Extra long F550 arms.

hoggdoc

New-Bee
Landing Gear

Whose landing gear is this on your F550? It looks very stout! I notice two rubber-ducky type antennas on the F550, one must be FOV Video TX, but the other only guessing it's for the 2.4 control link? Wonder what control RX you are using that allow you to connect an external antenna (BTW a very good idea). I have a HK Orange 9 channel for JR & Spektrum that has a connector on the RX's board to allow for external antenna, but my "real" Spektrum 8000X has a solder connected antenna, bummer!

HD

With that 3S 2600 in there it's just under 1000gr. Some owners really push theirs over weight.
I sold the RCT arm assemblies with motors and LEDs and went back to the 550 size as it's pretty loaded up now with A GoPro, FPV, iOSD and the NAZA-M V2.
Soon to get the H3-2D Zenmuse and retracts that I am building.

mmtrwg.jpg

1hgsx.jpg

Just one of many DJI crafts.

2s8qnv6.jpg

Whose landing gear is this on your F550? It looks very stout! I notice two rubber-ducky type antennas on the F550, one must be FOV Video TX, but the other only guessing it's for the 2.4 control link? Wonder what control RX you are using that allow you to connect an external antenna (BTW a very good idea). I have a HK Orange 9 channel for JR & Spektrum that has a connector on the RX's board to allow for external antenna, but my "real" Spektrum 8000X has a solder connected antenna, bummer!

HD

The landing gear is from Quadframe LLC. They have a good selection of sizes. I am using the 200mm
http://www.quadframe.us/collections/landing-gear

The antennas are both 2.4GHz in that pick. A 3dB short range and a 5dB mid range antenna. That's when I had my Diversity receiver on there.
I have since put a single Clover leaf on with a HiTech Optima 7 receiver. I am converting them to retracts and will post some video this week with it working.

hoggdoc

New-Bee
The landing gear is from Quadframe LLC. They have a good selection of sizes. I am using the 200mm
http://www.quadframe.us/collections/landing-gear

The antennas are both 2.4GHz in that pick. A 3dB short range and a 5dB mid range antenna. That's when I had my Diversity receiver on there.
I have since put a single Clover leaf on with a HiTech Optima 7 receiver. I am converting them to retracts and will post some video this week with it working.

It looks like you have the GoPro rigidly mounted as is the landing gear.

Do you have Jello or vibe issues with your videos? My RTC 800 has given me fits trying to rid myself of jello and vibe issues. I fear part of that is caused by my camera a Swann HD 1080 which unfortunately has a CMOS sensor which are bad when dealing with vibes. When I mount my friends GoPro Black no issues.

BTW you have quite a collection there, must be fun trying to decide which one to fly.

HD

It looks like you have the GoPro rigidly mounted as is the landing gear.

Do you have Jello or vibe issues with your videos? My RTC 800 has given me fits trying to rid myself of jello and vibe issues. I fear part of that is caused by my camera a Swann HD 1080 which unfortunately has a CMOS sensor which are bad when dealing with vibes. When I mount my friends GoPro Black no issues.

BTW you have quite a collection there, must be fun trying to decide which one to fly.

HD[/B][/I]

Thanks... I fly them all every weekend... They each have a character of their own. I just built a Y6 using a NAZA-M Lite to see how they are and I am impressed.
The boom is mounted with rubber isolators and the turn buckles allow free movement. I am now using CF rod rather than steel rods to lessen the weight. This is for FPV and has no jello. There is some shutter as my gains on my F450 are quite high so when climbing at WOT there is the normal shake but that isn't due to the mount.
The GoPro sits on rubber gel pads and the bolts holding it in place drop through larger holes so there is no contact to the CF plate. If you look close you can see the gray pads on the GoPro Frame.

33cyzpw.jpg

ephums.jpg

gtranquilla

RadioActive
BTW..... Where did you get the two gray motor arms? from RCTimer?
Wow I'm surprised with you comment about wobble with the RTC arms. I have that setup, using a NAZA-M with V2 3.12 firmware and have incredibly stable flite characteristics even in very windy conditions.

I recently changed my motors from HK NTM 3530-1100Kv to SunnySky 4108-17 380Kv motors. Using just one 4S 5000 mAh battery I'm getting over 15 mins of mixed flight time. My total RTF lift-off weight is 7.73lbs. My current props are APC 14 x 4.7 props.

The only issue I still have is video Jello. I have AreroXcraft's landing gear and and anti vibe mount and a Quadframes.com gimbal. I am using a Swann (AEE 20) camera which has a CMOS sensor I have been told is not as good as CCD sensors for Jello rejection. Last night I added some 3 mm square carbon fiber rods to the top of the arms to add stiffness.

I will be testing the mods this morning! Also if the Jello still exists I will be testing a friends GoPro Hero3 Black to see if that camera with it's CCD sensors is jello free. Can you share pictures of your current configuration please? I have attached some of my RTC800.

Thanks

HD

View attachment 15764View attachment 15765View attachment 15766View attachment 15767View attachment 15768View attachment 15769View attachment 15770View attachment 15771

hoggdoc

New-Bee
They are actually white. I primed the black arms, with plastic primer (clear) then painted them with gloss white paint. The white arms help seeing between front and back of the hexa.

HD

Here is the RCT800 c/w the S800 landing gear and the DJI Anti-vibration kit under the airframe. The motors are the Turnigy Multistar 420KV motors c/w 15 x 5.5 carbon fiber paddle props. The MR uses 2 6S 35C 5000 maH Turnigy Nanotech batteries. Hovering flight time is just under 15 minutes. Payload is a Hero GoPro3 black on a 2 axis RCTimer BG c/w Martinez BGC. Note the ESCs are mounted out of the way directly under the center hub. This MR has successfully flown for more than 150 flights to date...... Total cost was less than $4000 including the WKM and Futaba T8FG Super RC radio system. View attachment 14134View attachment 14135

Attachments

• 2013-10-14 10.17.00.jpg
    2013-10-14 10.17.00.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 272
  • 2013-10-14 10.16.46.jpg
    2013-10-14 10.16.46.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 294

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Yes but keep in mind that their depth where the top and bottom plates bolt on is reduced so the space between the plates is a bit less..... probably ok for NAZA system but the WKM IMU module it too tall to fit between the plates.

Would these arms work on a f450 quad?

howemd

So was looking to use these arms on a spare 450 frame, but now a friend wants to upgrade his 550 GoPro Gimbal rig to these arms and a more effiecient motor. Currently he is running SunnySky 2212/980kv spinning 8x4.5 props on 4s 5000mah batteries averaging 7mins flight time. He uses an APM 2.5 for his controller, carries a goodluckbuy 3 axis gimbal and generic landing gear with an all up weight of 5lbs.

Would going to these longer arms and a larger motor/prop combo really help the duration that much? I read some post of 15-20 min flite times, but is that at a camera carrying weight? He wants to run the RCtimer 5010-540kv motors http://www.rctimer.com/product_914.html, anyone have an experience with those motors?

Overall thoughts?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
To be totally frank..... upgrading a Multirotor to the extent you require so as to lift the extra payload and achieve a long flight time is a multi-discipline engineering and design task of significance...... But to make it a bit easier you will need to work it all through using eCalc for Multirotors. Moving down the motor rpm is a step in the right direction provided you move the motor torque up.... which in turn requires more powerful motors which then leads to the need for higher voltage batteries requirements etc. And no, those motors would be a mistake for your needs. May I suggest the Hengli 22pole 420 kv motors or try the Turnigy Multistar 22pole 420kv motors available from HobbyKing. You will likely also require 45 amp escs to go with that........

So was looking to use these arms on a spare 450 frame, but now a friend wants to upgrade his 550 GoPro Gimbal rig to these arms and a more effiecient motor. Currently he is running SunnySky 2212/980kv spinning 8x4.5 props on 4s 5000mah batteries averaging 7mins flight time. He uses an APM 2.5 for his controller, carries a goodluckbuy 3 axis gimbal and generic landing gear with an all up weight of 5lbs.

Would going to these longer arms and a larger motor/prop combo really help the duration that much? I read some post of 15-20 min flite times, but is that at a camera carrying weight? He wants to run the RCtimer 5010-540kv motors http://www.rctimer.com/product_914.html, anyone have an experience with those motors?

Overall thoughts?

howemd

Yeah, that was my thoughts. It seems like a lot of money to upgrade a F550! I would think the money would be better spent in building a new/bigger hex. Throwing those arms on the 450 is purely for fun and laughs since I have all the needed equipment just lying around.

And yeah, I figured those motors were junk.

Thanks.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
With the appropriate due diligence in the design effort, you can build a larger MR suited to your needs for a lot less than buying a complete system such as the S800.
But without the due diligence, one can end up with a workshop full of mismatched items too good to throw away and no way to sell off etc. to free up money for the items you really need.
IMHO - those motors might be suitable for some other application but based on what I see, I get the impression they are best suited for BGC.

Yeah, that was my thoughts. It seems like a lot of money to upgrade a F550! I would think the money would be better spent in building a new/bigger hex. Throwing those arms on the 450 is purely for fun and laughs since I have all the needed equipment just lying around.

Thanks.

nabbs1

f450 arms love

Thanks.

I been trying to find a list of arms that match up with the f450/550. I would love to see picks of your 450 with these arms! I was thinking of doing it too for fun. Plus I want to put LED rings under the motors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maymidroix

UOTE=aForcefulThrust;78764]I have those actually.. with 11x7 SF props on it currently (not in pic). The problem is the DJI arms have allot of flex.. and i'd actually like to be able to fly 13 or 14 inch props, thinking of converting to 6s motors/packs.
View attachment 10630
maybe not... idk yet really. Pretty cool they made those arms though. They look more sturdy then the stock DJI F550 arms.[/QUOTE]

Thats why the extension plates are not worth it. As the Dji plastic arms flex, the thrust force angle is constantly changing so this causes the multirotor to feel unstable. I've those long arms and they flex a lot too, also they are very heavy.