XAircraft what is that smell

kloner

Aerial DP
got ol stinky pinky up for a test hover, this was the very first spool up.... had to tighten the gain just a tad

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Kloner you gotta tell us if you are in GPS or not. Try it all out for us. Rth and all. C'mon test monkey! Oo Oo eeek eeek eeek.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I can tell you that the RTH will return the rig to about 2” of where it took off, and the GPS hold is insanely accurate.
but i’ll let Steve tell you as well. :D

kloner

Aerial DP
when the gain was low it felt like a hoverfly with a low gain, slow to fall off hover, where a dii falls rapidly, but having alt hold work so good will make it never comparable.... i only did that flight so far, finishing out the gimbal and will take it all to the field for a tune day and report back.... I'll certainly run all the features, it's going to a customer, don't want him to find out it's dangerous to use....

right there was atti mode, felt a lot like a dii to me but no wind, same flight modes, makes since it'd feel like that. I have a naza v2 rig and this one that can take and compare side by side

one things for sure, the motors came perfect and the props were straight out of the package, tiger 15x5, never calibrated an esc, spent a few minutes calibrating the flight controller and had that.......

kloner

Aerial DP
i.php

i.php

i.php

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
That brings up another question. How is the AH on the SuperX? Is it like DJI where it's always on? I will say DJI's AH is pretty nice. You dont even think about it. On my hoverfly I have to rely on really well tuned throttle curve and a good knowledge of what the heli does at a certain weight. It is very difficult at times to tell the rate of decent when it gets high up and maintain a smooth level flyover. You cant rely on 40% throttle coming down since it isnt based on actual stick position.

kloner

Aerial DP
has atti and gps atti that have the always on AH just like dji.... it has an optional osd like dji does that's on it's way to check out..... cool little unit, great price

flight testing begins over the weekend

Electro 2

That brings up another question. How is the AH on the SuperX?

Unbelivable. You could use a ruler and start counting inches.

Is it like DJI where it's always on?

Yes. On in all flight modes except manual.

I will say DJI's AH is pretty nice. You dont even think about it. On my Hoverfly I have to rely on really well tuned throttle curve and a good knowledge of what the heli does at a certain weight.

With the SX, you don't fly "throttle", per se, you fly altitude rate. The left stick, (assuming Mode 2), is only slightly connected to the motor speed. The altitude correction loop is always on and it's all about rate-of-climb or rate-of-decent. Even a slight bump up will accelerate the motor speed markedly until it reaches a given rate of climb. Obviously, there's a "sling" in the mid-stick region for hold. If you're not used to high-end FCs that do this, it's quite disconcerting on take off as your expecting a more or less linear wind-up with a slow rise. This is not what happens. There's little increase in motor speed until the bottom edge of the capture window of the altitude loop is approached. Then, whammo, motor speeds rise radically and up she goes to a fixed altitude. It takes some getting used to. Very predictable and useable, just not what I'm used to doing. Turns out it's touchy on CG during this operation, too. A slightly high CG, like no gimbal, a small batt pack, or high-side batt packs, can upset the apple cart. I dumped my 1000 on the first 3 takeoffs until I sussed this out. Lower the CG below the boom plane, and all is well. (Slightly OT here, nothing to do with cootch odor, LOL.)

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Good to know about the throttle. Yes I'm used to the Hoverfly pro. May be a bit before I can justify a new controller since this is setup so well and just works. Next Heli though I'll give it a whirl.

Aerovideo

Well I received my Super X today, woohoo. First impressions are impressive, first off... No offensive smell that I can detect, whew ;)

This is one suite looking kit, so far I've only done the unboxing so I can't attest to its abilities just yet but I have to say it's going to be nice not dealing with bare circuit boards. This is a nice set of self contained well machined aluminum cases and they are small. Should make placement a lot easier on a tight frame.

Everything looks really well made and as someone else had mentioned somewhere, the packaging is reminiscent of Apple.

Hopefully get this thing setup on a quad by this weekend.

WOOHOO!

Thanks also to Drew for putting the latest firmware on my SuperX.

Av8Chuck

I placed an order for mine too, hopefully it will arrive before the weekend so I can play along and be one of the "in" crowd..

Electro 2

I would also install 1.08 right up front, if it isn't already in there. Good starter gains are P/R = 1.1, Yaw = 0.9, Altit = 0.9. That'll get you going, crank 'em from there.