Photohigher skyline rsgs

How do I remove potentiometers from AV130 when I installed Skyline?

Good morning CS8,

unplug the potentiometer, then unscrew it.

The roll pot have a big nut inside the gimbal, the tilt one have a small screw on the tilt shaft.
Have a look at the video I have made:

Last edited by a moderator:

cs8

1001 Copters, thanks for the help.

I'm fine tuning my Skyline now. I noticed a jitter in the tilt axis and I read this is the software problem? So I hope they find a solution soon.

Another thing would be if I pan the copter, roll is moving. Even If I do it slowly. Any solutions to that?

HeinzABF

@ PhotoHigher OM

Hi Heinz,

The USB cable is a simple TTL-RS232 converter. It works on my Windows XP and on my colleagues Windows 7. He designed the software on Windows 7 and as a result, the user interface looks better. In terms of functionality, it works the same on both our PC (XP and 7).

If your cable is faulty, can you check the servo plug on it? Maybe it's not the PC but rather the cable being intermittent. The cables are pretty common and cheap, we can send you another one if your cable is faulty.

I have tested now also on a Windows XP PC. Same reaction as on Win 7 PC´s.

So i don´t understand anything.

My college Multihexa has testet the whole Skyline. On 1 PC everything is working, on other PC´s and Laptops not.

I have no PC or Laptop where the Skyline is working. Always getting in green: Com Port open, but thats it.

So what else can i try to get the system working???????????????????

All these PC´s and Laptops are working together with the MK-USB, no problems.

Is it possible, that there are some issues in the cable harness or the USB cable and how can i test this?

Heinz

@ PhotoHigher OM
I have tested now also on a Windows XP PC. Same reaction as on Win 7 PC´s.
So i don´t understand anything.
My college Multihexa has testet the whole Skyline. On 1 PC everything is working, on other PC´s and Laptops not.
I have no PC or Laptop where the Skyline is working. Always getting in green: Com Port open, but thats it.
So what else can i try to get the system working???????????????????
All these PC´s and Laptops are working together with the MK-USB, no problems.
Is it possible, that there are some issues in the cable harness or the USB cable and how can i test this?
Heinz

Hi Heinz,
yes it's possile that the USB cable can be faulty as Photohigher stated in his message. Anyway, I have requested a newcable from photohigher and it should arrive next week. I will send it to you as sonn as I receive it.

Best regards,
Cédric

ZAxis

hello,

did anybody of you have a problem like this:
http://youtu.be/ZdshQg3F_ug?hd=1
??
Only with camera, without (or with a gopro) everything is fine.
I power the Skyline with a BEC 6V 5A on a AV130 with Savöx servos.
Changing the settings did't help...

What happens if the camera is fixed directly to the platform rather than on the vibration isolation pads ?

The gel may prevent the movement of the mass of the camera being correctly interpreted by the Skyline.

andy

cs8

Had the same issue during testing today. Reduce tilt gains, it helped me. But I still don't have smooth tilt stabilization. Roll is doing way better.

cs8

Maybe you can try to setup the Skyline from the begining. Did you try to reduce tilt gains almost to zero?

In the manual it's written to augment the tilt (or orll) velocity gain to avoid this kind of problem.

the tilt/roll velocity gain is a dampening function. In fact what happen there ? a small vibration is incoming inside the skyline, the skyline interpret it as a movment ? it try to compensate and here starts the loop :)

so augment the tilt velocity gain.

You can also do something on the mounting of the skyline: take a servo wheel, place some gel on it and mount the skyline on it. Use a longer screw. this small dampening system will help you I think ;)

This is all great , but what happens if the photohigher does not solve these problems with jittering !
I do not think that they will be willing to give the money back to the people who bought the skyline ( although I know they will do their best to resolve it )
I am ready to buy av 130 and skyline , and probably I will but there is the question what if ..........
I would like to hear photohigher here with their answer to my question !

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
As I play with the skyline I see a potential issue that may occur over time. When you tilt down 90 deg, as to look at the ground, the gimbal wires become very taught and want to pull the skyline when it rolls. It is tricky to get that perfect amount of extra wire as to allow slack but not ever pull on wires. I think one answer will come when the limits actually work in the software. Not sure why that is so hard to implement as it seems to already be there. But if the heli tilts more than normla it has the potential to yank the wires or move the skyline.

Was the only reason for mounting the skyline to the gimbal to eliminate the pots?

In the manual it's written to augment the tilt (or orll) velocity gain to avoid this kind of problem.

the tilt/roll velocity gain is a dampening function. In fact what happen there ? a small vibration is incoming inside the skyline, the skyline interpret it as a movment ? it try to compensate and here starts the loop :)

so augment the tilt velocity gain.

You can also do something on the mounting of the skyline: take a servo wheel, place some gel on it and mount the skyline on it. Use a longer screw. this small dampening system will help you I think ;)

thank you very much, I will try that!

As I play with the skyline I see a potential issue that may occur over time. When you tilt down 90 deg, as to look at the ground, the gimbal wires become very taught and want to pull the skyline when it rolls. It is tricky to get that perfect amount of extra wire as to allow slack but not ever pull on wires. I think one answer will come when the limits actually work in the software. Not sure why that is so hard to implement as it seems to already be there. But if the heli tilts more than normla it has the potential to yank the wires or move the skyline.

Was the only reason for mounting the skyline to the gimbal to eliminate the pots?

Hi,

youhave to understand that the stabilization of the skyline is really really different of what you have ever seen actually.
All the other system (MK, piclok,hoverfly) are using an analogic loop to make stabilization:

First you have the calibrtion: the system has to lnow that for a measured angle, this correspond to a resistance value on the control potentiometer.
for example: a 10° angle should correspond to 3Kohm (this a false value).
When the stabilization sustem (gyroscope and acelerometer) read a value different from from the reference value ( the horizontal), it make spin the servo until the reaing on the potentiometer corrspond to 3kohm.
So you have a continuous reading on the valu of the pot and a continuous loop control. this system is time consuming for the µproc of th system.

The skyline is mounted DIRECTLY on the tilt axis. The skyline compares in real time the read value to the reference value, directly on the angle. If the read value is different, the skyline command the servo to move, using the potentiometer input. Photohigher has told that using the potentiometer input is faster tahn using the servo input signal.

Once Photohigher will have solved th skyline problem, you will just have a perfect stabilization system: you remove one step in the control loop, your stabsystem is directly correlated to what you need to correct. It won't be anymore a calibration between a read value and an analogical value read on another sensor.

GeorgeM

Cedric, I love the way you hype the products you sell.

Hate to butt in....... but Picloc does not have any 'analogic' stuff in it. Zero, It is full digital. Only the battery level measuring part is analogic to be 10000% politically correct.

To boot, it can work in MK way ( what you call the analogic way'... ie mounted on PAN Axis and driving all servos proportionally,
AND..
With the SAME firmware, it is able to work a 3 axis, full 360 continuous rotation servo gimbal, in exactly the same way that Skyline is doing... ie self stabilizing.

The only difference with Skyline is that Photohigher have chosen to go the difficult route and use two servos per wire.. ie a fake 1500us centre pulse in one wire, and the actual piloting signal goes to the potentiometer ('analogic') input !!! hint !!

The way they do it is by using a pwm signal to make a variable DC voltage to the potentiometer' analogic' input and drive the servo from there.

From my tests on specific high performance servos, this method has no performance advantages then when driving a servo at 333Hz or 400Hz, incidentally, both refresh rates, Picloc has been able to generate from day 1.

Sorry.. for jumping in 'your' thread, but I always tend to jump in when someone says something which is not true about my little boxes.

Thanks !!

George