Hoverfly What Makes Good Aerial Video

Aerovideo

I couldn't cut together a good video to save myself, but I do have a grasp on how to obtain the aerial footage.

Ha, your rough cuts are better than most of my laborious edits... :)

That's some nice footage, interesting subjects too, fun to watch.

Thanks Chuck and Mike, some great discussion there. I think you're hitting the nail on the head Chuck about why I started the thread and the contributions. I think it has gone well so far and I've learned a lot!

I've also picked up a Nex5T and a 3axis gimbal to carry it. So look for me losing a lot of money crashing soon!

I do intend on building a hand held mount for the 3axis gimbal as Mike mentioned it would definitely be handy on the ground as well, even with a walking "pilot" and a separate cameraman.

Okay, time to sit back and watch the rock climbing video...

Last edited by a moderator:

Breezemont

These guys hit it out of the park for me.
When I built my first tricopter this was the goal - riding motos and carrying a multi to film epic singletrack from the air.
I'm re-inspired.

Av8Chuck

That is really cool and very well done. The only thing I don't understand is why at the beginning he claims that there's no film crew? Obviously there's someone else filming this, unless they have some sort of new follow me software for their quad...

Not that it really matters its still really inspiring.

Breezemont

That's what makes it so cool! How did they do that?
In the comments he says he had the transmitter strapped to his chest.
I can't wait to see the full film, they say there are some behind the scene shots that give it away.

Av8Chuck

Its been ages since anyone has posted, what's happening? Has everyone given up shooting AP? Is everyone so busy that they don't have time to share their production/AP experiences here? Is there not enough value to this discussion? Is everyone tired of people posting shameless self promotion videos like this one : )

It actually has a fair amount of AP in it... OK, it has four AP shots and granted their near the end, and go by pretty quickly, and you've all probably seen them before. But hey, at least I'm still posting something...

Aerovideo

Nice demo Chuck, lots of cool stuff in there. I have to admit I'm a sucker for pretty ladies and cool cars! I'm still really amazed at your safari aerial footage. Wasn't that a Gaui 330x?

As far as posting goes I've been a slacker, I haven't even flown for a month or so. The last flights I made really were just test flights. Been busy at my day job :)

Not to mention that I look for the little icon next to the Hoverfly thread when I come here and it's been grayed out for a long time. I just figured nobody was posting anything anywhere in here. But today I clicked in anyways, low and behold this thread had some activity and it wasn't even reflecting it. That's happened to me before.

I did just get a Nex5T and a 3 axis gimbal for it. So far, I just have it mounted to a hand held camera rig. Not sure if I have the guts/balls to fly with it :D I sure do like the camera though.

I also got a little hand held GoPro 3 axis gimbal setup, I guess I could post a example video from it. No aerial video though... and it's about 4 minutes you'll never get back!

This is all hand held video made with the MobiGo from Quaternium.es

Av8Chuck

I mounted my gimbal on the same handle you used to mount the MobiGo, I got it at some trade show for about $20. It works pretty well but no matter how hard I try you can still see the "walking bounce" in the footage.

Its easy to turn this thread into a discussion about hardware, rather than technique, but wouldn't it be great if there was a small GoPro/NEX gimbal that you could mount on a handle that could be easily disconnected and mounted on a MR in a couple of minutes without having to re-balance or tune it. There seems to be a ton of people trying to build BG's but I haven't really seen too many that might work for this sort of application. 90% of the time I'd use it for handheld shots.

Which gimbal did you get for your NEX? I'd sure like to be able to buy a BG for my NEX that was small, similar to the one in your video and plug-n-play. I'm so tired of having to continually "tune" flight controllers and gimbal controllers.

Stacky

The Quaternium gimbal could easily be mounted on a handle. It comes as a stand alone gopro gimbal or as part of a frame package. I took my Quaternium gimbal off the original frame and mounted it on my Y6 but with just a few minutes work could easily mount it on my waterproof quad or add a handle and make it in to a walk about gimbal. The nicest thing about the quaternium is that it is truely plug and play, no software tuning. Plug in the power and its working.

I mounted my gimbal on the same handle you used to mount the MobiGo, I got it at some trade show for about $20. It works pretty well but no matter how hard I try you can still see the "walking bounce" in the footage.

Its easy to turn this thread into a discussion about hardware, rather than technique, but wouldn't it be great if there was a small GoPro/NEX gimbal that you could mount on a handle that could be easily disconnected and mounted on a MR in a couple of minutes without having to re-balance or tune it. There seems to be a ton of people trying to build BG's but I haven't really seen too many that might work for this sort of application. 90% of the time I'd use it for handheld shots.

Which gimbal did you get for your NEX? I'd sure like to be able to buy a BG for my NEX that was small, similar to the one in your video and plug-n-play. I'm so tired of having to continually "tune" flight controllers and gimbal controllers.

Av8Chuck

Paul, which gimbal did you get for your NEX5? Also, how well do you like the Quaternium gimbal. I think the Hero 3+ might be a better AP camera than the NEX5 especially since it shoots 2.7K @ 48 FPS. I like 1080 @ 60 FPS but its too slow when you use it in a 24 FPS timeline.

It appears that the low light performance is improved as well so it might also make a good walking around on a gimbal type of setup.

Stacky, what do you have to change when you remove it from the hand-held handle and invert it to hang it below your MR?

Also where did you get them and for how much?

Stacky

Paul, which gimbal did you get for your NEX5? Also, how well do you like the Quaternium gimbal. I think the Hero 3+ might be a better AP camera than the NEX5 especially since it shoots 2.7K @ 48 FPS. I like 1080 @ 60 FPS but its too slow when you use it in a 24 FPS timeline.

It appears that the low light performance is improved as well so it might also make a good walking around on a gimbal type of setup.

Stacky, what do you have to change when you remove it from the hand-held handle and invert it to hang it below your MR?

To change it to a hand held would require a bit of diy magic however when i first got it I hooked it up before I put it on my Y6 and tested it out.

This is where to get them and you can see that it wouldnt take much to modify it to add a handle and make it an easy swap by utilizing their 2 rod mounting system.

http://quaternium.es/en/home/47-spidex.html

Mounted on frame to show the 2 rod system.
http://quaternium.es/en/home/68-spidex.html

A little expensive but it really is plug and play.

Im not sure what controller they use and there are no software updates or connection guides because they tune it before sending it out and they are tuned for specific cameras, being gopro 1/2 or the gopro 3

Aerovideo

Hey Chuck,

I picked up the AG500DD gimbal from tppacks.com for my Nex5 camera but I'm not entirely sure I'm sold on it yet. It was pretty spendy for what it is and I could have picked up an all aluminum gimbal from RCTimer for a lot less.

I really like my Nex5T camera, it's an amazing camera with a nice large sensor, but for AP I'm starting to think that the GoPro is really where it's at. I can get some beautiful bokeh with the Nex5 but that's not really all that useful in an aerial video.

The Quaternium stuff comes ready to go, literally plug-n-play for me. Others have had problems but I now have 2 of their 2 axis GoPro aerial gimbals and their new 3 axis hand held gimbal and they all work great right out of the box for me. Plus filming with the GoPro is a lot easier and draws a lot less attention, even with the hand held gimbal. That can be handy.

I think the current line of GoPros tops out at 30 FPS for 2.7k video, but the rumored Hero4 should be fantastic based on the specs released by the company that makes the innards for the GoPro line.

As far as aerial video goes, I have to admit the stance of the FAA really has me nervous at the moment so I haven't really pursued much after my last gig.

Chuck, I've been using the 3+ for a few days now and just put it into ultra wide 1080 48fps for the first time. Wow! Obviously there is going to be distortion at the edges but the horizon stays surprisingly straight and the clarity and largess view put that setting in a class by itself for that size camera. I also use the camera for fpv so it helps in that department as well. There is a a thread in the AV section that is saying the 3+ is a little softer than the BE at distances approaching infinity because GoPro designed it that way. They propose a fix of loosening the lens and twisting until infinity is sharp again. I haven't looked at my video that closely yet to verify and don't plan on touching the lens. It's also lighter than the BE so I've taken advantage of that and started flying with the GoPro case on (sans back cover and mounting hardware).

Av8Chuck

Hi Paul,

I have a HFPro board that has never been used that I'm selling, if your interested in making some sort of trade for your Quaternium gimbal let me know.

DennyR

Chuck, I've been using the 3+ for a few days now and just put it into ultra wide 1080 48fps for the first time. Wow! Obviously there is going to be distortion at the edges but the horizon stays surprisingly straight and the clarity and largess view put that setting in a class by itself for that size camera. I also use the camera for fpv so it helps in that department as well. There is a a thread in the AV section that is saying the 3+ is a little softer than the BE at distances approaching infinity because GoPro designed it that way. They propose a fix of loosening the lens and twisting until infinity is sharp again. I haven't looked at my video that closely yet to verify and don't plan on touching the lens. It's also lighter than the BE so I've taken advantage of that and started flying with the GoPro case on (sans back cover and mounting hardware).

I did not find the sharpness at infinity that much of a problem if you use the sharpen feature in Cineform. It is the distortion that requires some work. I have a couple of 3+ and one is better than the other at infinity for some reason.
:
You can also use Mercali.

DennyR

You can at least do something about that. This is an excellent tutorial for those who want to risk loosing the hitherto ambiguous warrantee that GoPro offers. This camera now becomes a serious contender