mac - but might have to give in and try the Windows laptop I have.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for the links. I thinking had found that too. I'm having no luck on my desktop running 10.7.5. I thought I had read about issues - but that was a week ago and I now can't recall the specifics. I'm either too new, or too old. I recall there being issues with the latest release.

Which version OS are you running?

i just loaded and started it on my PC no sweat. Need to read up on reflashing the radio before I begin messing around.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Congratulations! That's a brave woman!!! I thought you were going to have a Marilynn Monroe moment there for a second :)