Flight Controllers down under

Which Flight Controller?

• Total voters

Fat Corgi

I'm shopping around for a new Flight Controller. I've only ever dealt with the NAZA systems, and have had no problems so far (knock on wood). I fly mostly in Attitude Mode or occasionally GPS mode, and will most likely continue to. Kitting out a larger flat 8, for use in Aerial Photography. I remember reading that the Wookong's use to have issues with the Southern Hemisphere, but that was resolved. I'm sure people have a passionate opinions on this topic, and it has been discussed ad nauseam, but am interested in a more local opinion.

Av8Chuck

I'm from Geelong, but I live in California so I'm not really local. Switching flight controllers can be a never ending source of frustration.

How much camera do you hope to carry? In the entertainment industry here in California there has been a trend for "bigger" Octo's. Its a **** thing... Most of the people building these things are d.... I digress.

I really like the HFPro board but it was big and expensive and I'm not sure you can get them. They were very smooth flying in manual but they lacked a lot of the functionality that today everyone expects, GPS, Position and Hold etc..

The SuperX flies almost as well as the HFPro but has really good POH and GPS. I've never flown one but I always here good things about MicroKopter but they are pricey. I don't think the Wooking-M get's you that much more functionality than the NAZA, especially considering the price.

So my suggestion would be either Microkopter or SuperX depending on how much weight you want to carry and how much you want to spend.

min0nim

I have a Naza which is fine, but was really interested in the almost universal praise for Hoverfly's smooth manual mode. I ordered a board and GPS from them, it delivered pretty quickly. The GPS puck is the new one that Bart discusses in the Hoverfly board, which seems to be a big improvement, and provides reasonable RTH and other GPS modes. GPS is emergency mode for me - if I've totally lost track of orientation - so I don't mind it being simple.

However, I'm having real problems with my HFP, and the states is a long way away if you really need to get help, support or a return.

I don't think that an A2 or Wookong would necessarily have been any better, but at least I know I could get an exchange or return quickly if sourcing from a local supplier.

I haven't given up on the HFP yet, but as the days drag on without much of a peep from Hoverfly support my patience is starting to wear....

Av8Chuck

Unfortunately Hoverfly has just kind of evaporated. They used to be all over the forums, they were proactive with their support then one day they were just kind of gone. I was surprised you could still order the HFPro, especially with GPS.

All of the controllers are different, you just have to find the one that works best for you. Sorry for the cliche but its just kind of how it is. The thing that I liked about the HFPro was that it was a really honest controller, it always did what I expected/told it to do and it was really smooth. The only controller that I've found that fly's just about as well and that has been rock solid is the SuperX. Unfortunately support for the SuperX in the US is waning, at least from their official distributor.

But I hear that support for it in Australia is very good so you might want to take a look at that.

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
WKM any day of the week if you want a straightforward setup :02.47-tranquillity: FW 5.20 I would recommend...

Des

Hi folks,
just found this forum and see the action from OZ is pretty light on. No matter..my 2 cents worth is NAZA M V2. Not sure what's not "straightforward" in the set up of the Naza FC, as I found it super easy. Tarot 680Pro E600's, Ground Station, Sony NEX5N, but moving to the 810 with a Panasonic GH4 soon. WKM is very good from those I know who use them too.

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
If I'm not all wrong, The NAZA can not both control eight motors and a gimbal at the same time. There are eight ports out, the last two can be either motors or gimbal control.

Des

Your right unless you are using the DJI H3-3D and CGU Unit. The gimbal connection back to the Naza M is via the Can Port and this leaves F1 and F2 available connection of motors 7 and 8. Here's how that looks.View attachment 23460

Attachments

• navaMV2.png
    navaMV2.png
    54 KB · Views: 325