Why? Contest entries!

kloner

Aerial DP
you do deserve it..... I'm comin in not knowing a thing about this aspect of multi rotors, never watched any drama, have no favorites, but dude, your stuff stands out

Your going places, knock em dead

nicwilke

Congratulations Ben, and well done to all the contestants. Being beaten is never nice, but having only been into multi-rotors since November last year, it shows how quickly people can advance from nothing.

One thing for sure is I will eventually get one of those XM-6's like Bens and port over all my gear (AV130/skyline, motors and Flight controller) from the ADX-4.... dream machine.

Cheers, now I better go find a dark place and sulk. Hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Hey at least you came in second. I spent an ungodly amount of time getting interviews scheduled, rendering and editing until 1:30 am and I didnt even make it to the top 3, so stop complaining :)

And Ben hasnt been doing this any longer than you have, he is just really damn good at composition and flow and thats why he won. Clean and simple wins over the bling if it isn't done perfectly.

Use your entry as part of your reel and keep at it. If it makes you feel any better, I would have voted for your video as I really liked the animation and you had a pretty good coverage of the hobby.

nicwilke

Hey at least you came in second. I spent an ungodly amount of time getting interviews scheduled, rendering and editing until 1:30 am and I didnt even make it to the top 3, so stop complaining :)

And Ben hasnt been doing this any longer than you have, he is just really damn good at composition and flow and thats why he won. Clean and simple wins over the bling if it isn't done perfectly.

Use your entry as part of your reel and keep at it. If it makes you feel any better, I would have voted for your video as I really liked the animation and you had a pretty good coverage of the hobby.

Oh, I'm not complaining one bit. I'm gracious in defeat. I thought yours was very comprehensive also, and thought the contests was probably going to be in your favor. Bens win was not really a surprise, as when I looked at his show reels, I saw what he'd shot (and I love monster trucks in the mud, LOL) and thought he'll probably get it. I am only a one-man-band with my multi-rotor, I do not use FPV goggles for framing the shot (not yet) and dont have a cameraman (not yet). This hobby/industry is so interesting, I can call work FUN, for a change. I purchased my droidworx frame second hand from a guy in Sydney a few months ago to replace some junk hexa I had. I added new motors, and new controller etc. and started over with the 'good gear' I wanted flat hexa or octo, and am still heading towards that upgrade path. I only just got my photohigher AV130 working with the long awaited Skyline. So, up untill a month ago, I wasnt really 'ready' to do aerial stuff at this level... If anything, the best thing I take away from this contest is getting to know some cool people who post here. I'm sure there will be other contests that we will all compete in. Again, well done everyone.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Anyone notice that DJI has never contributed to these! Nee Hao! And we give them all our money in hopes one of their monthly firmwares will be "the one."

By the way, congratulations Ben. Will you sign my helicopter? :)

nicwilke

Anyone notice that DJI has never contributed to these! Nee Hao! And we give them all our money in hopes one of their monthly firmwares will be "the one."

The YS-X6 system I am using is pretty good. Sadly, I'll not be comparing it to a hoverfly pro any time soon.

J3Cub

Coming in third place, I can’t complain either. Having designed my rigs with some home depot wood and cheap chinese motors, it was amazing to even place in the top three next to you guys with professional rigs. I put everything I had into this video but the smoothness of your guys video is just in a whole other league. As a senior in high school, I made it one of my life goals to own and operate a setup just like the one given away, for the fact that I want to make a career out of aerial cinematography. Either working for a production company, owning my own business or engineering new aircraft. It’s a shame that this perfect opportunity was missed, but I know I will continue with my passion and keep moving forward.<O:p</O:p
Big congrats to Ben and Nic. You guys serve as my inspiration. Some truly amazing footage you guys have filmed and I too loved the animations.
Tucker

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

Yuri!!!!! Are you serious????

YOU WON THE DJI WOOKONG GIVEAWAY WITH YOUR TOILET BOWL ENTRY!

you're right, staying up to 5:30 in the morning last night left you with some serious brain fog!! :) step away from the computer and go get some sleep!

Bartman

Coming in third place, I can’t complain either. Having designed my rigs with some home depot wood and cheap chinese motors, it was amazing to even place in the top three next to you guys with professional rigs. I put everything I had into this video but the smoothness of your guys video is just in a whole other league. As a senior in high school, I made it one of my life goals to own and operate a setup just like the one given away, for the fact that I want to make a career out of aerial cinematography. Either working for a production company, owning my own business or engineering new aircraft. It’s a shame that this perfect opportunity was missed, but I know I will continue with my passion and keep moving forward.<o:p</o
Big congrats to Ben and Nic. You guys serve as my inspiration. Some truly amazing footage you guys have filmed and I too loved the animations.
Tucker

Tucker,
I'm impressed by your work and you're welcome to come shoot with me and fly my rigs whenever you have time. Let's keep in touch and I'll try to give you whatever support I can so you can keep getting better. I received a lot of positive comments about your video and Jake's also. Talent comes out even without the fancy equipment, your entry was a very nice piece of work and I'm sure you'll have plenty more opportunities to hone your skills in the future.
Great job.
Bart

J3Cub

Thanks Bart, I really appreciate it. Hope we can get together soon, work and school is sure keeping me busy. ;)
Tucker
PS, Im pretty sure IrisAerial won the gimbal, not the wookong.

Bartman

yes, you're right about that. I'd have to look it up in the archives to see who won the Wookong. Dallas won the Droidworx frame in the first giveaway, Kookaminti won the Avroto motors, Yuri won the gimbal from Photo Higher, but I can't remember the winner of the Wookong....it was the contest with the 5 buckets I think.

I've got an idea for an FPV flying contest that can be entered from anywhere in the world. And so the build up to the next contest begins! And I plan on entering this time, it sucks being the host and not being able to enter the contests!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

FWIW, I didn't vote because I know a lot of you guys and it's hard to see the entries and not play favorites in the voting process. Having said that, Nic's would have been my choice. If we didn't have such a set goal in what we were looking for I might have voted for Jake or Tucker but Ben and Don had awesome image quality and Yuir had some great graphics and very dynamic footage.

All in all a great collection of talent was displayed.

Bart

J3Cub

Just an idea for future contests... Maybe have different classes like intermediate and pro. That way guys like Jake and I have a better shot of moving up the ranks rather than the pro guys being the obvious winners.
Tucker

nicwilke

FWIW, I didn't vote because I know a lot of you guys and it's hard to see the entries and not play favorites in the voting process. Having said that, Nic's would have been my choice. If we didn't have such a set goal in what we were looking for I might have voted for Jake or Tucker but Ben and Don had awesome image quality and Yuir had some great graphics and very dynamic footage.

All in all a great collection of talent was displayed.

Bart

Thanks Bart, nice feeling to know that I was close, but nowhere near the feeling that gorgeous XM-R would have been in my hands. Why didnt you vote????? LOL. :highly_amused: Kidding. heheh.

Tucker, Good job also, keep it up. If I can ever help you out, let me know.
Nic.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
After blowing things up in front of the FS700 until 5 am I was starting to believe I won that WKM I have. Thanks Tucker for reassuring me I am not going nuts.

Yeah Bart does do a lot for the tribe. Maybe we can come up with a contest for best forum owner video. The prize you ask? A trip to Oakland California! Enjoy a lovely weekend on the sunny beaches of California where you will be treated like a king. Fine Irish Dining(McDonalds), surf, ride dirtbikes, massage by a really sexy masseuse, a house filled with hot women and NO kids. When you are tired and ready to get a good night sleep, enjoy a California king size bed and the soothing sounds of Denny explaining why the zenmuse is the bees knees.

nicwilke

Here's a photo I took with the same setup. Perhaps I should have used it in my video... There's just so much I love about multi-rotors.
View attachment 6428

Attachments

• Hume Wier small.jpg
    Hume Wier small.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 159

Macsgrafs

What shocked me the most was that no one except us showed any aerial photography!!!! Especially considering all the PH mounts state canon 5D or 7D :) ;) ;)
Seems they weren't looking for photos, just videos! whatever I suppose, at least it was a great result for us all & has made me want to get the AV200 & decent cam stabilisation (FY30A sucks) ;)

Ross

nicwilke

What shocked me the most was that no one except us showed any aerial photography!!!! Especially considering all the PH mounts state canon 5D or 7D :) ;) ;)
Seems they weren't looking for photos, just videos! whatever I suppose, at least it was a great result for us all & has made me want to get the AV200 & decent cam stabilisation (FY30A sucks) ;)

Ross

5D and 7D take great video Ross, but I do agree you showed us photo use also. Technically I did sotra say 'wider scope' which could be referring to photos also... LOL, nah... Kidding, i missed it also.
Now losing has deeply sunk in, I have just got to get me one of those XM-6's as the pain won't go away.... :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Macsgrafs

I even spent $39.99 on royalty free music! hope Bens music is royalty free, would hate to see PH, Droidworx & Hoverfly end up in court for copyright breech :) :) :) only messing, of course Ben used royalty free music ;)
Everyone who entered is a winner in my book.....if nothing else it made a great excuse to spend some more paper to buy a better gimbal...whilst talking of gimbals, does the AV200 come with servos or just the gimbal itself???

Ross

nicwilke

I even spent $39.99 on royalty free music! hope Bens music is royalty free, would hate to see PH, Droidworx & Hoverfly end up in court for copyright breech :) :) :) only messing, of course Ben used royalty free music ;)
Everyone who entered is a winner in my book.....if nothing else it made a great excuse to spend some more paper to buy a better gimbal...whilst talking of gimbals, does the AV200 come with servos or just the gimbal itself???

Ross

You make me laugh.....

On photohigher gimbals, yes they come with savox digital servos. What will you stabilize the AV200 with? I can recommend the RSGS Skyline.