Quinton

was out farting around today as a one man band, did some slofly and gimbaling at the same time,,,, string to my toe, rod bolted to my hip implant..... gh3 with voightlander glass at sunrise

Was the the 25 or 17.5mm lens? What a great place to fly, you would think it was a movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
I was scouting for a feature for your side of the pond...only thing there is the occasional off road guy, Border Patrol or an illegal making a run for it. They tend to steer clear of me not knowing what the hell that is in the sky but not wanting anything to do with it. If i rise high enough and you look south there is a black fence, That's mexico, mexicali to be exact.... About 1 mile from that train

17.5 and an nd..... think i was at 4.4 most the time, thing makes daylight in the dark, crazy fast

Quinton

I was scouting for a feature for your side of the pond...only thing there is the occasional off road guy, Border Patrol or an illegal making a run for it. They tend to steer clear of me not knowing what the hell that is in the sky but not wanting anything to do with it. If i rise high enough and you look south there is a black fence, That's mexico, mexicali to be exact.... About 1 mile from that train

17.5 and an nd..... think i was at 4.4 most the time, thing makes daylight in the dark, crazy fast

When you say a 4.4 are you talking about aperture, is that lens de-clicked?
The focus was really sharp all the time for being that wide open!

kloner

Aerial DP
yes the aperture. it's all manual focus/iris. yes cinemized

it is, far out was kinda plain, but the hill if somebody was standing there and the train,,,, pops. it was just infinite set

I'll fly my rockinon 16mm t2.2 next, it's sweet spot is 4-5.8,,, the voightlanders is 2.2

Quinton

yes the aperture. it's all manual focus/iris. yes cinemized

it is, far out was kinda plain, but the hill if somebody was standing there and the train,,,, pops. it was just infinite set

I'll fly my rockinon 16mm t2.2 next, it's sweet spot is 4-5.8,,, the voightlanders is 2.2

Nice, this is the way to do it, thanks for sharing...for others reading this everyone will say close your aperture right down so it makes it easier to focus...don't do it.
Once you go over f8 or so then the quality of the image starts to degrade.
Sweet spots of lenses are about 1.5-2 stops above wide open, so you will need ..about at least 2 to 3 stop ND filter to get that aperture open.
Really nice lenses, I have the Lumix 25mm 1.4 which is a lovely lens but seems its not even close to this one.

kloner

Aerial DP
this glass is money,,, the rokinon isn't quite as nice but is massive so it is clear and it's also cinemized and half the price. Anxious to get my crew out with me so we can see for ourselves what all i bought.... hahaha.... i've had the lumix 7-14 and it's alright but it doesn't take filters, but man, wide and zero distortion.... rad up close or up high for a wide shot

20140108195631-26e9be41.jpg

sk8brd

kloner-was that on a zen, was it hard to rebalance if it was. the gh3 kinda kicks *** and i feel that it's kind of under appreciated, sharp as a tack even at wide angles something canon dslr's have a bit if trouble trying to do. my 5d performs much better on longer lenses as far as detail stuff. i would like to see some 5d raw flying things tighten up nicely w/ the lantern.

Javajack

Java Post Aerial Photo
I don't think GH3 is under appreciated. We use it as our primary camera but the line dropping or interpolation shooting HD with a large sensor camera kind of sucks. Once this moire is burned into the image there's no way to filter it out in post. I'm hoping the GH4 has addressed these issues.

kloner

Aerial DP
that is on the hexacrafter g2 3 axis gimbal.....I can fit up to the rokinon 16 on my plate, balances perfect.... i hear ya, are you shoting in i mode? We attempt to fly our gh3 every gig but they always veer off and want whatever. For that we use the aerial mob vred gimbal, it flies anything. This one is gh3 big glass specific as it's setup, 4014 belt drive with lots of gear reduction

sk8brd

gimbal performance looks nice Kloner! hear ya javajack about moire issues-my 5dmk2 was terrible in that regard. i haven't got to use a gh3 so didn't know it had that problem most of what i seen looks very nice but never really looked for the issue so something to consider. i hope the gh4 doesn't use as strong as a aliasing filter as the 5dmk3 has. i feel it hurt the sharpness of the sensor but at the same time i guess less sharpness is better then moire for some. a lot of people on forums like dvx user tend to lean towards the full frame sensors like the 5d's more so then the gh3 but our needs are different then some for groundwork.

kloner

Aerial DP
that is a 2 out of three axis belt driven. only direct drive is the tilt, and it's the hardest axis to tame for whatever reason the belts make tuning a breeze, they get so strong they just work from mechanical advantage. it is 4114 on a v2 viacopter board with 3 axis

I love tinkering with stuff, wish that spot was closer though, drive 3 hours round trip and spend $50 every time i go..... must be there 2-3 days a week testing something, sometimes i'm there 10 minutes, other times it's all day fighting something.

That 5d does the most fabulous photos, but the video, I get mixed feelings. is it nice, yea, looks great, but at the point i'm flying a 5d with rad glass we may as well add the other three pounds and fly a red on it.....

5d sure is flexible, so many lenses and goodies work with it, shes a workhorse for about every production company i've worked for..... you always see them on the location scout snapping away

Quinton

yaw gain looks just a tad to low,,,

If you don't mind sharing why exactly you think his yaw gain is too low (especially from just watching a video).
The Yaw gain is one that I am not 100% sure of, as I can set it lots of different places and it does not "seem" to make any difference.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Finally, a solution to flying in the rain that works:

Now why didn't I think of this!!!?

Last edited by a moderator:

tonyh0905

FPV range test

I did an FPV range check at Lavernock Point. I have no telemetry, and went a bit further than I thought!

This was the site of the world's first radio transmission over open water...from Wiki:
On 13 May 1897, Marconi sent the world's first ever wireless communication over open sea. The experiment, based in Wales, witnessed a message transversed over the Bristol Channel from Flat Holm Island to Lavernock Point in Penarth, a distance of 6 kilometres (3.7 mi). The message read "Are you ready".

http://youtu.be/y22i5yjLqls

Sorry for the crap quality, I was testing a compact camera.