Why? Contest entries!

Macsgrafs

You make me laugh.....

On photohigher gimbals, yes they come with savox digital servos. What will you stabilize the AV200 with? I can recommend the RSGS Skyline.

Brilliant, thanks Nic. Yes I want to get the AV200& the RSGS, even though I know there are a few problems...I'm prepaired to get it sorted as I believe its a great stabilisation unit.

Ross

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have the newer av200 and it is great. No issues with the gimbal itself. Its the stabilizer that is the big issue. I use the hoverfly and am very happy with it. I know some made the skyline work but I couldnt do it. It will take time and messing with if you go that route. My only issue with the av200 is that it is large and will catch wind more than a smaller mount like the av130. wit the GH3 coming out i am thinking about going back to the av130. To me, the perfect heli is small to travel with but HUGE as possible in the air so you can fly LOS and see orientation, but also small gimbal and small landing gear to reduce the wind footprint. So far Bart's XY8 design is the closest thing to perfect I have used.

FWIW, I didn't vote because I know a lot of you guys and it's hard to see the entries and not play favorites in the voting process. Having said that, Nic's would have been my choice. If we didn't have such a set goal in what we were looking for I might have voted for Jake or Tucker but Ben and Don had awesome image quality and Yuir had some great graphics and very dynamic footage.

All in all a great collection of talent was displayed.

Bart

Thanks Bart for the compliment on my image quality. The contest was a great learning experience and it did teach me a few things.

Give much more thought to what the contest is really about and try to meet all of the criteria and not just look at quality and avoiding any copyright and trademark infringements, since I do some work in stock photography these 2 things have always been something I have to really aware of.

I may have to pick me up a photohigher gimbal (AV200) for my big X8 octo (built to lift a Nikon D7000, and its a slow work in progress, fixing my crappy soldering job and removing bullet connectors, was a bad idea to use these).

My vid was shot with a GoPro/GoPro 2 hard mounted to the frame with my custom paint mixing stick cam/battery mount, using the Naza FC and F450 frame and I do get some fairly good footage with this setup.

Anyway, thanks for the chance to participate and looking forward to the next challenge.

Ben, lets see come pics of your new setup after you get it built, would love see it.

-Don

Macsgrafs

I have the newer av200 and it is great. No issues with the gimbal itself. Its the stabilizer that is the big issue. I use the hoverfly and am very happy with it. I know some made the skyline work but I couldnt do it. It will take time and messing with if you go that route. My only issue with the av200 is that it is large and will catch wind more than a smaller mount like the av130. wit the GH3 coming out i am thinking about going back to the av130. To me, the perfect heli is small to travel with but HUGE as possible in the air so you can fly LOS and see orientation, but also small gimbal and small landing gear to reduce the wind footprint. So far Bart's XY8 design is the closest thing to perfect I have used.

Iris, was the HF gimbal board easy to use? does it have to be used with a HF FC? or can it be used by a second receiver?

Ross

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
If you are using the Hovefly pro and dont have a 360 gimbal there is no need for it obviously. The Hovergimbal is a totally isolated system which needs another tx to control it. It was easier to setup than I expected. After browsing the manual I was thinking it would be a lot of steps but I really didnt need to do anything to individually taylor it to the av200. You do need to do the basics like level it but that goes without saying for any setup. I am sure if I put some time into it I could finesse it a bit but I am more than happy with it as is. What will be interesting is to see how well it works when there is firmware to support a continuous rotation system where the board mounts direct to the camera tray.

droidworx

Ben! A bit late but with the greatest of appreciation: Congratulations! Fantastic production and truly a showcase of potentiality. And a BIG THANK YOU to all the contestants - you guys have made a huge contribution to this industry by taking such effort to present what is possible. The different angles of approach were brilliant - humorous, highly informative and super inspiring. I can't be happier...!!

The whole idea of this competition was to show potential, to mesmerize, to inform, to inspire. You guys did more than that - your passion and dedication gave it an extra dimension. Your entries will no doubt mesmerize, inform and inspire people for a long while to come. We will create a gallery on our website showing all entries to make them accessible for the wider public.

As is said a few times - although one had to be pronounced as winner, you all did a great job. And you all are offered a big chunk of discount by the sponsors of this competition so at least there's something to show for it... :tennis:

As for Ben - I have or will have soon most of your goodies here in the office for you including motors, props and gimbal - Hoverfly will send you their part of the price directly. We'll arrange details further via email.

Again - thank you all. Keep up the great work! Already thinking about the next contest... I am thinking industry applications? Inspection, survey, fire spotting, geo mapping, civil engineering, SAR, damage assessment - all the great and useful, even lifesaving applications one can think of...? Anyway - let's not get ahead of ourselves... won't be before Christmas in any case... :tennis: Just keep shooting!!

Cheers!
Linda

nicwilke

Already thinking about the next contest... I am thinking industry applications? Inspection, survey, fire spotting, geo mapping, civil engineering, SAR, damage assessment - all the great and useful, even lifesaving applications one can think of...? Anyway - let's not get ahead of ourselves... won't be before Christmas in any case... :tennis: Just keep shooting!!

Cheers!
Linda
This is a grab from my submission. Look in the background and you can see hundreds of ASLAV's M113's and M1A1 Abrahams. Look forward in doing something next year. I heard something about FPV competition, I'll have to sit that one out, I dont use FPV yet.

Attachments

• army.jpg
    army.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 270