Photohigher skyline rsgs

danje

Our 2 cents regarding the tilt jitter:

We are also struggling with this - we continue to have minimal jitter on tilt. It's so faint that we can't see it with the bare eye, but it obviously shows in the footage.
We tried everything from mechanical to software adjustments, driving us nuts for weeks. This was us using a 650D and a GH2.

We then tried a Hero3 and to our amazement, the jitter was gone. Our conclusion so far is that it's a VERY delicate mix of balance and weight and impeccable overall setup
that makes the system work perfectly... nothing new per se, but I guess it again stresses the importance of a clean setup.

We will try adding weight to one site of the gimble to get perfect roll balance when the DSLR is onboard - would be interesting to see how/if that affects the tilt.

Cheers.

vinnygogo

The better the gimbal is balanced, the less stress there will be on the servo's which lead to faster response and more power from the servo's I use 3 av200 and 1 av130 with about a dozen d camera's from gopro, to gh3, to big Nikon dslr to red epic with different lenses, I always managed to (nearly) perfectly balance the camera in all directions.

Macsgrafs

Thank you Dave. :)

@Macsgrafts.
If you don't like RSGS, sell it and buy a radian!
I can't understand why you continue to put bad words on it...
bah

I was shown by PH that the RSGS held the horizon level in its sales video...yet it does NOT! So am I to sit quiet or tell the truth? I have a right to complain if I get goods NOT of merchantable quality & poor support..that is MY right & I claim it.
If you bought something that was supposed to work & it didn't..you telling me you would just sell it on to someone else, who would also buy it from you in good faith...that makes YOU part of the problem of whats wrong with so many societys...silence is consent, if I remain silent, then it means I am happy & agree with PH video. Try using some sort of intelligence here my Italian friend!

I won't matter if he buys a Raidan, hoverfly or some other system, the outcome will still be the same. No system will give 100% performance 100% of the time. I think that is what alot of people expect.
With every system it is teamwork that gets the job done. Pilot flys smooth and clean, aircraft in perfect condition and properly balanced, gimbal set correctly and cameraman smoothly operating the camera and correcting for any drift that does occur. If any one of those items isn't working properly then it will show in the footage.

Thats true apart from..RSGS holds fine for 2 mins or so, put it up & it starts to roll, no amount of transmitter stick can correct it...it keeps on getting further & further from neutral.
There is also the far superior & cheaper solution...direct drive gimbals.

PH should offer refund for their false product and advertising... Enough time is spent trying to make it work, so now lets spend some more time on selling it (for less than what we payed for)...

EXACTLY.

Why Ph will refund you?
........I'm pretty sure that your Skyline is working..... With 1.7b version and an accurate XYZ level setting, I suppose that almost all skyline unit will do their job...

Mine has had many problem with roll drifting.... I have done several times calibration with phisical bubble leveller.. the result in my case was really crappy..
After, I've try with my Iphone, (calibrating it before on a perfect orizontal surface on x and y axis). the app has a clearance of 0,1°...
well, if i made an error of 0,5° between level XY and autotune, the roll will drift!!
with an error of 0,1° skyline works pretty good...

So what about us who dont have mobile phones...a spirit level (bubble) is not good enough? Why isn't this stated on PH website?

Ross

vinnygogo

You absolutely have the right to complain, but just do it once and get over it. If you don't like it, sell it and buy something different, and maybe you don't like that either.

Just tell people your experiences once, but stop bugging us with these annoying comments all over again, making it very hard to follow the story.

@vinnygogo: Macsgrafs comments in some way balance the increasing PH rep/pal/seller/wannabes posts on this thread. The only story I have seen (time and time again) is the reps spending a LOT of time editing videos to convince us the new beta firmware is going to solve everything and it never does. They seem quiet now - I suspect they are fitting their new, free gimbals ready for the next onslaught. Lets see if they miraculously have the new PH latest-and-greatest when they come back ;-).

Macsgrafs

You absolutely have the right to complain, but just do it once and get over it. If you don't like it, sell it and buy something different, and maybe you don't like that either.

Just tell people your experiences once, but stop bugging us with these annoying comments all over again, making it very hard to follow the story.

Since you are so intent that I sell it...you buy the useless thing from me, come on my friend...put your money where your mouth is!

Then I can get one of these http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=201&cat=Brushless+Gimbal
Which I'm sure ALL the guys who use thier MR's for pro use will turn to...even YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeH

@vinnygogo: Macsgrafs comments in some way balance the increasing PH rep/pal/seller/wannabes posts on this thread. The only story I have seen (time and time again) is the reps spending a LOT of time editing videos to convince us the new beta firmware is going to solve everything and it never does. They seem quiet now - I suspect they are fitting their new, free gimbals ready for the next onslaught. Lets see if they miraculously have the new PH latest-and-greatest when they come back ;-).

Somehow i think you will find that the videos you are seeing is the product of time spent perfecting the machine. Personally my brother and i flew over 30 flights in one day simply tuning the gimbal. There is no trick editing or such involved.
I'm not a rep/seller/wannabe yet i just handed over a days worth of rough cut freestyle BMX footage to redbull that req'd No post Stabilisation at all. Why? Because i have invested the time in tuning and, yes, problem solving. I try and help people to get there gimbal operating in the same manner. The problem is the skyline is generally the first item that takes the blame. Reality is it can easily be the camera, gimbal, airframe or even pilot that is the cause.

SMP

Mike, no doubt you are right, time and tuning. That said, the skyline seems to be a two steps forward one back process. We've also spent over thirty flights getting close only to solve one problem and another materialize. The constant leveling changes out of nowhere are a source of frustration and the start of yet another thirty flights. I can appreciate that you have gotten where you need to be, as have many others I am sure, but for those of us on this thread who own a fairly substantial investment (we actually own two of the bloody things AV200/360, both of which exhibit completely different characteristics) the simple truth is it's not where it needs to be and this is a direct barrier to a return on our investment not only for the gimbal but for our aerial business as a whole.

So while I agree with you Macgrafs has made his point (over and over again) the reality is we're still holding the bag and hoping, praying really at this point, we can recover a fraction of our costs. Yes we do realize it's not a cine, nor a zen but it definitely is much more than a plate with two servos on it and has been marketed as such. The manual is a reasonable request, software which doesn't reset itself is a reasonable request. I'm genuinely hoping we see the release of both soon.

flyonix

Flyonix
We had big problems with our gimbal, it had a massive yaw on the roll, bug servo jitters etc we were pulling our hair out!! We have spent days and days trying to get our skyline right, ringing photohigher in the middle of the night, trying latest firmware etc, reverting back to old firmware....

We finnally found the problems,

number 1: we found that the bearing that holds the tilt cog in place was sloppy and hence when there was a payload on the try it would pull the skyline out of level ( as it is attached to the cog via a shaft), so what we did was mount the skyline on the other side, and it got us one step closer to a better gimbal...

number 2:in the photohigher software, when you level the x any y axis, dont use the tray as a definite level...... take your x y and z from the actual skyline, (make sure it is perfectly level)

number 3: do not use auto tune!, we found that taking off the belts and cogs to make the servo run free and then using manual tune to stop the servos moving (making sure the skyline is level at all times during tuning) AND Making sure the gains are at 0 before trying to tune the servo centers!!!...

we then found our gains to be around 150-300 between pitch roll and pan... and we didnt use integral gain..

Hope this helps somebody... as it has been a nightmare for us, message me if you need any more advice...

p.s. we have a photohigher V1 rsgs and an av200 with 360 kit,

p.s.s we also have another v1 rsgs which is set up exactly the same but when we get an uncontrollable tilt when ever we put any gain on it, hence i think it is nackered....

danje

We haven't been hearing from PH for a while now. What's the status on the new 1.7 FW and the new manual?? Anyone have any info on that?

Tuukkuli

Tried the Skyline with 1.7b today. Some notes on tuning:

- Did the manual Center Tune thing with gains at 0 for all axis with servos detached from tilt belt and roll/pan teeth. Transmitter was on and all the trims and sub trims were at 0 naturally. Sticks centered. Tuned until rotation stopped.
- Did the XY setting and Z setting. Placed spirit level on tray and levelled the tray as precisely as possible
- Saved to flash. Took the programming cable out. Booted Skyline.
- The result was that both tilt and roll were maybe 20 degrees off. As mentioned above, tilt which is on channel 3 (throttle) and it was centered when I did the Center Tune and XYZ but now it was badly off center with the throttle stick centered. Roll was also off so that the right hand side of the tray looking from behind was clearly higher than the left hand side. Roll input was not connected to the receiver. The Skyline has been installed correctly and lined as well as possible with the tray. Skyline hardware version 1.2.
- Tried re-levelling two or three times with the same result. Roll and tilt were off despite setting XYZ precisely with a spirit level.
- Compensated the roll off-level with leaving the roll not level (left side of the tray higher when looked from behind) when setting XY. After two or three attempts I got it right. The roll was level after re-boot. Did not bother to do the same with tilt as it was possible to compensate the off position with stick input. Tilt was way off until the very last XYZ setting.
- Dialled in the recommended gains on the 1.2.2 manual and started to fly. Roll seems to be holding the horizon level pretty good when panning and the pan stabilisation seems to work quite well. However there is visible jitter on the tilt and roll and pan regardless of the fact that the camera has been balanced on the tray as well as possible. Note that the camera is Sony CX-730 with optical stabilisation and the stabilisation is on.

Conclusion: I am getting the hang of setup little by little thanks to this forum and spending insane amounts of time reading posts and trial and error. But WHAT THE HECK is this roll and tilt being off level with correct XYZ setting? And once again, it would be so unbelievably cool if we end users were spoiled with a step by step tuning manual from Photohigher. I would so much to like/brag this product because Photohigher has been great with hardware support at least in my case but at least yet I can´t.

The result can be seen here:

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Very frustrated at the moment. Gimbal #2 with ZERO flights on it just froze itself, could not update, locked up red error conditions and after 3 hours of searching for an answer finally got it unlocked only to be unresponsive to any tuning. The skyline is now on its way back to dealer. The worst part is the gimbal is being returned as well due to a ridiculously tight pinch in the roll teething ring. The other gimbal has some tight spots and its notchy but with some filing and tweaking we got it to marginally acceptable. This is unacceptable for a gimbal at this price point. The quality control is simply not there. The firmware is unstable. The resources from the manufacture are dismal at best, limited manual, links to dead pages etc. This is now impacting my business. I'm starting to see Macgrafs point! I'm going to phase out of this product. I will sell one then the other as I get a replacement. Please pm if interested.

I'm
Presently running the 1.2.2 FW
I read here that some guys are using the 1.7
Which is the latest? I checked in PH website and and it says 1.2.2
Where are you guys getting the latest firmware... Btw whats is the latest version?

iconflyer

Thanks!
I tried it today and I didn't really feel much difference...to be fair all were ground tests. 1.2.2 has been ok except for PAN(could never to set the center so it stays still(I have the AV200 with 360 kit and skids so the my MR always rotates when on the ground). The only annoying thing with this version is the fact that everytime I try to touch the gains it says "disconnected" and "connection failed" when I try to reconnect...I have to restart the skyline everytime this happens.

Also and I apologize if this was answered before, what exactly does auto-tune do? I'm getting pretty stable return to level and really good roll performance although tilt is either too slow when the gains are in the 90-150 rainge or too jittery when I turn up the gains to speed up the reaction.