MultiRotorForums.com DJI Wookong Contest giveaway!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Right, here's my entry. The day started off really windy, with someone playing a really large drum in my head...I was quite glad it was windy, because there was no way I was going to fly in that state!

Things calmed down slightly by the afternoon, where I headed out just before sunset. It was still windy, but it was the last chance I had.

It is really difficult, as everyone else says. As soon as that bucket starts swing, you and the heli compensate, which makes the swinging worse! Here goes:

Last edited by a moderator:

plingboot

nice one gunter, almost happy to see you more acomplished pilots wrestling with it.

when you're watching it's easy to think, 'just go straight up, just keep it steady, gentle move left, blaa blaa blaa...'

but no matter how you get it straight in your head before lift off, as soon as the rope starts swinging, you're stuffed! :tennis:

juz

FPV pilot
Ok i try to make a quick video this morning..weather is bad , and deadline is close ,no free time and indoors was the only way..SO My daughters pacifier flying above crystal glasses , and trying to get the pacifier into them , to make it even harder... but instead of that i change my mind and i was trying to play music with them....
i almost crash into one of them ,, howeveri enjoyed a lot :) , i thought from the begging that it is simple but it isn't!!
at least i touch them all! Enjoy!

bahaha LOL at 1:14...

Nettraptor

Yea This was the fun part i forgot to mention... i almost crash into the glass!! but i just "kiss it" and lift off..!! LOL

Ok i try to make a quick video this morning..weather is bad , and deadline is close ,no free time and indoors was the only way..SO My daughters pacifier flying above crystal glasses , and trying to get the pacifier into them , to make it even harder... but instead of that i change my mind and i was trying to play music with them....
i almost crash into one of them ,, howeveri enjoyed a lot :) , i thought from the begging that it is simple but it isn't!!
at least i touch them all! Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAbT8QrOQ84
bahaha LOL at 1:14...

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

like a lot of you, i'm failing in my efforts to get an entry in (wasn't going to count but I thought I'd have a go at it). I left it to the last minute and only got in one test flight. TO make things worse, I deleted the full video yesterday when I reformatted the card for some video work I had scheduled. All that is left is a short clip that I initially converted to send to a couple of friends. I had intended to do a better flight but got called out by my job for a trip and then I had to convert the heli back to camera mode for yesterday's job. now it's windy and raining so I won't make the deadline.
To be honest, it was harder than I expected but the secret seems to lie in glancing back and forth between the heli and the bucket and making only very small corrections to get the kopter in position and to keep the object from swinging. Any big jerks of the controls and the object goes swinging out of control.
I promise, you can hold me to this, that for the next contest I'll post a sample video with the initial contest announcement so that you can all have a better idea of what we're attempting to do.

There are a couple of contest prizes already lined up so it won't be long before we get the next contest started.

Thanks to everyone for their entries, I'll make a contest voting thread with the videos all listed and a poll option so we can pick the top five.

Good luck!!!

Bart

uploading mine now.. how i would love a dji :)

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/32898513?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="220" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/32898513">MultiRotorForums.com Wookong Giveaway Entry</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/adamjosephburgess">Adam Joseph Burgess</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

I sort of veered from the rules a bit, but it seemed to be a pattern. I decided the ball and bucket made for too long of a clip, so I decided to play a little All-Star Baseball. I kept to the 10 foot string rule and hung a bat instead of a ball. There are 5 tennis balls on top of stakes. I left out the outtakes, but there were some pretty good moments of wild swinging bats and dogs chasing it. The Coaxial motors also like to chop the string on a good swing or sag. The great new is no broken props!!! Sorry, I guess Youtube did not like my choice of music and turned off the sound. I added a song from the youtube selection. My choice of music was pretty atrocious anyway. One of the songs was by DEVO.

DennyR

Interesting, but in reality it has nothing at all to do with the contest rules and in no way completes the task! The rules say buckets and you have to get your object inside the bucket.

Nettraptor

Interesting, but in reality it has nothing at all to do with the contest rules and in no way completes the task! The rules say buckets and you have to get your object inside the bucket.
correct.. but its funny and fun is the main rule of the contest!

DennyR

Nettraptor
Which rules were you reading, It might suit you to think that however. What it actually says is this.
It's All about flying, The contest goal is to fly better than you have ever flown before. You will need 5 buckets and an object to dunk into the buckets. Also something close to ten foot of string. It must be seen that you are trying to fly the course.

If you don't have the five buckets and an object to dunk, then you are not flying the course are you? I personally see a very sharp difference between Fun and inept flying. It says this is a contest and I doubt that DJI would want their nice product to end up in the hands of someone who will in all probability smash it to pieces five mins. later.

plingboot

fwiw, i can honestly say that smashing a WKM to pieces would definitely NOT be on my list of things to do in the future and i'd be both surprised and rather disappointed if the eventual winner were to do so.

larking around with a bomb proof quad is one thing and given the few windows of opportunity (around work and weather) for a flight of any kind i went for entertainment. :tennis:

i am not however suggesting i could have performed the task in as competent fashion as some of you other chaps - if i could have, i would have done that too.

DennyR

Ok so here is my final cut entry, Thanks to Bart for organizing the contest and thanks to DJI for sponsoring the event with a super prize. I have tried to include some content to promote DJI as that is what sponsorship is all about at the end of the day.

The flying part of the video shows what appears to be me flying two at once which is actually a split screen wipe with the same video clip shown on the right side but at a different time. The guy who looks like he is flying is actually jumping with the jump part edited out.

I did not find the flying part too difficult despite the new installation of the DJI being a little too sensitive. (Wrong Props.) The secret was to fill the bottle with wet sand and take off some weight from the copter. My technique was to fly the bottle and not the model. Perhaps I was just lucky to find the right technique at the start. My DJI arrived late on the Fri. and I had it installed ready for Sat. morning. I shot the whole thing single handed in about two hours with just one camera and a tripod. I placed the camera on the steps of the lifeguard hut and guessed that the angle would be right. The fun stuff with the chase was done just after.

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
I was suppose to vote also on a funny video but Denny says its not even valid. The rule did say the items but if that is the case then there are a lot of entries that will be disqualified, like Gunters vid since rule say 5 bucket and a ball not 5 balls and a bucket it is creative tho would have considered it top 5. If sticking to the rule then this contest is all but boring. Just my opinion not trying to troll. I like other vids that had creative ways of interpreting the rule and the contest. I guess up to Bart or whoever are the judges

Cool vid Jake yours seems to follow the rule so good luck....

What you'll need are five buckets (large, small, you decide what to use), a piece of string about ten feet long, a tennis ball or similar sized object, a flying multi-rotor helicopter (duh!), and a video camera.

The five buckets will be arranged around a circle of about fifteen feet (5m) in diameter and should be placed to represent the points of a five point star. The string will be attached to your multi-rotor on one end and the other end will be tied to the ball (rock, barbie doll, gerbil (preferably a stuffed one), you decide). The goal is to take off from the center of the circle and then dunk the object into each bucket while flying the shape of a star. Get a good video of the event, add some creative style, beg for the approval of your peers and you may just walk away with the prize!

As with the last contest, we will vote for our five favorite video entries and then pick the final winner from the top five "vote getters". This is meant to keep it fun and to let the creative process keep as many flyers in the game as possible.

Nettraptor

That is great video and hood , nice idea !

like a lot of you, i'm failing in my efforts to get an entry in (wasn't going to count but I thought I'd have a go at it). I left it to the last minute and only got in one test flight. TO make things worse, I deleted the full video yesterday when I reformatted the card for some video work I had scheduled. All that is left is a short clip that I initially converted to send to a couple of friends. I had intended to do a better flight but got called out by my job for a trip and then I had to convert the heli back to camera mode for yesterday's job. now it's windy and raining so I won't make the deadline.
To be honest, it was harder than I expected but the secret seems to lie in glancing back and forth between the heli and the bucket and making only very small corrections to get the kopter in position and to keep the object from swinging. Any big jerks of the controls and the object goes swinging out of control.
I promise, you can hold me to this, that for the next contest I'll post a sample video with the initial contest announcement so that you can all have a better idea of what we're attempting to do.

There are a couple of contest prizes already lined up so it won't be long before we get the next contest started.

Thanks to everyone for their entries, I'll make a contest voting thread with the videos all listed and a poll option so we can pick the top five.

Good luck!!!

Bart

DennyR

Nice try Jake. You had all the right stuff there. 4 out of 5 and then battery gone?

DennyR

Plingboot
Sorry if I sound a little over competitive as I think you once put it. But when the contest veers off to having someone tormenting his dog with a stuffed sheep and making no attempt to fly the course and then have people saying that they will actually vote for it then the whole thing becomes a joke. It says CONTEST, the only prize for being crap in any other contest that I have seen is the booby prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.