Jetstuff

Jetstuff
Thanks Ferdinand! got it at last........ are you actually flying backwards/sideways in your FPV.....or do you have another camera facing forward?

john

FerdinandK

There are two cams, one is always facing forward, and the second is on the gimbal and panning. So I am always flying forward.

best regards
Ferdinand

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Here my last with the Z15, everything flown in FPV....

What concerns me slightly is that the Z-15 is showing the same tendency to lean into the direction of sideways travel as both the MK FC camera control and Picloc. Watching the video one learns to live with the very slightly right-skewed horizon from the sideways facing camera, but then you stop and go back the way you came from and the horizon gently skews to the left.

I have been imagining the Z-15 to be more disciplined than that.

FerdinandK

This might get fixed withing a firmware update, but for now I have added Roll of the cam to my rc, so within the next videos I might be able to correct this manually.

best regards

Ferdinand

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Ferdinand did you try the new FW already for the Zen ? Assistant 1.12 and ***.16 beta something

Meins wird närrisch mit der neuen und spinnt nur noch rum beim boot up !

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Shakiness on the controls,,, I like that. It's pretty hard to give up LOS when you're hanging that kind of money up there, I bet. Still, nice job of it!

I know my own limited experience is very favorable. For some reason I feel extremely comfortable under the goggles. Each flight I try to push the limit farther out and lower.
Kloner one time told me the ground is your friend. My last flight proved that right for me. Up high is one thing, knowing you have room for those oop's moments, but when I decided to take it to a few feet off the deck over a 1/4 mile out I was amazed! No fear at all, no feeling like I ought to get my rear end up higher.

Just got to love this hobby!

With my dedicated FPV quads I routinely fly a foot or two off the deck at 30mph and faster, I also fly them up to several hundred feet to enjoy the view from up there. There's a BIG difference screaming along the ground FPV with goggles on a relatively inexpensive quad vs flying a fully loaded Cinestar in a way that you've never flown it before. If it weren't for my comfort level with FPV on the quads I wouldn't even have attempted it, or at least not without someone standing next to me that could have quickly taken over the controls LOS if it all went horribly wrong with the video link. Worst case there's always the failsafe switch to get it back to the takeoff point and I have had occasion to use it on the TBS Discovery while flying below treetop level a half mile out and having the video link fail completely! :eek:

Ken

hjls3

Here my last with the Z15, everything flown in FPV.

best regards

Feridnand

That is awesome Feridnand. Such an impressive gimble. Money is currently being put aside for mine :) Looks like a gorgeous place to fly too.

Last edited by a moderator:

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Some Labor Day FPV with the TBS Discovery trying out some new video gear. Had the gains set a touch too high but otherwise flew nicely...

Ken

kloner

Aerial DP
you guys are spoiled, that's such a nice ama field

Ours is sandy dust on a beach, can't go anywhere, surrounded by cars next door to sea world 3-4 miles from San Diego intl. I'd never imagine flying fpv there

Loooks great!!!! all of em

Tomstoy2

Ok, so here it is. My first full fpv vid done all under the goggles, take off to landing.

To begin with,,, you all have watched me thru all my trials and tribulations venturing into the darkest of the dark arts for close to a year now. You have seen failure after failure, going thru vairous equipment and set-up's, and witnessed my triumpth's. Thank you everyone for your support and patience.

I'm now pretty well versed in what works and what doesn't. I'm now working on my second 100 flights, and the confidence level is now soaring.
Discovering what works, getting the set-up correct, and pure persistance has paid off, big time!

This I can say unequivocally, the flight controller is the key to the kingdom! Without it, all is for naught. In this department DJI Innovations shines! Absolutely blows my mind what the Chinese have done. It is what Skookum is to fbl, but really more thought out. Considering that they are just a little over a year old they have come out with, damn I don't really know now, what, 15 or so updates in firmware? No other company had such dedication toward their product, period.

Enough of my rambling, let's get on with my impression's.

My personal experience, under the goggles,,, it's just too cool! Nothing beats it.
For me, I find it totally relaxing. Others don't, but for me, I don't know, maybe because of my flying background, mixed with my inability to do that for decades, but it is as close to the real thing that you can get without dying in a crash!
Had a flight instructer tell me once, " In the event you find you are going to crash, fly as far into it as possible ".

You do your preflight check, make sure everything is set correctly, push the count down timer on the tx, strap on the goggles and power up the motors.

Lots and lots of people have trouble with lift off, even flying line of sight. These things are, in my case, 6 times the gyros and accelerators and none of them like to stabilize fully until out of ground effect.
I hope you have noticed my take off's are pretty smooth and controlable. I like to advance the throttle until it get a little light on the skids and do a slight stick stir. This gets things warmed up and somewhat stabilized. Then I advance the throttle and smoothly lift off the ground.

Once in the air, about 2 feet up everything is locked in.
I can then take my time, or not. These things will flat out move if you want them to. They have all the attributes of a heli, minus the 3d stuff, but even then the guys that are into that will amaze you what they can do. I fly a camera ship, I'm not interrested in the sport flying end of it, I have plenty of powerful srh's for that craving.

In the air, the scenery is just a total thrill ride. It's easy for me to just set the altitude I want to be at and then just drive around. Plenty of time to look about without fear and enjoy the ride. If I want to take some time and really examine something, well it's a heli, it hovers in a fixed spot just fine. With gps it will just hold itself there waiting for you to do something, no drifting off, no change in altitude, not corrections, no problem.

Landing is a real trip! it blows me away how easy it is to determine how close you are to the ground. Because you are always seeing what is in front of you your fight controls never change. None of this worrying about reversing stick direction.
What is a little disconcerting is knowing what is behind you and to the side, as you can not see that. Now, if I had a 3 axis gimbal, I could hook up the 3rd axis to my head tracker and just move my head side to side and see. Hmmm, might need to look into that this winter.

My last vid, when I went under the goggles at Southpark to go explore the river over on the other side of the valley, for me, was what it is all about. No longer having the ability to comfortably walk down there, I can now still enjoy and have a whole new perspective of the journey.
Then there is the ability to share it with my friends in high definition! It's not just a solitary adventure anymore, plus I can re-visit the memory anytime I wish.

In short, it's the epitomy of what I ever wanted when I first started this hobby back when I was 5 years old.
I can honestly highly recommend it!!!

So, what's up next? Well, more range, obviously. A better vtx, like the one I ruined, and a better ground station antenna to push the range out to not miles, but tens of miles. This will require a UHF add on to my Futaba, not too expensive, in the 433mw range, plus a ham lisence to keep it legal. Fortunately, I don't need the full ham lisence, just a portion of it. No need to brush up on my Morse code.
A better gimbal, and stabilizer for it.
An OSD so I know the telemetry.
Longer legs, more battery.
That is the immediate agenda.
In the future, I see a larger platform decked out with a nice real camera, like the Sony Nex7, but that is in the future.

So, enough of my hot air. Here is the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTshDS7eME&feature=player_detailpage

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Dr. Loveless' giant mechanical spider from the film Wild Wild West came to mind. Something to do with the motor noise I think.

kloner

Aerial DP
good job dude, you made it. when you get good, skim the ground and i bet you'll catch one that ca't get back to his hole. That'd be a fun sport, prarie dog cutting, like cattle

you guys shoot them things? .17? Wait till you get moving with them goggles. they really give you the experience. That's where the whole immersion name came from

hjls3

good job dude, you made it. when you get good, skim the ground and i bet you'll catch one that ca't get back to his hole. That'd be a fun sport, prarie dog cutting, like cattle

you guys shoot them things? .17? Wait till you get moving with them goggles. they really give you the experience. That's where the whole immersion name came from

.204 and fun to shoot the dirt right in front of them :) less pink mist that way.

awesome Tom. im about to head down the FPV path, with the Kloners help of course. Tom sooner or later, maybe when I get good at the FPV thing, we gotta get together for a fly. I will be in Denver twice in the next few months for soccer tourneys with the offspring. Likely I will have a MR in the trunk. We should get together.

Tomstoy2

As a kid, we had to go all the way out to the Pawnee National Grasslands just to find a damn dog to shoot. I used a .22 Jet Mag for close to medium range, but my favorite 'dog gun' was a .22-250. You can reach really far out there and they get absolutely no warning with a supersonic round.

Today, here in Boulder county, if somebody wanted to build on that property they would have to get a permit, live trap every damn dog and relocate them to an approved site!

Hjls3, sure thing! Would love to do some flying with you. Just let me know when. I do work alot so a little advanced warning and we can do it!

Me and the boys are heading up to Estes Park tomorrow, got a 4000sft house rented, going to check out the Scottish festival. They want me to do a shoot of them on the Harley's. Should get some good shots!
The house is on top of one of the mountains directly looking over the town, too, so I'm looking forward to it, ( not looking forward to the Tequila hangover, though ).