Zero UAV Zero UAV YS-X6 [Owners Thread] *Autopilot system for multirotors*

john420

john in just put in the whole number ie 16. I will have to back through the manual for fail safe setup , but when you think about it as long as you have got a good wifi link your phone is a pretty good backup if your tx runs out of range
Johnno,
I just found in the manual it says if the magnetic field says East u enter - but u can see in the magnetic declination that u just copied and pasted it says positive I do not know which one also there is two more things that I just updated with new firmware and I cannot start the motor from Tx I always have to go to GC press unlock motor and then motor start and the other thing when I turn off the Tx while the motor are running then they all suddenly stop so it means if the tx get out of range with the copter it will shut itself off and fall down like a hunted duck

johnno

I just found in the manual it says if the magnetic field says East u enter - but u can see in the magnetic declination that u just copied and pasted it says positive I do not know which one also there is two more things that I just updated with new firmware and I cannot start the motor from Tx I always have to go to GC press unlock motor and then motor start and the other thing when I turn off the Tx while the motor are running then they all suddenly stop so it means if the tx get out of range with the copter it will shut itself off and fall down like a hunted duck

There is a Declintion program you can get on the net aannd yo put in your Lat and Longtitude and it will give you the Compass variation and you put in the degrees only not degrees and minutes.

What verion of firmware did you download I think I am running the latest version....Johnno.

john420

There is a Declintion program you can get on the net aannd yo put in your Lat and Longtitude and it will give you the Compass variation and you put in the degrees only not degrees and minutes.

What verion of firmware did you download I think I am running the latest version....Johnno.

I am using the last version i checked the other forum lots of people had complain about this firmware because the motor does not arm with this new one my y6 is the P version and I did not see anything about the P version in download section

koleos60

I am using the last version i checked the other forum lots of people had complain about this firmware because the motor does not arm with this new one my y6 is the P version and I did not see anything about the P version in download section

do not download the latest version of firmwere engines do not work

johnno

Hello Johonno
My X6 is the YS-P Version.
I have updated to the latest Firmwere but now they arm the motors do not work.
You know something?

Hi koleos60, I have looked around the net and others are having same problems my x6 is a very early version plus it's on the steadi so we are running different firmware, my only thought would be to go back and try to load previous version of firmware or wait till a bug fix sorry can't be of more help.johnno.

koleos60

OK Thank you very much Johnno
I think I wait for zero wakes up to fix this problem.
I never mandated to zero, but I see that slam it for customers in difficulty

johnno

OK Thank you very much Johnno
I think I wait for zero wakes up to fix this problem.
I never mandated to zero, but I see that slam it for customers in difficulty

there re seems to many people with the same problem so I guess they will get onto it fairly quickly, good luck JohnnoJohnno

koleos60

Johnno Hello, This is the reply of Peter from Zero.

hi my friend .
i am peter ,
the name ise2012 is my User name of rc group .
last firmwere changed :.
1, add the safe check . that means the user need setup the fail safe of rc tx . if you do not do it ,
you can not arm motors .
the correct step : setup the rc tx fail safe right .when you disable the rc tx , the flight mode will
show the auto land in the gcs ,
then enable the rc tx , arm motors and push a little throttle , the real throttle output will not
show zero .
peter

AUsome

Not yet an owner, but SERIOUSLY thinking this might be what I'm looking for. I'm still perhaps more confused by all the options out there, but the YS-XP-P seems to be answering a lot of concerns and I just now realized it even exists. I'm hoping that someone can help me make a decision. I am in the US...I only see HobbyKing carrying this...would like to check out other sources for comparison if they exist in the US. Anyone know of other US sellers? I think I want to start with a RTF/ARF copter rather than building my own, but anything is possible. BUT, like I said, I am new to this and more confused with all that is available and maybe for that reason, better to start with a RTF/ARF model, but one that is not TOO basic.

Also, know that I am just beginning to learn about multicopters, so please give me a break if questions I ask are lame...it is not intentional.

Here are some questions:
1. There have been some bad reviews regarding lack of customer support. These were old...is this still a problem?
2. YS-XP owners: how reliable and durable is this? Is this a quality item that isn't always going down for need of service? How hard to get it set-up?
3. Will I have any trouble adding on other items, like FPV? Are there any proprietary concerns? Is it still very limited in what transmitters it will work with?
4. What kind of range will I have between the android device and the copter? Can this be improved by a specific type of antenna or in other ways?
5. What type of connection is there between the android device and the copter? Wi-fi? Does the android device need to have a phone signal (where I live, phone service can be spotty). Or does the android device simply make a wi-fi connection to the copter and not need cell service?
6. Will ANY android device work? Tablet/phone? Does it have a be a specific OS?
7. If the answer to #4 is that the range is somewhat limited (I think I saw that it is not much more than 60 meters)...I assume that using a transmitter will extend the range (if so, then how far and again, can a better antenna make this range greater). I would like something with around 1000m range via transmitter, but if the android connection is not much more than 60m, I can live with that for "close in work".
8. What happens if for some reason the android (or transmitter if using one) loses contact with the copter, for whatever reason. Does the copter RTH or safe land, or what?
9. Last question for now. What originally caught my interest in this hobby, was when I came across a video pre-promoting the soon release of the DJI Vision. I did not have a clue that multicopters existed, much less had the capability they have. As a decent amateur photographer, I immediately saw the potential of this vehicle in photography AND, the capabilities of the Vision were pretty nice, but the YS-XP seems to take what the Vision offers...to a much greater level. My biggest concern is, I guess, why it is that this is NOT the device that all others, like DJI, are trying to beat as it seems pretty incredible...am I wrong in feeling this way?

AUsome

It appears zerouav.net is no longer online. Does anyone know if this company is still in business, or are vendors just selling out old stock?

AUsome

I tried to use the hotspot function; set the SSID and password and even got the blue light to lit on the WLAN module, but the phone isn't receiving any data. Probably because the hotspot doesn't allow me to set the IP adress. I'm using a Galaxy S i9000.

Anywayz, I ordered the router, hopefully it will make things easier :)

Please excuse this newbie for a probably stupid question. I think I understand the use of the router and why it is the best way to make this system work, but I am having trouble understanding HOW a router fits in with a process that is supposed to be able to be used virtually anywhere. How can you run a router if you are out in the boondocks where there is no power to drive/power the router? Where I live, being in the boonies (away from civilization) generally means no phone cell service either. If I understand, it might still be possible to have a direct android to copter connection, but it won't be as good as via wi-fi, but that goes back to the initial concern...ie the problem running a router where there is no electrical power. Am I missing something here? Are there battery powered routers? If not, how does this system function anywhere but where there is good power to run a router?

TIA

johnno

Please excuse this newbie for a probably stupid question. I think I understand the use of the router and why it is the best way to make this system work, but I am having trouble understanding HOW a router fits in with a process that is supposed to be able to be used virtually anywhere. How can you run a router if you are out in the boondocks where there is no power to drive/power the router? Where I live, being in the boonies (away from civilization) generally means no phone cell service either. If I understand, it might still be possible to have a direct android to copter connection, but it won't be as good as via wi-fi, but that goes back to the initial concern...ie the problem running a router where there is no electrical power. Am I missing something here? Are there battery powered routers? If not, how does this system function anywhere but where there is good power to run a router?

TIA

Hi Ausome,
Man have you got a day or 2 to answer all those question?

Lets go backwards, the Router is a range extender and you can connect from your phone whatever tablet via the router, voltage required for most of the routers is around 9 to 12 volts DC so a decent Battery will cover that problem.

You dont need the router but you will have a range issue this can be fixed, if you dont what to go down the Router Path you use 2 Data TX-RX units typically on 900MKHZ simply put one on the Copter and one on the ground with the wifi unit that was previously in the copter you will then get line of site communication.

ZeroNav is alive and well with a brand new Web Site http://www.zerouav.com/en/news/release/439.html

Ok your Questions:
1 all companies DJI,ZeroNav all have issues with support you read about it in forums all the time, I dont deal direct (I am in Australia) I deal with the supplier who (lucky me) is from the mother country so speaks their jive and he hassles but again no worse than the opposition. ( before I go one I have DJI product as well as UAV Zero and havent really had any problems I have has crashes with both products)
2 the hardware is very well made.
3 you shouldnt have any problems with FPV if you are flying 2.4GHZ then keep off that frequencie for your FPV something like 5.8ghz
4 you will see a lot of antennas and anything with some gain will improve the only proble is your phone or tablet bit hard to get into.
5 been answered
6 UAV work with android and apple (the apple has to be jail breaked voids warranty some say not reversable) I have a Tablet and a phone both work phone is better outside in sun.
7 as far as range wifi only I have not flown yet just transmitter but the phone never stopped (it has a voice tells you how high you are and warns you about low battery.
8 if you lose tx signal you programme in to return home (FailSafe)
9 I have a Steadi from UAV as a Camera platform using Sony NEX series camera shooting high Def Video this machine comes with Gimbal to get rid of shakes and jello.
I Started on a small machine and got bigger I bought a Scarab made in aus very robust good training someone else will say XYZ is better your choice this is an expensive hobby so be prepared to through a bit on mony at it in the long run it is rewarding and such a buzz some say its better than sex.
Cheers, Johnno.

john420

Hi guys I could not set the return home switch to work and the same as turning Tx off and the Hexacopter return back home
I turned my Hexa on ,then I placed the throttle on the mid point then turned ch6 switch to rerun home then what happened the motor stooped so if it happens in the sky then it is gonna fall down like hunted duck but when I turned off my Futaba 10c when the throttle was in the mid again nothing happened in Naza the motor get speed by itself then slowing down and stops when the copter land so can some one tell me what i did wrong I have the y6p version with the new firmware and a 10c Futaba thanks

alsoares

I've just finished building my octocopter and it is flying great with an ys-x6, manual mode and will be soon testing gps mode. One thing I'm a bit concerned, however, is that 'motor reverse imbalance' message. It sometimes shows that message, sometimes not, and the moment when the message shows up more frequently is when the octo is hovering smoothly around 3 to 4 meters high, the propellers are spinning more silently and the octo seems to be just floating with no effort.

One thing I noticed when I land and check motors temperature with an infrared tester is that the four counter-clockwise motors are hotter than the other ones that spin clockwise. Is this normal? could this issue be related to that reverse motor imbalance message?
CCW motors temp is around 50 C, and CW motors 38 C.

By the way, what is the meaning of that reverse motor imbalance msg, is it telling me that one of the 4 CCW motors is unbalanced? I searched this thread looking for a detailed answer, but couldn't find any.

My APC 12x38 props are well balanced with a dubro spin balancer(horizontal and vertical balancing) and took me some time to pre-check motors balance before mounting them on the octo.

johnno

I've just finished building my octocopter and it is flying great with an ys-x6, manual mode and will be soon testing gps mode. One thing I'm a bit concerned, however, is that 'motor reverse imbalance' message. It sometimes shows that message, sometimes not, and the moment when the message shows up more frequently is when the octo is hovering smoothly around 3 to 4 meters high, the propellers are spinning more silently and the octo seems to be just floating with no effort.

One thing I noticed when I land and check motors temperature with an infrared tester is that the four counter-clockwise motors are hotter than the other ones that spin clockwise. Is this normal? could this issue be related to that reverse motor imbalance message?
CCW motors temp is around 50 C, and CW motors 38 C.

By the way, what is the meaning of that reverse motor imbalance msg, is it telling me that one of the 4 CCW motors is unbalanced? I searched this thread looking for a detailed answer, but couldn't find any.

My APC 12x38 props are well balanced with a dubro spin balancer(horizontal and vertical balancing) and took me some time to pre-check motors balance before mounting them on the octo.

Hi I havnt go an Octo max I have got is a Hex which hasnt flown yet, Reverse Imbalance never heard before have you gone on the net to see for info? failing that might try getting onto ZeroUav Support and see what they have got to say, can you identify which motor it is if you can do a motor swap and see if the error follows. why the CCW are running hotter is new to me also, there is a possibility that one of the 4 that heating up is then going out of balance maybe.
Thats tricky keep in touch let me know how you get on.
Cheers Johnno.

alsoares

Hi I havnt go an Octo max I have got is a Hex which hasnt flown yet, Reverse Imbalance never heard before have you gone on the net to see for info? failing that might try getting onto ZeroUav Support and see what they have got to say, can you identify which motor it is if you can do a motor swap and see if the error follows. why the CCW are running hotter is new to me also, there is a possibility that one of the 4 that heating up is then going out of balance maybe.
Thats tricky keep in touch let me know how you get on.
Cheers Johnno.

Hi johnno, I just got an answer from an rcgroups user, he said that it could be related to one or more motors alignment on the round booms of my octo. I checked it carefully when I was building it, using an Android bubble leveler, but I'm gonna check it again. According to what he said, 2 or more degrees to the left or right may be causing one or more CCW motors to work harder, and that's the reason form the 'reverse motor imbalance' message.

The four CCW motors are heating equally, I mean, their temperature is almost the same and around 50 degrees C, and the other CW motors are working at the same temperature level but a bit smaller, that's curious. Anyway, their temperatures are somehow within the normal range, I don't even think there is an issue related to bad bearings. The two batteries, each weighing around 800g, are placed next to and a bit above the top plate, fixed to the left and right booms, both have CCW motors. I'm also considering the possibility of these two heavy batteries causing any sort of vibration that is affecting balance.

It is impossible to identify which motor could be generating that warning, because the controller isn't specific. The warning just says 'reverse motor imbalance' followed by a number representing the severity of the problem.

By the way, why those motors have to spin counter-clockwise, is it just a matter of eliminating torque generated by the CW motors, or is there another task they perform to stabilize flight?

johnno

Hi johnno, I just got an answer from an rcgroups user, he said that it could be related to one or more motors alignment on the round booms of my octo. I checked it carefully when I was building it, using an Android bubble leveler, but I'm gonna check it again. According to what he said, 2 or more degrees to the left or right may be causing one or more CCW motors to work harder, and that's the reason form the 'reverse motor imbalance' message.

The four CCW motors are heating equally, I mean, their temperature is almost the same and around 50 degrees C, and the other CW motors are working at the same temperature level but a bit smaller, that's curious. Anyway, their temperatures are somehow within the normal range, I don't even think there is an issue related to bad bearings. The two batteries, each weighing around 800g, are placed next to and a bit above the top plate, fixed to the left and right booms, both have CCW motors. I'm also considering the possibility of these two heavy batteries causing any sort of vibration that is affecting balance.

It is impossible to identify which motor could be generating that warning, because the controller isn't specific. The warning just says 'reverse motor imbalance' followed by a number representing the severity of the problem.

By the way, why those motors have to spin counter-clockwise, is it just a matter of eliminating torque generated by the CW motors, or is there another task they perform to stabilize flight?

Hi alsoareas, yes the cw and ccw are to counteract torque, I read some while back the oct and possible the hex they had built in a redundancy factor that if you lose one motor they could counteract the imbalance and at lest give you enough control to land, I have also noticed since someone has built a parachute to save the model instead of burying it in the ground, sound like a great idea.
with your android bubble app you can also get a vibration detector it works well and you could get closer to the affeding motor.
all the best JohnnoJohnno

Has anyone managed to send back a YS-X6 for upgrade to the P version? I understood it was possible but so far I have sent 6 emails to zeroUAV and not received a reply.