G'day from Australia

cademan

Hi guys and girls, firstly I'd like to say what a nice, well laid out forum you have.

I'm very new to the RC Helicopter scene. I've been doing a lot of research and have bought a F550 Flame wheel and a Futaba T8FG. I own/run my own forum here in Perth, Western Australia called WWW.OFFROADWA.COM, it's an offroad community based on 4wding camping etc. I plan on using the hexacopter to fly a gopro around while we're offroad somewhere doing something fun.

I've managed to build the copter, but are now having lots of issues trying to get the controller to work.

I can calibrate it and get the controller working while it's connected to the pc, but it will not move any motors etc when unplugged.

I have googled my little brain out on trying to get some sort of config for the T8FG but had no luck.

I know these things have SD cards, can I simple download a config file from someone else who has setup the T8FG for the F550? I'm thinking it's not that easy. :(

Anyway, gday again, and any help pointing me towards videos or downloads to help me out in getting started flying would be great.

Also any helpers on flight sims would be great. I played around with real flight 6 in the shop, and wow that's awesome, but I didn't want to spend $230 on the software.

Thanks in advanced people.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Please tell us what controller you are using, and motors.

There a few things that may be causing this issue:

1. Motors not armed. Consult the controller manual for how to do this.

2. Wiring incomplete and the radio signal is not getting to the motor

3. Radio fail safe is incorrectly set.

Cheers

Matt

cademan

a4etugyh.jpg

9epameda.jpg

Thank matty

Sent from my fishing boat.

The wiring looks fine, are you arming correctly? Once the hex is turned on and the motors have chimed, push down and left with the sticks to arm. Then increase throttle to more than 10%. Just make sure your props are not on in case something is wrong. Let me know how that goes.

Maybe 10 if your conservative. Go to 4s If your motor and esc can handle it.

Good to hear that your in the air. What was the prob after all?

cademan

Hey Matthew, thanks for your help, I don't think the ESC can go to 4s, something to do with the voltage from what the RC guy said to me.

I hadn't set any gains etc on the remote.

Cheers again.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome to the awesome world of multis. My name is Yuri and I'm a Heli-Holic. :) I think it's great when people such as yourself actually have an intended purpose for their helis. No offense to many but the constant stream of videos showing aerials with no subject gets old fast. I look forward to seeing your work. I can confidently tell you that you will learn this faster having a purpose. Cars/trucks make a perfect subject for these multis.

hjls3

Welcome cademan - looking forward to some offroad vids. I used to do quite a bit of rock crawling before my full blown multi rotor habit got in the way :) - Anyways - hard to tell but it looks like you are using stock 30a ESC's. If so - 4s is fine. With 4s 6000mah, stock motors, 8 inch props - I can easy do 10-12 minutes flying a 550. Have fun with the multi.

Hey Matthew, thanks for your help, I don't think the ESC can go to 4s, something to do with the voltage from what the RC guy said to me.

I hadn't set any gains etc on the remote.

Cheers again.

cademan

Welcome to the awesome world of multis. My name is Yuri and I'm a Heli-Holic. :) I think it's great when people such as yourself actually have an intended purpose for their helis. No offense to many but the constant stream of videos showing aerials with no subject gets old fast. I look forward to seeing your work. I can confidently tell you that you will learn this faster having a purpose. Cars/trucks make a perfect subject for these multis.

Thank you. I have a great passion for offroading, whether it be camping, 4wding or fishing and really anything offroad (that's our motto :)). I also have a hidden passion to make videos, so why no combine the both. So far I've started an offroading community based in WA, perth and now I'm learning the ropes of Heli Videoing. Thanks for you reply.

Welcome cademan - looking forward to some offroad vids. I used to do quite a bit of rock crawling before my full blown multi rotor habit got in the way :) - Anyways - hard to tell but it looks like you are using stock 30a ESC's. If so - 4s is fine. With 4s 6000mah, stock motors, 8 inch props - I can easy do 10-12 minutes flying a 550. Have fun with the multi.

AS far as I know, everything is stock, I only got the futaba T8FG so I can upgrade heli's with out upgrading controllers. I'll have to call the RC shop and ask why they said not to use the 4s. I've just ordered some 5000mah's so I can keep swapping out the batteries.

I'm also very interested in the FPV stuff, I have another post on here, but not much replys yet. Any thoughts on a decent setup for me? The local shop has a Fatshark setup with goggles, it's the latest one, they want about $400 AUD for the whole lot.

Cheers again guys.

With fpv, take your time and get a system that meets your needs.

Typical questions:
What do you want to be able to do?
Monitor or goggles?
What frequency? How far do you want to go? How clear does the pic need to be?

Things you need to figure out for yourself, then we can help you determine what you need.

That said, fat sharks are very popular for a reason.

cademan

I have my heart set on the new go pro, black edition. The small size of it, the new features, massive resolution etc. I think I'm going to be able to get some awesome footage with it. I Ultimately want to use the FPV to see where I'm going and record with the Gopro. I'd like it setup so what I see on the FPV, is what I'm recording. I know that if I use the gopro for both these options, I'm going to get lag and make it difficult to see in real time. I have tried the fatshark goggles on, the quality isn't mind blowing but it's good enough to fly with. I'd like to have goggles as to the monitor option, I'd have to have someone with me I think to watch the screen etc. I'm not sure. I'd like to go around 2 kms with the setup I have now, saying that I'm not one for buying something and then being stuck with it when I want to upgrade. Lets say down the track I get a better heli, then I dont want to go and buy new FPV gear as well.

I plan on videoing things that are moving, cars, 4wds etc, but what ever it is I want a decent FPV setup.

Thanks again.

Ok, so there are two options!

1. stick with the F550 - it has the power and lift to carry your gopro, fpv cam, transmitter and osd (if you wanted one). You would probably want a 5.8 or 2.4g vtx at 500 - 600mw power.

2. Save, and buy something purpose built for exactly what your talking about - QAS 500 or TBS Discovery. They are very robust solutions, maybe a little expensive. They have an advantage as they only have four motors, meaning less consumption and longer flight times. The TBS gear is supposedly quite EMR resistant, which makes for a better video link.

cademan

Thanks matty. Ill definitly be hanging on to the 550 for a while and use that as a platform to base the next one on.

On another note. Im getting a slight wobble up on de-throttling in a straight line. Example...going straight up and come down the same route. When i throttle off it gets a slight wobble through the decend. Happened on 2 dif locations.

Could be a gust of wind.

Am i doing something wrong? Letting off too much throttle?

Settings?

Sent from my fishing boat.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Welcome to the site Cademan and thanks Matt for jumping right in with assistance.

Enjoy!
Bart

Yeah cad, maybe a little too much if your observing wobbling whilst descending. The Naza/wookong can handle it, but if your filming it can spoil the shot.

Two ways to fix that I have found, the first is to slow your rate of descent down until you find your not wobbling anymore. This could be pretty slow though. The second is to keep her moving around whilst throttling off. The forward movement seems to smooth everything right out.

Try rebalancing your batteries too, If your centre of gravity is out it can make the wobbling more pronounced.

Hope this helps mate!

hjls3

Matthew is wright :), your 550 wont like dirty air. when descending straight down - that is what you are flying thru, dirty air (prop wash). if you put it on a glide path of sorts, the 550 will come down much smoother. Good luck!