XAircraft SuperX - Taranis - X8R

mediaguru

No update. I'm traveling for a week and my 960 is not with me... :upset:

It is driving me nuts. Hope to get the rest hammered out this weekend.

mediaguru

Okay I'm getting very pissed and hoping I can get some help here. I'm having a real problem getting from the ESC calibration stage to being able to have all motors arm. Here's what's going on.

I've calibrated the taranis, and several times just in case. I throttle calibrated the ESCs one at a time. After doing all that I hooked up the SuperX. 5 of the 6 motors acted as they should. I could arm them and fire them up! Motor #1 though, just beeped fast. In the manual to the ESC it says that beeping at .25 second intervals means the throttle stick is not in the lowest position.

I interpreted that to be that the calibration was off, so I calibrated them all again. The next time all six motors would not arm or fire up, they would beep at .25 second intervals.

The 3rd time 2 of the 6 worked, would arm and fire up while the other four beeped at .25 second intervals.

The final time (ready to punch the wall) I decided I'd calibrate one motor and then see if it would fire up via the SuperX. I calibrated motor #1 no problem. Hooked motor #1 up to the SuperX and it just beeps at .25 second intervals.

I've tried adjusting the trim and that didn't do anything.

It seems like adding the SuperX to the equation is causing the ESC's to not think the throttle is at the lowest position.

I'm using SBUS. I'm considering using the individual channels instead.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

mediaguru

I answered this in the other thread so I'll point you there so it's consolidated.

believe me, I feel your pain...

Based on the fact that the FC seems to be the monkey wrench, I started going through the SuperX manual again. Looks like I probably need to do an RC Neutral Point calibration perhaps? I'll try that this evening and post what happens.

skquad

Based on the fact that the FC seems to be the monkey wrench, I started going through the SuperX manual again. Looks like I probably need to do an RC Neutral Point calibration perhaps? I'll try that this evening and post what happens.
Definitely. neutral and reverse calibration is a must - do step. This let's the fc know what your end points are.

Sent from my phone. Located wherever i am.

mediaguru

Definitely. neutral and reverse calibration is a must - do step. This let's the fc know what your end points are.

Sent from my phone. Located wherever i am.

I've calibrated the Taranis a few times just in case, and center calibrated the sticks with the FC. What is REVERSE calibration?

I heard back from Hobby Wing by the way. They told me my ESCs ARE compatible with the superX.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
He's talking about the superx stick calibration. You can follow the instructions in the manual.

Glad as that the hobby wing work with the superx. Just not the other way around :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Still not sure what reverse calibration is, and if I need to do it!

Look in the manual - the third mention of a calibration shows how to do it. It just involves doing the flight mode switch dance quickly to enter calibration mode - and then putting the sticks in a couple positions. Then reposed and you're all set.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 335

mediaguru

I attempted to do the reverse calibration 4-5 times yesterday. I could get the FC in calibration mode, but it would never register when I moved the sticks to the upper right. Also I seem to have changed something and my throttle on my Taranis does not tell me "trim center" when I'm centered. It just tells me whether it is maximum trim in either direction. Wonder if I have something setup improperly there.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I attempted to do the reverse calibration 4-5 times yesterday. I could get the FC in calibration mode, but it would never register when I moved the sticks to the upper right. Also I seem to have changed something and my throttle on my Taranis does not tell me "trim center" when I'm centered. It just tells me whether it is maximum trim in either direction. Wonder if I have something setup improperly there.

Check it in the companion software. You should be able to see what's happening in there.

mediaguru

Check it in the companion software. You should be able to see what's happening in there.

I've had problems getting the companion to talk to the TX. I'll try it again.

I also just had a nightmare go through my head while sitting here at work. If I have the safemode switch turned to ON, will that cause me to not be able to arm or calibrate the FC? Maybe its something as dumb as that.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
If I have the safemode switch turned to ON, will that cause me to not be able to arm or calibrate the FC? Maybe its something as dumb as that.

Most definitely! I believe you have a Taranis, if your switches are not all off your radio won't 'arm'

X

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners

You need to calibrate your radio first.... see Taranis manual, then you need to calibrate the radio to the FC see pics. Then you can get onto the other things.

X

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 244
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 219

mediaguru

You need to calibrate your radio first.... see Taranis manual, then you need to calibrate the radio to the FC see pics. Then you can get onto the other things.

X

I've calibrated the radio about 10 times, calibrated the esc's 10 times, done stick calibration 10 times, reverse calibration 10 times.

Best I can get is 3 of the 6 motors arm. The other three beep indicating throttle is not at lowest position. I've tried reversing the channels, changing the weight, inverting the channels...

Driving me nuts.

At some points I've powered the bird up and gotten one motor to arm. Then without changing anything, powered it up and two motors would arm. Right now I'm at 3.

Motopreserve, sound like what you had? I've got a pile of 6 new ESC's here waiting to be installed. Just hoping to exhaust the other options first.

mediaguru

I can't believe this. It appears I may have solved this problem, just before I cut off my old Hobby Wing 40A pro ESCs and spent an entire weekend soldering on new ones.

The fast beeping of these ESC's indicated that on startup the throttle position was not low enough. The Taranis as far as I can tell has a range from -100 to +100. I tried to trim it past -100, and even set offsets and whatever else (had no idea what I was doing).

Then in another forum I found some discussion about the Taranis and the SuperX. Some users found that they had to invert their channels. This was not the case for me. I tried it, recal'd bla bla bla...

Right as I started to peel off the heat shrink on my first ESC wire to start removing from my 960, I decided to click on a "random" page. On page 187 of that thread a user said he had problems with a couple of motors which "randomly" decided not to arm, and beeped fast. This was what was happening to me. Once I was able to arm 5 motors, then 3, then 2, then 3, then 2... All without changing anything.

His solution was to set his throttle range at -90 to +100, then calibrate the ESC throttle range with that. Then he put the -90 back to -100 when hooked up to the SuperX.

BINGO. That worked for me. I've now successfully armed ALL F'ING SIX MOTORS several times.

THRILLED!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This is exactly how it happened for me. I monkeyed with it forever - same attempt as you. Nothing worked. Then it suddenly did. It worked fine for about 4 flights and then same beeps. I decided I didn't want to risk it. Not worth the damn thing deciding it wanted to not recognize at an inoperative moment.