Another A2 Failure

Old Man

The bird was a test bed so the crash wasn't too expensive. Discovery frame, s800 arms for quad configuration, 600kV motors, and of course the never to be forgotten A2. Losing the home built Go Pro gimbal up front was a bit of a disappointment. Flew great in manual and Atti but tried a POI entry to see how it compared to another FC we tried out tonight and it made half an orbit around the point before entering a sideways roll that hit the ground before we could switch back into a manual mode, Seems anything that slaves to GPS with the A2 is a very high risk mode of operation. It had only been a point of discussion but an absolute decision was made tonight to never, ever use any DJI FC for any craft that is built with serious or professional intent.

Attachments

• A2 Bye-Bye.jpg
    A2 Bye-Bye.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 283

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
My take on this:

A2: Have no personal experience of it but judging by the posts on this forum it is not fit for purpose.
WKM: Having had over 80 flights with no problems on FW 5.20 then I think it works as advertised (for me FW 5.26 has GPS issues).
Naza V2: Problem with fast forward flight in Atti or GPS mode where the controller resets it's level.

Just purchased a Mikrocopter 2.5 FC and I'm going to see if that works as advertised :nevreness:

Jumpy07

How do you know it was an A2 issue.. ? many things can cause crashes.. have you done a full investigation..? do you have any logs from iOSD ?

Old Man

Huh? Your A2 craft crashed so the NAZA and WKM are also bad?

Ben,

It's not this one instance that has generated the aversion to purchasing and using more DJI flight controllers. We do have a couple of Wookongs that work and have worked well for a very long time but those are never flown in a mode that slaves with GPS and they use older software versions since several of the later DJI upgrades introduced faults in the control functions.

What purges future DJI products from the line up is the issues experienced obtaining tech service from DJI, their general outlook relative to their customers, the lack of vendor support for customers, and a quite repetitive history of FC failures specific to the A2. Also considered is the large number of fly aways and "flips of death" with their other flight control units. Agreed, many of the fly aways could have been prevented had the users exited a GPS flight mode or used a failsafe but the issue isn't what the customer should do to over come a flight controller fault. A user makes a purchase with the belief the product being purchased is manufacturer vetted and suitable for the intended task with a high degree of assurance that is established at the manufacturer level. In a sense your question should be answered in the affirmative since DJI has done little or nothing to mitigate the design defects in their flight controllers.

DJI makes some really nice "accessory" products. Gimbals, Lightbridge, etc., but those products are designed and marketed to be married to one of their flight controllers. Great concept and assures the manufacture a steady revenue stream, but only if the flight controller keeps the bird in the air or functions as it should in other areas. If the flight controller fails it takes everything else with it. I don't know the value of the items you carry under or on top of your aircraft but DJI FC failures have put a lot of other people's money in the dirt and DJI has done nothing to mitigate the losses or the risks associated with the ues of their flight controllers. It's one thing to lose a few thousand $$ through human error but it's a completely different situation to repeatedly lose thousands of $$ through the continued use pf a product line that has repeatedly demonstrated design defects that are being ignored or avoided by the manufacturer. Business and flight are all about minimizing risk through risk management. Removing products that have a high failure rate from your equipment list is good risk management. If those products are also associated with a manufacturer that is unresponsive to component failures and provides a warranty that is virtually impossible for the customer to exercise, and uses vendors unable or reluctant to support the products post sale you have doubled the justification for product elimination.

For a little more effort there are much better flight controllers to be had. Agreed, one has to do a little more shopping for things like gimbals and video broadcast systems that have to be fitted to the aircraft and system but the end cost of the mission ready bird ends up about the same as one loaded up with DJI accessories. Perhaps less than the DJI bird because your gimbal could tolerate more than a single camera and lens. The only reason I can see to continue use of DJI stuff would be brand loyalty. That's a pretty dumb reason to buy something. It's like someone buying toasters that fail every fourth time you use the, then buying another and another hoping for a different outcome. That sort of defines idiocy. Advertising does dot make a product good. Quality starts in design and engineering and an 80% engineering solution falls 19% short of what is needed for safe flight.

I also have 20+ years of experience with the Chinese hobby grade product manufacturers and understand their standard business model all too well. DJI is just repeating history, making their processes and procedures with product defects predictable. It's not going to get better, and that lack of concern for the product and customer is what will bar us from using our airspace for commercial operations after new regulations become known.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Fair enough. I am a little biased having flown NAZA (V1) and WKM for a couple of years without incident, and they have earned me quite a bit of money also.

I only really see major problems reported with the A2.

Old Man

Have an old Naza in a Cinestar and it functions reliably, so there's reason to continue using it. Too many recent Naza and Wookong units have demonstrated issues so there's no reason to purchase more. What changed? The maker is unresponsive to inquiries and uses an inaccessible code so there's virtually no way to investigate without massive capital expenditure.

cootertwo

I have 8 Naza Lite's flying well, no problems, however I did just have to return one unit for replacement as it was acting "strange" like maybe something inside was loose. The dealer I purchased it from (All e RC) gave me no trouble, and my replacement is on it's way. But I'm not into this hobby to make money, just having fun.