DJI WKM Firmware 5.12 Update

Aviator

I tried yesterday the last 5.12 formare in one SixCopter of mine, this one 194842_4245367622074_238616146_o.jpg
a
nd i can say that the new update makes the machine more stable and with smooth responses from the stick,
i recordered a short video yesterday where i was trying the new management of the servo output frequency response and i will post soon to see the result.
I tried 250hz for now with my Graupner MKDS18 that even if strange a 9000hz of app frequency.. "is that normal or is a fake date?"
anyway it work better and more precise movements of the servo gimbal.
Yeah taht does look stable.. Mine has gone in the opposite direction and is now very unstable, I think I will go back to 5.08 as I had much more stability and control

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just got back from testing in the wind.

BIG thumbs up as far as the Y6 (ADX3) is concerned. Much better, gimbal well good for one of the origional AV130's. Very pleased... BUT the F450 is pants! not sure whats going on.. toilet bowling and bazaar reactions to stick inputs very unpredictable. Saying that I did not spend that much time with it coz I was to busy wanging the Y6 around.. :))
Ill give it another go tomorrow

Dave

Aviator

Found the footage of when I tried POI the second time and things went very wrong.. The fun starts around 3.35

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveM

Just a thought and maybe nothing to do with your problems.

Did you happen to notice the LED colour/flashes when it played up ?

Reading the awful manual, it looks like it quits POI mode if it receives
bad GPS reception, 3 red flashes, now what I am not sure of is what
happens next, does it go into HOME LOCK or COURSE LOCK mode (
depending of Control Mode Set) or switch OFF.

If it jumps back into COURSELOCK or HOMELOCK that could be a bit
scary for stick inputs if you are not expecting it to happen.

Dave

Aviator

Just a thought and maybe nothing to do with your problems.

Did you happen to notice the LED colour/flashes when it played up ?

Reading the awful manual, it looks like it quits POI mode if it receives
bad GPS reception, 3 red flashes, now what I am not sure of is what
happens next, does it go into HOME LOCK or COURSE LOCK mode (
depending of Control Mode Set) or switch OFF.

If it jumps back into COURSELOCK or HOMELOCK that could be a bit
scary for stick inputs if you are not expecting it to happen.

Dave
No Dave I didnt check the lights, I was busy ****ting myself at he time :) And there were no stick inputs until just after it touched the ground, I then throttled up to stop it flipping and then flipped a few switches whilst trying to figure what direction the sticks made it move just before I bought her back to safety

Hi All,

i just updated Firmware from 5:06 to 5:12 no hiccups thru my old laptop window Xp version with the 32bit drive ( Two King Kong ) recently build Dji 550 Frame with the T motors 800kv ESC Flyfun 30a flew super smooth and Foxtech Hexa frame with T motors also 800kv and T Motors Esc All in All Both Machines Flew very well. i have to Tweak Basic Gains 20% less ( smooth like a Silk) I'm very please new feature offer to Woo King :)

Shiu

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just flown my HL Y6 in winds justing 18/20 knots according to the airfield just over the estuary.

Flew GREAT.... BLOOMIN MARVOLOUS.. was dreading doing the upgrade from 5.02 as she was good to fly anything with that firmware but now its even better.. and I havegot better gimbal range for the pitch/tilt... and it works much smoother and I am just actually made up...

brilliant for me.. well done DJI

Dave

snurre

FW 5.12 for octa SAFETY ALERT

I have just upgraded WKM firmware from 5.08 to 5.12.
Octacopter "I", batt: 4S, ESC: CC Phoenix ICE 50 fw4.01 (set for MR, outrunner)
"Old" type WKM controller (december 2011)

After upgrading the fw I went through all tabs and reset /wrote the settings, new TX calibration included.

ISSUE, on ground, transmitter on, all motors should be at rest / disarmed / quiet:

- Motors 7 & 8 periodically kick in
eek.gif
. Very short bursts, but enough to turn props around a few turns (Youtube video upload in progress).

During this workshop session the octa was supplied by a power supply featuring adjustable current limit. The current limit was set to limit current to just a few amps, as a safety precaution should any surprise occur. It seems like sometimes during these power bursts the current limitation kicked in (Spectrum telemetry signalled low batt). Therefore I do not know how much power would have been employed into the props if it had been supplied by the regular high power drive batteries. And I feel reluctant to try that out, since I now strongly suspect a FW bug in 5.12 for octas.
With 5.08 this never occured (burst when all motors should be quiet).

I cannot rate the severity of this suspected bug, but any safety related bug should be treated with great caution, even if not 100% verified.
And we all know that 5.10 had a bug that made octas not work at all. Maybe that bug was not completely resolved and 5.12 was not thoroughly tested on octa?

/ Tomas

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Tomas.

Did you get a config error in the assistant. I had that on my smaller Y6. It took about three goes to get the 5.12 firmware on the the WKM. After I rebooted the whole thing including the PC everything was fine. no motor twitching..

Recommend you take the props off!

Dave

Aviator

O.K as I said yesterday, I would move my GPS unit up and recalibrate. Then try POI mode and see how it flew generally? Well it certainly made all the difference in the world.. It is so much better now, and everything works much more stable. So perhaps I was too hasty in blaming DJI? but if I had access to flight logs? I would have seen straight away where the problem came from.. Maybe something to consider? and it still isnt as stable as my friends Naza GPS which I set up for him?

snurre

Hi Droider,

Yes, initially I got the config error in the assistant. But as I went through all the tabs, calibrated and reconfigured (clicked "write") and finally turned it off/on, the config error was gone. All seemed ok, except for those short motor bursts.
I would be very interested to know if this is what you referred to as motor twitching on your Y6.

So you think I need to go through all configs again, click "write" and that should do it?

Here is the video, check at 0:24, 1:37, 2:02, 2:27

The beeb is normal once in every 30 sec and can be disabled in Castle Link. As for the props spinning that never happened to me on older firmware. I would be wary of this and be extra careful with testing when the props are on.
Cannot test the latest firmware since I removed and junked my Wkm. Cannot bother with defective toys and rude rich people anymore.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Droider,

Yes, initially I got the config error in the assistant. But as I went through all the tabs, calibrated and reconfigured (clicked "write") and finally turned it off/on, the config error was gone. All seemed ok, except for those short motor bursts.
I would be very interested to know if this is what you referred to as motor twitching on your Y6.

So you think I need to go through all configs again, click "write" and that should do it?

Here is the video, check at 0:24, 1:37, 2:02, 2:27

Aye up Tomas

That sounds like I had when the config error was there. I just saw your config light and it seemed to be blinking just red.. just like when I had the config error.

I see you have the DX18 how do you find it?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Toys I mean DJI wkm and rude rich people =Sidneyw

Sorry matey it does not work for you.. it works just fine for me and as a tool its the best I have had experience with and just lets me get my job done. This latest firmware release has made one hell of a difference to my two bread earners.

Dave

Dave I am happy it works in your setup and you trust the platform.

Unfortunately after a year of trying my results are exactly the opposite to the point I fear that I will have to chase a runnaway 9 kilo octo before it beheads someone. :)

Good luck.

snurre

I am increasingly convinced that there is a bug in 5.12 for octa, causing glitches in motor 7 & 8 control.
ESC: Castle Creation Phoenix ICE50 fw4.01 (has worked trouble-free with fw 5.08)
(This has NOTHING to do with the power-on beeps from the CC ESC, they are normal).

The motor twitching is there on motor 7 and 8, no matter if TX is on or off, or if Assistant software is connected or not.
And now there is no indication whatsoever about a config error!
The power employed with propellers on occasionally seems sufficient to slap your fingers / ear / eye hard enough to be considered as a safety issue.

Here are some plots from the ESC internal log, unfortunately the sample speed is too slow to catch the input glitches from WKM MC, but the effects is clearly seen on the RPM plot.
At 2 samples/second and 10 samples/second:
View attachment 5192
View attachment 5193

And a new short video, further illustrating the problem:

Dajiang - we have a problem! :livid:

Attachments

• ESC7_CC_dataLog_fw5.12.jpg
    ESC7_CC_dataLog_fw5.12.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 243
  • ESC7_CC_fw5.12_pic2.jpg
    ESC7_CC_fw5.12_pic2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 240

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
FW 5.12 for octa SAFETY ALERT

I have just upgraded WKM firmware from 5.08 to 5.12.
Octacopter "I", batt: 4S, ESC: CC Phoenix ICE 50 fw4.01 (set for MR, outrunner)
"Old" type WKM controller (december 2011)

After upgrading the fw I went through all tabs and reset /wrote the settings, new TX calibration included.

ISSUE, on ground, transmitter on, all motors should be at rest / disarmed / quiet:

- Motors 7 & 8 periodically kick in
eek.gif
. Very short bursts, but enough to turn props around a few turns (Youtube video upload in progress).

During this workshop session the octa was supplied by a power supply featuring adjustable current limit. The current limit was set to limit current to just a few amps, as a safety precaution should any surprise occur. It seems like sometimes during these power bursts the current limitation kicked in (Spectrum telemetry signalled low batt). Therefore I do not know how much power would have been employed into the props if it had been supplied by the regular high power drive batteries. And I feel reluctant to try that out, since I now strongly suspect a FW bug in 5.12 for octas.
With 5.08 this never occured (burst when all motors should be quiet).

I cannot rate the severity of this suspected bug, but any safety related bug should be treated with great caution, even if not 100% verified.
And we all know that 5.10 had a bug that made octas not work at all. Maybe that bug was not completely resolved and 5.12 was not thoroughly tested on octa?

/ Tomas

I would tell anyone who is flying an Octocopter to be VERY CAREFUL!
I had the same issue as above but I wasn't so lucky to be on the bench without batteries connected.

Here's what happened to me.
My Octo was working GREAT! I updated to FW 5.10 and had an issue where my Tx radio (JR9303) wouldn't recognize the throttle or rudder inputs.
I removed 5.10 from my computer, trash can, and rebooted my computer. When I logged back on to DJI to download 5.10 again I found the NEW 5.12 update.
I then updated 5.12 FW and checked over ALL my settings. Everything was fine and I rewrote everything just to be sure.
I took my Octocopter outside for a low level test flight and it flew great but didn't seem to hold as well in GPS mode. I thought no big deal and decided to try the POI.
The POI worked and I thought that was COOL! I landed after what was a 4 to 5 minute flight. It was getting late so I didn't get another flight in.
The next day I was ready to go! I got my Octocopter set-up outside and powered everything up. Waited to get a solid GPS lock and started my flight.
About 60 to 90 seconds into my flight I put my Octo into a hover at about 75' altitude. It then took a hard left pitch. I responded by giving it right aileron.
It pitched back right and into a hover for a second. Then ALL MOTORS STOPPED and it fell from the sky like a rock.
I applied throttle on the way down but it didn't help to slow it down one bit. It hit the ground like a rock!
My octo itself wasn't damaged too bad (bent arms) but it just destroyed my camera mount, camera, 2 of 4 batteries, and my air retract arms.
I took the octo inside and put it on my bench. I tested all the wires and push/pulled to look for any bad connections or a short.
Everything was all as it should be. The 2 batteries that didn't get destroyed tested fine (15.9 and 16.0) on voltage.
I removed all my props and fired it up again with batteries that wasn't involved in the crash.
On the bench I brought it up to 1/2 throttle and wiggled my aileron and elevator. The damn thing shut down my motors again!

I THINK THE 5.12 HAS SOME POWER ISSUES, BUGS, OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL THEM!
FLY AT YOUR OWN RISK AND YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

I know my bird is GROUNDED until I hear back from DJI! If anyone else is having or had a power issue I would love to hear from you!