Photohigher skyline rsgs

I have not been here for a couple of months since I returned my skyline and I can see that I made the good decission to return skyline and to buy the hoverfly gimbal !
I am more than happy with hoverfly and got rid of the jittering !
I would never buy anything from PH again, apart from skyline there are a lot of spots on 130 and 200 where you need modification and addittional work to make it right !
On my av 130 the third axes had a lot of slops and the screw they provided with the kit was too short !
Basically, such a company as PH should not let their reputation mistakes like the ones I mentioned and skyline is total waste of money for us ( but remember that it was huge amount of money for them, and it is easy money ) The owners of skyline should get together and sue them for the product which does not do what is supposed to do.
I could understand that it does not work well with the gimbals produced by the other companies but it does not work with their gimbals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Total rubbish
I was really lucky to get my money back
I wish you all the luck

vispaaja

Wow.. 257 pages, of which probably 80% negative comments :apathy:

Going to testfly my custom gimbal tomorrow. The pan seemed to drift quite a lot. Also, there is some jitter on the tilt axis.. What gains are you using with 7D/5D?

2013-03-01%2018.11.49%20%28Medium%29.jpg

iceman

Wow.. 257 pages, of which probably 80% negative comments :apathy:

Don't forget that forums usually attract post from individuals with problems or from those in need, it's rare that people post good new, amazing results or trade secrets.

vispaaja

True, that's why my hopes are not very high with this one :)

If I update the firmware, will I have to re-do the initial setup?

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman

True, that's why my hopes are not very high with this one :)

If I update the firmware, will I have to re-do the initial setup?

I always take a note of all the settings and then reset everything to default after a firmware upgrade then input all the data. It's a shame PH don't have a "Save all" feature that just writes back the data/settings to new firmware.

Nice gimbal vispaaja.
Look very much like Hansen and Rustic gimbal but using RSGS ctrl.
I had 180 on both tilt and roll with 5D. Roll ok, tilt jitter.. need to lower futher but can't get the com port working at the moment..

vispaaja

Nice gimbal vispaaja.

Thanks!

I updated to 1.7b FW and works much smoother now. The PC software was quite straight forward, but it crashed quite often.. Hopefully PH will fix the remaining issues before launching any new products. It's better to have a few good products than lots of bad ones..

fabietto_91

Hi everyone.
As I have mentioned earlier, I made a smaller pulley for tilt on my AV130. Now the gear ratio is 5:1 (instead of 2,5:1).
I have raised the tilt gain until 450, and there is no jitter at all: it holds the camera very well.
Here is the video....
I used nex5 camera, that hasn't any image stabilization...

As you can see, there is NO roll drifting during the pan... I have had some problem, but I have solved with an very accurate setting of level XYZ and autotune.
I hope this feedback can please someone.. :encouragement:

Fabio

Pjtyros

I have run out of time with the Skyline. Thanks to Mike H, I followed your instructions to the letter although I had already done what you suggested many times.
I will order the Hoverfly board this week. FOR SALE Skyline £100.
Cheers
Paul

Pjtyros

No not damaged, If I try like in your video then it is good but in the air fully loaded then it is just not good enough, perhaps I am too critical but for me it has to be 100%.

Fabio, most people here learned a long time ago that 'mirror' tests and hand-held movements are meaningless compared to what happens in flight and are a misleading way to plug a product. Did you actually fly your skyline yet ?. We would love to see some video of that.

fabietto_91

Hi hexacrasher! :)
yes, i did fly my gimbal. I have posted my flying video few days ago...
Anyway, here is the video:

In video editing i never used post stabilization. Just the ois from the cam.:)

Fabio

Very nice video - you have got your ship flying really smooth. You still have the usual skyline horizon problems though and a strange 'rocking' in roll. Any idea what is causing it ?.

fabietto_91

Very nice video - you have got your ship flying really smooth. You still have the usual skyline horizon problems though and a strange 'rocking' in roll. Any idea what is causing it ?.

Thank you hexa. :)
When I shoot some of the clip of the video was before solving the roll drift problems... An accurate XYZ set up procedure seem to have solved it....

what do you mean with 'strange roking roll'?
sometimes you can notice a small swing "left-right"....it's caused by the small propellers that i have... the hexa not lock the "yaw" very well...

BTW
here you can see a raw video of my setup. (before solving roll drift)
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?3304-Photohigher-skyline-rsgs/page250

Fabio, I mean it looks like the picture is rocking in the roll axis at a fairly slow rate (maybe 2 Hz). That's awesome if the horizon drift has been finally figured out. Please put some flight video up as soon as you can, but also leave the clips for longer. Many on the last one were only 2 or 3 seconds long and it's impossible to judge how well the RSGS is doing. We get enough selective edits from the PH reps here :friendly_wink:.

MikeH

Fabio, I mean it looks like the picture is rocking in the roll axis at a fairly slow rate (maybe 2 Hz). That's awesome if the horizon drift has been finally figured out. Please put some flight video up as soon as you can, but also leave the clips for longer. Many on the last one were only 2 or 3 seconds long and it's impossible to judge how well the RSGS is doing. We get enough selective edits from the PH reps here :friendly_wink:.

If you are expecting every flight to be absolutely bang on with no movement at all then I suggest you hang up your transmitter because it won't happen.
I just finshed two days of filming with RedBull. We trawl through all footage and give it a rough cut before handing it over. Our shot selection req'd zero post stabilisation. Were there shots that had some small movement in it? Yes but the is the nature of the technology and the number of shots that did show movement were very small. If one of those shots had been a keeper we would have post stabilised it with no hesitiation.

If there is some movement due to wind or rough flying then what is the harm in post stabilising? Technology is available to help us out so don't be afraid to use it, especially if we are being paid to provide footage. Yes it will decrease the quality of the image but the difference is very small, Most people out there couldn't tell the difference even if they were looking for it.

Every single one of us provides selective edits, this isn't a cineflex.

fabietto_91

I agree with MikeH :tennis:.

However, here is a small clip where the skyline is used in the worst situation... flying sideways in pretty strong windy condition.....
for me the footage is acceptable... the yaw movement is crap i know, it's my fault.... :pig: