Extra long F550 arms.

pear

Yeah, the 2212/920's with the new 1038 DJI props and 4S batteries fly great.
Plenty of lifting power.

newbie question here... you have 10" DJI props and you use a 4S battery? I was told you had to use 8" prop with 4S and 10" with 3S
how does this work for you?
approx flying time?

cheers

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
newbie question here... you have 10" DJI props and you use a 4S battery? I was told you had to use 8" prop with 4S and 10" with 3S
how does this work for you?
approx flying time?

cheers

The new DJI props are 10x3.8 pitch and since they are super low pitch you can use them with your higher speed motor. Those rules applied to the old DJI props that were pure garbage and shouldn't be used anyway. You'll get a smoother flight and longer flight times with the 10x3.8. I've only heard good things about them and they are as strong as a tank.

pear

thanks for the clarification!! that's good to know -- now i just need to find a place that has them in stock!!
BTW, can you tell me your approx flight times?

thanks again!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18109580912...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pcs-50mm-...808&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=2&sd=310603743144&
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12615__Multi_Remote_Receiver_operated_on_off_Switch_.html

104gnzp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hazardpro

Do you guys think this set up would lift 1kg?

RCT800
6 x 900KV motors
30A ESCs
4S lipo

Basically I want to make a 'cheap' heavy lift. Its needs to lift 900-1000g.

I really wanted to make a quad but this looks like a good cheap option.

Any input welcome :)

Thanks

Doug

RCT800
6 x 900KV motors
30A ESCs
4S lipo

Thanks

Doug

hazardpro

Thanks - yes I saw that...How much does the phantom weight / what was the total weight?

What motors/ESCs are you running?

PS loving your lights :)

Thanks

Doug

hoggdoc

New-Bee
Doug,

We really need a little more information to make an educated guess. What motors, i.e. 2212 - 900kv and brand name would help as well. As for the lifting ability is your question asking for total weight or payload? Either way we need more info, weight of battery, motors empty frame, what flight controller and it's weight. It all comes down to weight and motor prop combo. How long do you want to fly this build. How many mAh is the 4S lipo?

HD

Based on personal experience with my RCT800 design.... you will notice excessive wobble of the airframe in even very light breezes when using undersized motors.
It may be possible to fine tune the PID loops to get rid of that but I was not able to with my existing payload, i.e., GoPro and S800 landing gear.

I started out with Turnigy Multistar 4822- 690KV motors and 4S batteries....... but when I switched up to Turnigy Multistar 4830 - 480kv motors and 6S batteries, all those issues disappeared.
It is my opinion that longer MR arms allows for additional rotational momentum in light breezes that cannot be overcome with undersized motors, i.e., more speed has to be provided more quickly for horizontal stability to be maintained....... and motors without the needed torque cannot provide the required speed increase rapidly enough if at all.

Also I am now using 15 inch diameter carbon fiber props. Two 6S - 5000 maH in parallel provides me with over 15 minutes of flight time with the S800 landing gear and GoPro3 mounted on a small aluminum brushless gimbal system c/w 5.8Ghz video downlink FPV system.

RCT800
6 x 900KV motors
30A ESCs
4S lipo

Thanks

Doug

hazardpro

Hey Peter thanks for the info.

Hmm. Well I know the F550 will lift my payload, so it sounds like I may be better of with that and avoid the 'wobble'

Doug

Thanks - yes I saw that...How much does the phantom weight / what was the total weight?

What motors/ESCs are you running?

PS loving your lights :)

Thanks

Doug

With that 3S 2600 in there it's just under 1000gr. Some owners really push theirs over weight.
I sold the RCT arm assemblies with motors and LEDs and went back to the 550 size as it's pretty loaded up now with A GoPro, FPV, iOSD and the NAZA-M V2.
Soon to get the H3-2D Zenmuse and retracts that I am building.

mmtrwg.jpg

1hgsx.jpg

Just one of many DJI crafts.

2s8qnv6.jpg

hoggdoc

New-Bee
Wow I'm surprised with you comment about wobble with the RTC arms. I have that setup, using a NAZA-M with V2 3.12 firmware and have incredibly stable flite characteristics even in very windy conditions.

I recently changed my motors from HK NTM 3530-1100Kv to SunnySky 4108-17 380Kv motors. Using just one 4S 5000 mAh battery I'm getting over 15 mins of mixed flight time. My total RTF lift-off weight is 7.73lbs. My current props are APC 14 x 4.7 props.

The only issue I still have is video Jello. I have AreroXcraft's landing gear and and anti vibe mount and a Quadframes.com gimbal. I am using a Swann (AEE 20) camera which has a CMOS sensor I have been told is not as good as CCD sensors for Jello rejection. Last night I added some 3 mm square carbon fiber rods to the top of the arms to add stiffness.

I will be testing the mods this morning! Also if the Jello still exists I will be testing a friends GoPro Hero3 Black to see if that camera with it's CCD sensors is jello free. Can you share pictures of your current configuration please? I have attached some of my RTC800.

Thanks

HD

View attachment 12435View attachment 12436View attachment 12437View attachment 12438View attachment 12439View attachment 12440View attachment 12441View attachment 12442

Based on personal experience with my RCT800 design.... you will notice excessive wobble of the airframe in even very light breezes when using undersized motors.
It may be possible to fine tune the PID loops to get rid of that but I was not able to with my existing payload, i.e., GoPro and S800 landing gear.

I started out with Turnigy Multistar 4822- 690KV motors and 4S batteries....... but when I switched up to Turnigy Multistar 4830 - 480kv motors and 6S batteries, all those issues disappeared.
It is my opinion that longer MR arms allows for additional rotational momentum in light breezes that cannot be overcome with undersized motors, i.e., more speed has to be provided more quickly for horizontal stability to be maintained....... and motors without the needed torque cannot provide the required speed increase rapidly enough if at all.

Also I am now using 15 inch diameter carbon fiber props. Two 6S - 5000 maH in parallel provides me with over 15 minutes of flight time with the S800 landing gear and GoPro3 mounted on a small aluminum brushless gimbal system c/w 5.8Ghz video downlink FPV system.

Attachments

• DSCN0810.jpg
    DSCN0810.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 468
  • DSCN0808.jpg
    DSCN0808.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 453
  • DSCN0813.jpg
    DSCN0813.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 506
  • DSCN0818.jpg
    DSCN0818.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 460
  • DSCN0814.jpg
    DSCN0814.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCN0815.jpg
    DSCN0815.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 488
  • DSCN0816.jpg
    DSCN0816.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCN0817.jpg
    DSCN0817.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 564

Here are a couple of photos and a video from Youtube..... Re: MR wobble..... looking back it might have been possible to reduce or eliminate MR wobble with the 690KV motors by reducing prop dia and/or pitch. That would have enabled better speed response with the limited torque but would reduce lift capability etc.

Attachments

• Big.jpg
    Big.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 448
  • Big2.jpg
    Big2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 272

hoggdoc

New-Bee
Well that looked pretty stable to me, maybe I'm missing something. How are you mounting the gimbal, on rails? Where did you get the landing gear? You video footage looks great, wish I could get mine to shoot like that.

​HD

Here are a couple of photos and a video from Youtube..... Re: MR wobble..... looking back it might have been possible to reduce or eliminate MR wobble with the 690KV motors by reducing prop dia and/or pitch. That would have enabled better speed response with the limited torque but would reduce lift capability etc.

Chalagi

Highgaintuning I really like that camera mount that you have in the picture with the copter on the deck rail. Can you post better pics or post a link to where you purchased this mount?

The landing gear is the original DJI w/o retracts which is still available from RCTimer. There is a specific new version just for RCT800 but the only difference is the removal of two top pieces and replacement with nylon threaded pins. I suggest one purchase the S800 version and set the extra arts aside for "plan B" i.e., possible future S800 MR airframe or to sell landing gear more easily. I simply Velcro most of the arms back on once the pins are correctly aligned. But for extra security I typwrap the left and right motor arms on to the S800 top pieces remaining. Following the above uploaded video, I removed the gimbal top anti-vibe balls and switched over to the newer DJI anti-vibe kit instead. But don't yet have a resulting video due to some firmware issues that popped up this a.m. with the Arduino IMU and gimbal controller board.... Here are some photos..... not the parts that were removed for the modification to accommodate the RCT800 MR airframe. If you look closely at the space above the blue anti-vibe bumper balls, you will see the nylon bolt with nylon nut hot-glued in place.View attachment 12448View attachment 12449View attachment 12451View attachment 12450

Attachments

• Anti-Vibe.jpg
    Anti-Vibe.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 459
  • parts removed.jpg
    parts removed.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Anti-vibe 2.jpg
    Anti-vibe 2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 478
  • gimbal control board.jpg
    gimbal control board.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 238

Highgaintuning I really like that camera mount that you have in the picture with the copter on the deck rail. Can you post better pics or post a link to where you purchased this mount?

I make those to the length I need to clear the props. I'm replacing the steel turn-buckles with CF today so I have it removed.

2v9800z.jpg

33cyzpw.jpg