Photohigher Halo 8 & Halo 2000

kloner

Aerial DP
We recently acquired halo 8/ halo 2000 and wanted to share with everybody what came in the box. We all know of it as an illusion so wanted to show where Kims been and what he's up to. I for one am stoked to finally get one, shes as refined as one would expect from photohigher and from what i've seen just messing around with the gimbal it's no slouch either. Looking forward to getting it together and getting some flight time logged on it. shes 1500mm running kde 5215xf, kde 55 amp, superX

I'm still waiting on a couple parts to come in but screw waiting till shes done, lets see whats inside....

i.php

20140909164527-eba2b701-la.jpg

20140909164627-6bce571e-la.jpg

20140909164652-bc3a8b2c-la.jpg

20140909164755-8707bba7-la.jpg

20140909164825-f629d8e4-la.jpg

kloner

Aerial DP
The goods

20140909164503-08a55a35-la.jpg

20140909163954-6e104abd-la.jpg

20140909163856-9a01c822-la.jpg

20140909164055-ed6aade8-la.jpg

I opened the box, charged the batteries.... didn't have to cause not even in use, but installed an rc controller.... got the balance pretty close cause it's so easy to adjust but i'm sure it could be better, forgot the yaw counterweights. Has a button on it with 4 modes to choose from and one mode that's off.... yaw follow, yaw/tilt follow, yaw,tilt,roll follow and no follow for 2 man operation. got this handheld footage.

i have a fused ankle so got quite a gate, not the best one to show off a handheld... as you can see

Anyhow, this thing will be going together pretty quick, it's due at a gig in 2 weeks.... ugh. be back with more as it arives

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Gimbal and octo looked pretty cool. Bout the time I had a "I want one" moment, google knocked me down. $8,299 for gimbal, is just a couple pennies over my budget.. Don't even want to know what the frame kit is.

Being molded cf, you sure as hell don't want to crash or have a hard landing. That stuff is for the 1%....

Mojave

We recently acquired halo 8/ halo 2000 and wanted to share with everybody what came in the box. We all know of it as an illusion so wanted to show where Kims been and what he's up to. I for one am stoked to finally get one, shes as refined as one would expect from photohigher and from what i've seen just messing around with the gimbal it's no slouch either. Looking forward to getting it together and getting some flight time logged on it. shes 1500mm running kde 5215xf, kde 55 amp, superX

I remember seeing one of these frames at AMP back during the first part of this year(?). It really looked futuristic. I did not realize it was from PhotoHigher. It looks like those motor mounts will be relatively easy to level?

This will be an interesting thread for sure!

Agreed!

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I was able to see one of these in the flesh quite recently and to be honest I thought it was very heavy and all form over function. I don't see what this frame offers over others apart from aesthetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fltundra

I was able to see one of these in the flesh quite recently and to be honest I thought it was very heavy and all form over function. I don't see what this offers over others apart from aesthetics.

Feel the same about the Jeti DS-16. :tennis:

kloner

Aerial DP
I was able to see one of these in the flesh quite recently and to be honest I thought it was very heavy and all form over function. I don't see what this frame offers over others apart from aesthetics.

the ability to produce well over 100 lbs of thrust which gets me covered up to 55lbs AUW with a nice power to weight margin. the gimbal is super nice, vibe isolation is ridiculous. Kim is head over heels about becoming a certified manufacturer and that will be a huge benefit to moving forward with flying with faa approval. theres a bunch of killer stuff for that coming from PH...

Efliernz

Pete
Certified manufacturer? Certified by who? NZ CAA doesn't have a "certified manufacturer" system in place at the moment. In fact CAA as of last week are scratching their head wondering how the hell they are going to do it!
I'm not trying to stir... just chasing facts...

Pete

Carapau

Feel the same about the Jeti DS-16
. Until you realise how you can set this up to improve the safety of your aircraft by using things like logical switches, dual path RF to the aircraft, customized alarms, hall sensor gimbals, alarms and actions linked to telemetry values. And I could go on.

With an airframe weight is king and the Halo is not a light frame unless they have released an update since the one I looked at was bought. Whilst the pilot I was talking too who owned the frame said that the Halo packs up nicely, he said it was a bit of bummer to take apart.

With that said, clients don't care about weight etc and can often get blown away simply by the looks of the machine and there is no doubt that if you pull a rig like this out in front of client they will be nothing other than highly impressed. I will be intrigued to see how Kloner gets on with this airframe as maybe there is more to it than just bling.

Carapau

the ability to produce well over 100 lbs of thrust

But that has nothing to do with the airframe and everything to do with the power train???

Just playing devil's advocate here- the frames do look the mutts nuts so it would be great to see what your thoughts are once you have flown it a few times. It would be great to be proven wrong on my view of all bling but not much else!

fltundra

. Until you realise how you can set this up to improve the safety of your aircraft by using things like logical switches, dual path RF to the aircraft, customized alarms, hall sensor gimbals, alarms and actions linked to telemetry values. And I could go on.

With an airframe weight is king and the Halo is not a light frame unless they have released an update since the one I looked at was bought. Whilst the pilot I was talking too who owned the frame said that the Halo packs up nicely, he said it was a bit of bummer to take apart.

With that said, clients don't care about weight etc and can often get blown away simply by the looks of the machine and there is no doubt that if you pull a rig like this out in front of client they will be nothing other than highly impressed. I will be intrigued to see how Kloner gets on with this airframe as maybe there is more to it than just bling.
Your statements have me ROFLMAO

" the Jeti-DS16 is not only the safest transmitter on the market but it is also one of the smoothest. Whilst we use a Spektrum DX8 for a camera control, we will not use one for the pilot’s link due to its safety record – unlike 90% of our competitors."

hjls3

Carapau - I would think that 100lbs of thrust has quite a bit todo with airframe. If your power train is making that kind of thrust - you need the frame to be able to handle it. s800 is example of crappy frame with too much power and weight. While I agree that there is certainly a kick *** bling feature to that frame, i don't think PH did that too be blingy - they did it because it functions well. Not lucky enough too have laid my hands on this particular frame but I do own a Gryphon. Not that they are too comparable, but the gryphon does use a similar layout and I can certainly tell the difference in the way it flies as compared too the other birds Ive owned including cinestar and DW stuff. I guess Im trying to say that I beleive the frame can make all the difference in the world - especially with the kind of power Kloner is talking about. IMHO very few frames could handle 100lbs of thrust.

But that has nothing to do with the airframe and everything to do with the power train???

Just playing devil's advocate here- the frames do look the mutts nuts so it would be great to see what your thoughts are once you have flown it a few times. It would be great to be proven wrong on my view of all bling but not much else!

kloner

Aerial DP
No we bought it all..... in anticipation of exemption

it was this or that other airframe big black whatever for $25k

Carapau

Carapau - I would think that 100lbs of thrust has quite a bit todo with airframe. If your power train is making that kind of thrust - you need the frame to be able to handle it.

Fair point but according to Photohigher's website the Halo 8 is rated for a 6-8kg payload so I wonder how robust this thing is with a 55lb all up weight.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'll show us what it does cause i'm curious too.... when this thing was designed a u5 or 3520/4014 was the biggest motor available.... that all changed this season. when something is out of the manufacturers chart you become a test pilot and that's what i do best