XAircraft My Xaircraft SuperX Experience and Observations

Aerovideo

While this is not a step by step setup these are my initial thoughts upon setting up a SuperX.

The Super X comes in an Apple-like packaging which was pretty impressive. The casing is aluminum and looks impressive. It's a little on the heavy side but it's nice and compact and the IO module is a nice feature.

The drawback of the casing is there's no way to bolt it down, instead they use double sided tape to secure the FC down. This seems like a bad idea, my initial placement was off a bit so readjusting was difficult. Would be nicer to just have a way to bolt it down in exact position, oh well. They also have you secure the GPS puck with double sided tape to the aluminum pole, again this seems so temporary.

For some strange reason the cable that is included to power the system has the same JST plug end on it that a battery does, which seemed odd to me. Even if their excuse is that on their own x650 quad the wiring harness is setup this way. So you will need to solder your own power cord unless you plan to fly with one of their setups. Once I had made my own power cable I was able to hook it up to the computer.

I thought I had read somewhere that this supported the Mac but it doesn't. I had to run windows on my Mac to access the exe file on the flight controller. Interesting that there's nothing to install, the FC acts as a storage device with it's own software installed on it, that's pretty cool. I verified quad mode, normal escs, and saw all the gains were set to 1.0, I just left this. Firmware Version 1.08 was installed by Drew from Xaircraft America for me.

On all my other setups I've used the 3 wire servo cable to get power from the throttle channel to my Rx and just had single wires for the rest of the channels. This didn't work for some reason with the Xaircraft IO block. I had to use 3 wire cables on all the channels to get my EZUHF Rx to power up. These wires were included and they are nice braided servo wires which is nice but just a little heavier than it needs to be. I like my single wire Rx cable setups better, but that's nit picking.

Once I got the receiver working I was able to do the RC calibration which wasn't hard just a little weird. Having to hold both sticks and fast toggle the flight mode switch required some finger dexterity but it's definitely doable.

Lastly was the compass calibration. This seems a little more difficult than it needs to be but after several tries of spinning it and turning it I finally got it right, I think. One thing I like about my previous FC is the audible feedback instead of the blindingly bright LED blinking of the Super X which I couldn't see sometimes as it was out of view while rotating in certain directions. Beeps would be nice.

I was then ready to fly, or so I thought :)

I set it out on the driveway and powered it up. I was presented with a double blinking red LED. A quick check of the manual says this means it's in safe mode or RTH. Hmmm, I like all the switches in my radio to be up/back so I needed to reverse the gear channel so back was RTH off instead of RTH on. After that was fixed I was presented with the double green blinking which meant I was in GPS flight mode. So I had to reverse the flight mode channel as well so default back was manual mode and flipping the switch to the middle was attitude mode and flipping it all the way forward was now GPS mode.

Now I was ready to fly!

I pulled the sticks down and out to arm the quad and the props started spinning, a lot faster than I thought they would. Not sure if I like having the props spinning as an indicator of armed but I guess I'll get used to it.

I raised the throttle and lifted it off the ground in manual mode, tossed it around a bit. Flew some small circles in my front yard and it seemed to perform really well and felt like what I was used too.

I flipped the switch to attitude mode, tried tossing it around but as expected it would level itself out. It didn't seem to fight me like I've seen in my previous FC. The auto leveling was quick and true, no oscillations. This is with the default gains as well as my dial on my Dx8 radio in the middle so basically no adjustment if I understand how this works correctly. So that's good. It did seem to drift around a bit more than I thought it might in auto level mode but nothing terrible. Altitude hold was AMAZING. I had my quad only a few feet off the ground and it held the altitude perfectly, even in the ground effect. This was fantastic.

Finally I flipped the switch to GPS mode and prepared to flip it back really quick if it started drifting towards something. But WOW, it held its spot. I mean held its spot, it didn't move anywhere, STUNNING! I definitely was not used to GPS performance like this. It was crazy good. Granted it was a cold, calm, winter afternoon but still, WOW.

So I'll withhold final flight performance judgement until I get a chance to really open this thing up flying FPV in some fast forward flight and sweeping turns to see how it handles, but initial impressions are quite good.

I think I'm going to need more of these!

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Maybe I could add balance to a couple of your points just for those new who are trying to make a decision.

The drawback of the casing is there's no way to bolt it down, instead they use double sided tape to secure the FC down. This seems like a bad idea, my initial placement was off a bit so readjusting was difficult. Would be nicer to just have a way to bolt it down in exact position, oh well. They also have you secure the GPS puck with double sided tape to the aluminum pole, again this seems so temporary.

Can't see the point of bolting it down and don't know of many other FC's that don't get stuck down, it provides a small degree on anti vibration which is a good thing.

On all my other setups I've used the 3 wire servo cable to get power from the throttle channel to my Rx and just had single wires for the rest of the channels. This didn't work for some reason with the Xaircraft IO block. I had to use 3 wire cables on all the channels to get my EZUHF Rx to power up. These wires were included and they are nice braided servo wires which is nice but just a little heavier than it needs to be. I like my single wire Rx cable setups better, but that's nit picking.

This is a Radio RX thing, I have a FRsky and it gets powered from the first or second input users choice, other systems I have setup mainly Walkera have all had a 3 wire servo plug, Grnd, Pwr and signal, again you would have to look at your RX circuit diagram to understand that.

Once I got the receiver working I was able to do the RC calibration which wasn't hard just a little weird. Having to hold both sticks and fast toggle the flight mode switch required some finger dexterity but it's definitely doable.

You should see the Walkera calibration act!

Lastly was the compass calibration. This seems a little more difficult than it needs to be but after several tries of spinning it and turning it I finally got it right, I think. One thing I like about my previous FC is the audible feedback instead of the blindingly bright LED blinking of the Super X which I couldn't see sometimes as it was out of view while rotating in certain directions. Beeps would be nice.

Again the manufacturer trying to use a known method that the majority of users would have, the primary mode switch common to most radios, and of course you can put the LED where ever you want temporarily to do the calibration, just requires a little pre-planning, it is recommended the calibration be done out side! so how loud should the beeps be? do you need to find a quiet place or will noisy do? no! I think LED covers most situations.

I believe every manufacturer has their own way of dealing with set-ups, the end result and performance is what counts.

David

ary

It flew nice & precise. No return home fail.
But, it's still sitting on my sofa. Can't put it on my octo+heavy rig. I still need a course lock/home lock. What can we do if esc fail/prop break/motor fail?

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
It flew nice & precise. No return home fail.
But, it's still sitting on my sofa. Can't put it on my octo+heavy rig. I still need a course lock/home lock. What can we do if esc fail/prop break/motor fail?

I don't know what model of Super X you have but mine has Fail Safe and RTH, if radio impulse lost vehicle will return to take off position provided at take off you had satellite connections.

If lost orientation, out of site or just lazy you can flick a switch and have the vehicle Return To Home, positions as above.

If esc fails prop flies off arm breaks battery drops off or fails then Super X and frame/camera it is attached too will come falling down, no if and buts, we need parachutes people!

David

Electro 2

I think I'm going to need more of these!

Wait till you get the gains correctly tuned, you'll be blown away. I published the radio channel setup for Spektrum radios here, IIRC. Included reversals, etc. I suppose I should do the one for Futaba, too. I have Super Xs on both aircraft and both radios.

Aerovideo

Hey David, thanks for some of the counter points, good stuff indeed. I just have a couple myself. Just to reiterate, overall I am very impressed with the SuperX, sorry if that didn't come across in my post :)

Can't see the point of bolting it down and don't know of many other FC's that don't get stuck down, it provides a small degree on anti vibration which is a good thing.

Actually the only other FC I have that doesn't bolt down is my old GU344 :) Although I don't own any DJI gear, they probably all have stickers to hold them down too. I doubt there's much vibration dampening though ;)

This is a Radio RX thing, I have a FRsky and it gets powered from the first or second input users choice, other systems I have setup mainly Walkera have all had a 3 wire servo plug, Grnd, Pwr and signal, again you would have to look at your RX circuit diagram to understand that.

This Rx has been setup with a 3 wire plug to only the throttle channel and just individual signal wires to the rest for years so I know it's not an Rx problem in my situation.

On a side note, It's really cool they support the Futaba single cable setup, SBUS, would be nice if they also supported a PPM single cable setup as well.

Again the manufacturer trying to use a known method that the majority of users would have, the primary mode switch common to most radios, and of course you can put the LED where ever you want temporarily to do the calibration, just requires a little pre-planning, it is recommended the calibration be done out side! so how loud should the beeps be? do you need to find a quiet place or will noisy do? no! I think LED covers most situations.

My last flight controller had both an LED and Audible beeps, this would cover both :)
Again, just recounting my experience. That LED is AMAZINGLY bright and I had a hard time looking at it close up while handling the compass calibrations, I'm old :)

I believe every manufacturer has their own way of dealing with set-ups, the end result and performance is what counts.

David

I couldn't agree more, and the GPS and Altitude hold performance far surpassed my expectations even on my first test flight.

Aerovideo

Wait till you get the gains correctly tuned, you'll be blown away. I published the radio channel setup for Spektrum radios here, IIRC. Included reversals, etc. I suppose I should do the one for Futaba, too. I have Super Xs on both aircraft and both radios.

To be honest I'm not sure if this setup will need much if any tuning. I didn't see any oscillations and it seemed really stable. Fast forward flight will tell though :)

My Rx is actually an EZUHF but the Host radio is a Dx8, so the spektrum setup guide would probably have been applicable :) Now you tell me... hehe

Electro 2

To be honest I'm not sure if this setup will need much if any tuning. I didn't see any oscillations and it seemed really stable. Fast forward flight will tell though :)

Nuh uh, trust me, there's gold in them there hills, don't fail to crank those gains unit you can elicit oscillation on the high side by adding a dollop of radio gain, then you're there. Then fly on a very windy day, when there's no trace of loop instability in high wind hold, but any addition of radio gain brings it on, you're there. This effect is particularly notable on smaller machines. On the biggie, I can't seem to find a point at which it will actually go into oscillation !

Aerovideo

Attachments

• IMG_2177.jpg
    IMG_2177.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2180.jpg
    IMG_2180.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 367

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
That LED is AMAZINGLY bright and I had a hard time looking at it close up while handling the compass calibrations, I'm old :)

We certainly agree on this, hurts my eyes to look at it so I have it angled to the ground and look at the reflection, and I bet I'm older :highly_amused: Merry Christmas

David

VIQuad

Sweet rig.

Nice videos Paul.

Its fun to hear about others having a great first experience with the SuperX and how surprised they are with it.
I feel like so many people just default to DJI flight controllers when building a rig. Little do they know there is another GREAT flight controller out there that's easy to setup right out of the box, and more importantly doesn't just randomly fly-away out of control with all your expensive gear...ha:highly_amused:

Aerovideo

We certainly agree on this, hurts my eyes to look at it so I have it angled to the ground and look at the reflection, and I bet I'm older :highly_amused: Merry Christmas

David

David, good to hear I'm not the only one blinded by the light... hehe :)

I'm always surprised at the range of ages I come across in this hobby. Young kids all the way up to Grandpas!

Hope you have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as well!

I look forward to getting assistance in the future.

Sweet rig.

Nice videos Paul.

Its fun to hear about others having a great first experience with the SuperX and how surprised they are with it.
I feel like so many people just default to DJI flight controllers when building a rig. Little do they know there is another GREAT flight controller out there that's easy to setup right out of the box, and more importantly doesn't just randomly fly-away out of control with all your expensive gear...ha:highly_amused:

I've been a staunch Hoverfly Pro FC user for years but they've gone silent and have fallen behind, thus my search for a new flight controller. A buddy of mine has a couple of Naza's and I've been REALLY impressed with their performance but every time I check online there's a new flyaway. I just couldn't bring myself to order one, so I began searching. Basically looking for a FC with super smooth manual flight and the GPS features for "just in case." Came down to APM and SuperX and since I was an art major not an engineering major way back in the day I opted for the easiest one to setup :)

If this thing flies well in fast FPV flight, I'll be a staunch supporter. As it stands I'm already impressed by the GPS features, WOW!

It's also nice to have an active forum with others using the same gear to get help.

Aerovideo

Where did you get the dome and how big is it ?

Oh man I ordered that dome long ago... sorry I can't remember where. It's not very strong, I think it's made out of the same material 2 liter pop containers come in. Very flexible not rigid. Keeps the rain out though.

Sorry, not much help :(

Aerovideo

Holy crap that guy is carrying a Sony Nex camera with an x650 quad?

Nice flying indeed. Hopefully I'll get a chance to take mine out tomorrow and give it a go!

Last edited by a moderator: