Naza Trim Issue

FOX222

Hello all,

I have a Naza installed in a small quad and I keep having to trim the pitch and roll while flying in attitude mode. Some times it seems to not need any trim then the next time it can need several clicks
of both pitch and roll.

Have anyone else seen this with the Naza?

Any input would be appreciated.

john

kloner

Aerial DP
I had that, but it was constantly for the most part every flight. I'd go into the assistant, recalibrate and it still sucked, so i tried something out of the ordinary, kept noticing my center wasn't center after moving the sticks, but was when i'd hit finish. instead of letting it center like that, I made adjustment to the sub trim in the programing part of the tx, not the sub trim tabs bellow and aside the sticks and made them dead nutts in the middle after moving sticks in calibrate, then hit finish. it was like 2 clicks on one, 3 clicks on another and one click on the yaw. it totaly straightened out on me after that and quit drifting. Made it way more stable descending too, quite wobbling around

The wind sure moves em around when you take it up and try to hold it somewhere too, but that no wind unstable drifting feeling wasn't what i signed up for, left unchecked it'd gather quite a bit of speed mostly left but a little back and the slightest breeze blew the tail out so to speak

What are your gains at? to low and it drifts, too high and it wobbles/shakes

FOX222

Thanks kloner,

I think I may have figured it out. I had been starting it up in attitude mode and I think this was causing the problem. Now when I start I have it in manual mode and then change to attitude and it seems a lot better. Man it needs a lot of expo in manual mode or it is hard to hold.
I am testing inside so wind is not an issue. I know what you mean about the wind though. I guess the light weight and maybe frame design but it gets blown around a lot more then some of my others.
It is still a a lot better then the gyro only boards and I feel pretty happy with it. I love the altitude hold on this thing. I think I like it better then the altitude hold on the MK. I just wish there were more info on tuning and operation.

john

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 396

kloner

Aerial DP
man, you got it cranked up.

Yea, fire it up in manual, when the manual settings are set right, she holds really well. think i'm at 150-150-130-100 then 110-110 on the atti

A few days ago i was screwing with the altitude setting and had some weird stuff happen up high so wasn't sure what it was, but it seemed like it was trying to slow the motors by alot and i didn't ask it, as it came lower it picked itself back up. i was up in the 130's when it did it, freaked me out, dropped back to 100 and she hasn't acted wrong since

tien8tien

Not sure if any of you have seen what I have observed since setting up a new Quad with the DJI Naza controller. It was always drifting to the right...Needed a lot of Roll trim setting for every flight.

Tried checking the motors, re-calibrate the ESCs, tried many gains combinations for Basic and Attitude, but the drift is still there until this afternoon when I found the answer.

The answer lies in the way that the Naza unit is installed on the Quad.
This unit MUST be laid perfectly level relative to the Quad. Use a air bubble indicator to check if available. It is that critical. Even with a very slight slant, the Quad will drift very noticeably.

Now that I made sure that the Naza unit is as level as I could make it, the Quad can hover almost hands-free in my living room.

kloner

Aerial DP
that's awesome. i found that if you hold the sticks in any position and hit the atti switch, it locks into that position. guess that made your "not held" hover lock in perfect

learn something new every day with this thing

mailman35

hey guys, im new to the forum, but i have done some search on what the ideal expo settings should be, i have a futaba 7c, right now i have dr at 100% and expo at -15, are there ideal settings, or is this more of a fly it and see how the quad handles?
my naza settings are 150-150-130-100 and 110-110 for atti
thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
I got my expo up around 30. it is a preference thing, but makes it easier for me to give it smaller amounts of input around center stick. For me, makes me smoother. some people hate it

The settings sound on the higher side......... if you want to try another one, try 130-130-130-100 nd drop atti down to 80. I have a hard time making out the nitty gritty so i gotta put a camera on it to see whats happening.

glad to have you along

mailman35

i ended up having to tune the expo to -50 to get it to fly at first, the quad was just spinning around . but i flew through 1 pack with out a crash then managed to break a prop, so im on to the smaller 8x4.5's that came with the kit. i did notice that in atti mode around 110 with the wind it has quite a bit of wobble.
also noticing that the naza rtf kit that i have has a tendency to slowly rotate clockwise when hovering and in flight.
now to find a source for replacement props for the dji motors.
thanks

kloner

Aerial DP
my tail wanted to do that too when i had atti up over 100

look at the apc 10x4.7 to get you going, they have regular and pusher in there slofly series

The smaller props need 4s to fly

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I am having the same issue with drifting right. It seems impossible for the FC to be off level in relation to the lower frame plate as there is only a thin piece of double stick tape holding it there. Are you telling me the 1/64" thick tape can throw this thing off if it isnt dead nuts? A bubble level wouldnt even see this minute difference. It has to be something else.

Another thing I noticed was that the trims dont do anything in Atti. I used the stick trims full left and it still drifted to the right slightly. I am confused by this since the trims should be outputting on the same channel as the stick you are trimming. I am almost inclined to put a shim on the right side of the FC to tilt it to the left a little.

And yes, the 10x4.7 APC SF work well. I do however recommend that you buy a metric prop reamer. You should also put a dab of super glue in there as well since the prop nut doesnt seat snuggly against the hub as they are shorter than the stock props by a few thousandths of an inch. The problem with APC props is they are not consistent. The hub height can vary as well as the flashing from the molds. They are no Graupners, but with a little work they are great props.

kloner

Aerial DP
agree with everything said.....bought 8 apc props and 4 nice ones with a spare pusher....... on mine, used a stepless step drill in from the front till i knocked the edge off that's too small to fit the big 8mm shaft. it leaves the "precision" hole where the shim goes still from factory. you'll find most of em side heavy

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-stepless-drill-bits-66463.html

Yuri, i'm getting the same thing. yesterday i went and got some 3m 4010 gel double sided tape and remounted mine. I had 2 pieces of tape, one had been undone from mounting the naza wrong orientation so anyway, got it much better than was but it still drifts. I almost think it's why they mount the bottom plate per instructions with the bigger things to the side. When i land, that pad shakes and gives the motors a little rev. got it set to intelligent start/stop and landing in atti. weird little rev when it touches down. Still after remount it takes a little left and forward input for mine to stay still. almost think it's in turbulence and the other side of the props may be less? That plate shakes easily, mount a camera off the front of it

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
here's some good advise for everyone with a cheaply made Naza usb port like mine. FILE DOWN YOUR USB PRONGS! just file those little teeth that are supposed to lock the usb cable into the port and you will prevent what happened to me and pulling out the guts along with the cable. I was very gentle when this happened. i am now on unit #3!

ChrisG

I was having drifting issues when I first set my Naza up, turned out to be the pots gone bad in my DX7 (over 5yrs old)
Switched over to my JR11x and its now perfect.

I fly fpv and constantly switch from Atti to manual through my flight and it does not change trim.... Even if I flick to man in a dive etc. I have never trimmed my Naza... I have all trims disabled like I do my Flybarless Heli setups.

I always arm and take off in Atti mode.

Are you leaving the model perfectly still while it calibrates after plugging the Lipo in?

Cheers,
Chris.

kloner

Aerial DP
next time you fly, hold the cyclic so it goes any direction, without letting go of the sticks flip into atti and tell me what yours does. i've done it over and over.

yep, perfectly still, over 200 flights now. When i setup in assistant, can see one of the bars shake a little, wonder if that's a pot gone bad

FOX222

next time you fly, hold the cyclic so it goes any direction, without letting go of the sticks flip into atti and tell me what yours does. i've done it over and over.

yep, perfectly still, over 200 flights now. When i setup in assistant, can see one of the bars shake a little, wonder if that's a pot gone bad

I tried this today with with no effect to the trim. Mine always wants to drift in attitude mode. I am starting to wonder if it a manufacturing issue because some people have the problem and some don't. I have tried all suggestions with no improvement. I even went as far as to turn the Naza around on the frame making the back become the front and the trim followed the Naza's orientation. So it's not the frame or motors.
If I can not find the fix I will be sending mine back to be checked out.

John

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
I don't know what part of what i just did, but mine just straightened up. i got legs for it from yuri and moved everything down underneath, also got my camera off that ear of the frame and got it mounted back by a leg. moved 5000mah 4s underneath as well as moved the bec and a sattelite rx. also moved the gps module for the osd half way around the other side away from naza

just took it out in the dark, hopped up in manual and it stuck there in one spot like never before. hit atti, same deal. i'm stoked

today i tried putting it in atti before taking off cause had heard it in a post, the heli was a mess oscilating and almost uncontrollable and felt like it had half throttle, flipped into manual and back to atti and it flew normal with a drift, flipped off, corrected the drift while holding the sticks, if you let go, it bases it off your center trim no matter what, but with the cyclic held in the direction of correction, it totally held in one spot. We had some wind so took into it on purpose, made it hold in the headwind with the cyclic, hit atti and it held there

mailman35

speaking of mounting the naza on a more stable platform then the double sided foam tape. i did see something that looked like a manufactured clip to hold it level within the frame, it wasnt for the flamewheel

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7015/6655825221_08f0895619.jpg
how hard would it be to mount this to the dji frame?

also where is a good place to get the props from? there seem to be a great many places to pick from.