DJI Naza power woes

Jimmydaux

Good morning! Im glad to finally be posting on the site after a long time lurking. Sadly, at the same time, I am bummed that I have to post as this is in regards to an issue that I am having.

I am putting together an F550 to dable with some AP and have been peicing together my setup. I got my Naza v2 first, and got it programmed to my remote without having any of the ESCs hooked up to it. I was able to dial in the failsafe switches and such.

When I first powered up, I used the v-sen output from the PMU and plugged it into the receiver to give it power ( I now know this is not needed. THe PMU EXP would fire up the Naza just fine without having the v-sen plugged into the x3 port on the Naza. It would constantly say that it had low voltage but it would still fire up. After messing with trying to get the naza to work on a small quad, the Naza will now no longer power up with just the EXP plug and require that the v-sen plug be plugged into the x3 port. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong or did I do something to cause some issues with the NAZA?

Jimmydaux

Anyone? Pretty please? If you were to run power to the pmu and only plug in the exp plug and led and nothing else. .. no receiver inputs, no motor output, no vsen to x3, would the naza power up?

As simple as I can put it, does the exp plug provide voltage to the naza or does it realy on the vsen plugged into the x3 port?

Jimmydaux

I will PayPal $5 to the first person who performs this experiment on a known working system and let's me know the results :)

Tahoe Ed

No worries on the $5 paypal. You need to have the PMU vsen to X3. I don't know if you have battery warning set up in Assistant. That could be part of your problem. I am not sure why you are reluctant to make the connection? The EXP is the Can Bus port and yes it does supply power to the local network of devices, but it was never intended to power the Naza and the receiver.

Jimmydaux

Thank you for your response Ed, it is very much appreciated. Let me know if you change your mind on my reward offer :)

I have no issues with plugging the V-Sen into the X3 Port. I have left it unplugged to try to isolate my perceived problem.

If it is true that the Exp plug was never meant to power the Naza FC, then this may all be a non issue. The thing that had me concerned is that my initial radio setup was done with the V-Sen cable not plugged into the x3 port. I was/am a complete noob and thought that the V-sen plug was intended to power the receiver.

Is it possible that the Naza was powering up without the x3 port due to the power going through the receiver and then back into the Naza via the servo cable connection from receiver to Naza? The Naza also seems to get power from the ESC plugs. If everything seems normal and working as they should, please say I'm crazy and i will resign to the fact that everything is ok and put this issue to bed :)

I know I seem paranoid, but I get a little gun shy to send close to a $1000 of ground/crash sensitive equipment into the air to "try it out".

Tahoe Ed

If you are using the stock DJI escs then they have no built in BEC. No power there. I do understand. When I put my S800 in the air I am looking at over $6k. The pucker factor goes up significantly. I will say if you fly it, you will crash it at some point in time. It happens. I have crashed my S800 due to pilot error. We learn from every crash, the more expensive it is, the better we learn. Find a nice wide open field with grass and have some fun. Just don't get crazy until you get comfortable with the flight characteristics. My son has a Phantom and he was showing off in a parking lot and did $100 of damage when he did an inverted landing, unintentional I might add.

Jimmydaux

I'm using afro escs and they definitely have a bec so there is some power coming from those. I will likely just try it out and see if I fail.

I'm not excited to crash with my bigger rig but it's bound to happen. I did buy a cheap little 450 size hack job quad that I'm using as my crash rig. I figure that will help me get some of the learning crashes under my belt on a cheaper machine. It's worked so far :)

Jimmydaux

This needs to be done even on naza v2? I don't recall anything I'm the manual that said anything about removing the red wire.

It has been flying fine on 3s, but when I try 4s it has very inconsistent throttle and jumps all over the place. Any chance the afro bec is causing these flight characteristics?

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
DJI assume that you are using DJI opto ESC's and they do not need the red disconnected.

I am using 30A Afro ESC's with 4S on a TBS Discovery Pro, so far they have performed flawlessly on 4S, perhaps a calibration of the ESC's will help.

Pete

genesc

Did you flash your Afro's Pete?

Thank you
Gene

DJI assume that you are using DJI opto ESC's and they do not need the red disconnected.

I am using 30A Afro ESC's with 4S on a TBS Discovery Pro, so far they have performed flawlessly on 4S, perhaps a calibration of the ESC's will help.

Pete