Extra long F550 arms.

I am also very happy with the arms. Very stout and flys great.

paxdk.jpg

I dabble in some CF Hydro-dipping.
I then replace the GPS 2mm antenna for a High Gain 4mm unit.

2l8kqx0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hoggdoc

New-Bee
RCT Arms on DJI F550 Boards

Here is my RCT800 c/w clone S800 landing gear modified to fit the RCT800 arms (not an easy fix but worth it IMHO).
Design intent is to remain with 4S batteries and not carry cameras much heavier than the Hero GoPro3.... Might try to add retractable landing gear kit later.
View attachment 13860

Did you have an issue mounting the motors. I have the arms mounted to my DJI F550 boards, all is well until I tried to attache the motors and found no matching holes. It looks like the arms are drilled for the small DJI 2212 motors.

I am however using larger motors, that have motor mounting holes located at 25mm and 19 mm see attached picture. My friend is having the same problem with his motors from Aerial Media Pros (their heavy lift kit). The only solution I can see is to make some discs that will will the recess at the bottom of the motor mount location ( approx 55 mm diameter) then use the use that plate to position the holes to align with the motors. There must be an easier solution.

So what did you do?

View attachment 10864 View attachment 10863

Wayne :nevreness:

Attachments

• RCT Arm Motor Mount Holes.jpg
    RCT Arm Motor Mount Holes.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 431

hoggdoc

New-Bee
@ HIGHGAINTUNING - CF Hydro Dipping, can you explain, never heard of it. Looks like you were able to take the stock DJI GPS and make it look like CF. Also watched the video who 4mm GPS antenna are you using and it just plugged into the NAZA and worked?

Wayne

hoggdoc

New-Bee
Do the DJI motors seem to have enough power for the much heavier HEXA? What props are you using (DJI 10 x 3.8) also what battery 3C or 4C?

@ HIGHGAINTUNING - CF Hydro Dipping, can you explain, never heard of it. Looks like you were able to take the stock DJI GPS and make it look like CF. Also watched the video who 4mm GPS antenna are you using and it just plugged into the NAZA and worked?

Wayne

Youtube: Hydrographics or Hydro-dipping http://youtu.be/QIPDi35ByW8

I de-solder the 2mm antenna and re-solder the 4mm antenna I get from one of my old Antenna element suppliers.

Do the DJI motors seem to have enough power for the much heavier HEXA? What props are you using (DJI 10 x 3.8) also what battery 3C or 4C?

Yeah, the 2212/920's with the new 1038 DJI props and 4S batteries fly great.
Plenty of lifting power.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
CF Hydro dipping, very nice...what kind of work do you do? Do you work on cars? I've seen them do rims like that and they look pretty nice. I love the look, you should throw a video up of you doing the hydro dip so we can all copy you :) :) :) I want to build an all black Y6 multi and that would really help out. Very nice video too, love how fast it links up. It bothers me how long you have to wait for the Naza GPS to sync up when the Eagle Tree GPS is done in a few seconds and will get 7+ satellites in no time.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Yeah, the 2212/920's with the new 1038 DJI props and 4S batteries fly great.
Plenty of lifting power.

You should do a multi-staged launch like a rocket and have the smaller multi take off from the bigger one lol. It does look really nice especially flying. I'm trying to think of the words that my wife would use if I flew in the house :D

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The RCT800 arms are extremely solid and inflexible..... no concerns there. I have two F550's one with Naza.... other with WKM.... There was no original intention to emulate the S800.... just kept upgrading F550 parts and voila...... a near clone to the S800.... but with more limited AUW. The RCT800 arms are made of the same material as the F550 but with a deeper center reinforcement..... the material is a polymide...... known to have a very high strength to weight ratio but not as good as carbon fiber tubing.

Wow, looks really good. Your intentions are the same as mine, 4S all the way...nothing heavier than a GoPro. I'm about to go with a Y6 setup though, moving away from the H6 and back to the Y6. They're easy to transport and there's no issues with things being in the way of the camera. I don't use a gimble and I have no intention, right now anyway, of using one which saves me the extra weight. The next one I build won't even use the Go Pro camera case and will instead use the lens protector and a bare camera giving me more power with less weight.

How much do those arms flex? Have you flown a DJI anything with the plastic arms to compare to, if so how do they compare? I love the S800 but it's a huge ripoff for what you get or what you can build yourself so that's an interesting kit there + modifications.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
See attached photos...... One inner hole is drilled to prevent the template from rotating and falling out.
Once you have the disc template made..... the process of completing remaining tasks moves along very fast.....
View attachment 10865

View attachment 13871View attachment 10866View attachment 13869View attachment 13868
Did you have an issue mounting the motors. I have the arms mounted to my DJI F550 boards, all is well until I tried to attache the motors and found no matching holes. It looks like the arms are drilled for the small DJI 2212 motors.

I am however using larger motors, that have motor mounting holes located at 25mm and 19 mm see attached picture. My friend is having the same problem with his motors from Aerial Media Pros (their heavy lift kit). The only solution I can see is to make some discs that will will the recess at the bottom of the motor mount location ( approx 55 mm diameter) then use the use that plate to position the holes to align with the motors. There must be an easier solution.

So what did you do?

View attachment 13866 View attachment 13865

Wayne :nevreness:

Attachments

• disc template.jpg
    disc template.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 376
  • disc template 2.jpg
    disc template 2.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 393

hoggdoc

New-Bee
See attached photos...... One inner hole is drilled to prevent the template from rotating and falling out.
Once you have the disc template made..... the process of completing remaining tasks moves along very fast.....
View attachment 13867

View attachment 13871View attachment 13870View attachment 13869View attachment 13868

Thanks so much for sharing this. I really don't know what RCT was thinking when they didn't provide holes for the larger motor too. I will make up the templet and rill away.

Thanks again for the insight.

HD

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Obviously much larger motors can be used for the RCT800...... In my opinion the newer pan motor designs which have a larger radius but can be much shorter.
Larger radius provides more magnetic torque for larger props.....Turnigy Multistar 22 pole for 4S motors or Sunny Sky if you want to spend more money for higher quality.

hoggdoc

New-Bee
I thought that the Avrotor 2814-11 and the AMP 2814 both had a (4) hole pattern?

Not sure what pattern the motors you mentioned have, but the problem with these arms is that the pre-drilled motor mounting holes don't accommodate larger motors as the holes are too closely spaced. This is the reason gtranquilla went to the trouble to design and make the templet to drill new holes. I'm trying to find pre-made adapters that will allow the attachment of these larger motors to the RCT arms without drilling new holes. See my previous posts for details.

Thanks,

HD

Chalagi

Could you not use the metal bottom adapter from the motor as a template and just clamp it over the existing holes that are already in the arm and then re-drill new holes?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
While that would be possible the best solution is to use a disc that fits tightly into the existing arm circular recess.
Tthen fix a point on the template disc to prevent it from rotating aligned with one of the existing arm mounting holes.
In this way the new mounting hole positions are identical for all the arms.

Could you not use the metal bottom adapter from the motor as a template and just clamp it over the existing holes that are already in the arm and then re-drill new holes?